Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Switching back to original kernel

Posted by bedek 
Switching back to original kernel
April 05, 2011 05:10PM
Hi,
This is probably for most of you trivial quesiton, how can I switch back to the original kernel shipped with Debian ?
Regards,
Adam.
Re: Switching back to original kernel
April 05, 2011 06:20PM
If you meant the original Dockstar Pogoplug kernel, then unplug the USB Debian stick, cold start, and it will boot back to that.
April 06, 2011 06:03AM
Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm running Debian from USB HDD and I've switched to Jeff's kernel with LED support - now I would like to switch back to original kernel which came with Debian.

PS
Is it possible to release led support as separated module ?
April 07, 2011 08:38AM
Anyone ? please help ! :)
April 07, 2011 02:11PM
Sorry bedek! I've not done this so don't know. Others?
April 13, 2011 03:07PM
Hi,

Still haven't solved this problem - is there anyone who can help me ?

Regards,
Adam.
April 13, 2011 06:30PM
Sorry. Wrong topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 06:31PM by twinclouds.
April 14, 2011 07:01AM
I don't know if you have done a lot of customisation, but if not, why don't you just run the installation script in exactly the same way you did when you first installed Debian?
April 14, 2011 07:16AM
I did a lot of customization on the application level.
Although I was hoping that it's easier process (like it used to be with lilo).
John Doe
April 14, 2011 09:35AM
I don't have a system that I can try this on right now, so I'll just describe the general idea:

Use aptitude or apt-get to uninstall the custom kernel package, then install the Debian kernel. Aptitude makes this a little easier since you don't have to know the exact names. After you have installed the kernel, you may have to use mkimage to prepare the kernel and the initrd for the boot loader (if /boot/uImage is older than /boot/vmlinuz* or /boot/uInitrd is older than /boot/initrd.img.*):

/usr/bin/mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x8000 -e 0x8000 -n Linux-2.6.32-5 -d /boot/vmlinuz-* /boot/uImage
/usr/bin/mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0 -e 0 -n initramfs -d /boot/initrd.img.* /boot/uInitrd

Substitute the actual filenames for vmlinuz-* and initrd.img.* or make sure that there's only one match for each in /boot.

The "flash-kernel" package can be used to automate the mkimage step, which is a good idea if you don't want to worry about automatic kernel updates.
April 14, 2011 10:40AM
As I understand if something will go wrong in this method then my Dockstar will be bricked :) ?

I think I will go for lotus49 method.
John Doe
April 14, 2011 12:55PM
The described method only affects the Debian installation. Worst case it leaves you with an unbootable Debian that you have to replace with a fresh installation. The mkimage commands just wrap the kernel and initrd files in an informative header so that the boot loader knows what to do with them. This step changes neither the boot loader nor the boot loader configuration. The internal flash memory of the Dockstar is not changed in any way. The flash-kernel package does not actually flash the kernel, it just performs these post-installation steps (which on some platforms means flashing the kernel, but not on the Dockstar, which can load the kernel and initrd from a filesystem).
April 16, 2011 12:08PM
I would strongly recommend to back up your USB installation first.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.