Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slow Data transfer rate

Posted by Maddy 
slow Data transfer rate
April 30, 2011 02:43AM
I am using dockstar as NAS. It is attached to router through ethernet cable. My laptop is connected to router through wireless connection. I am getting very slow data transfer rate. Max speed i am getting is 1.5Mbps but usually i get only 240kbps. I have changed file system to ext3 and i have stored all my network data that i access is on NTFS file system. How do i increase data transfer rate. My router support n draft. Please help.
Re: slow Data transfer rate
April 30, 2011 05:09AM
Did you try data transfer without wifi? If you reach higher transfer rates with 100/1000Mbit there might be a problem with your wifi connection. Look at the hotspot's channels around and choose a none taken channel to minimize collisions with other networks or wireless phones if your N uses 2,4GHz.
Also try data transfer from NTFS to NTFS without using the dockstar. What are the rates then?

--
shyd

Goflex Net 3.9.5 | Dockstar 3.9.5 | http://dev.shyd.de
May 01, 2011 06:07AM
My router has only one ethernet port, so i havent tried that. My laptop dont have N draft. I tried copying data from HDD directly with USB cable and max speed is 12.5Mbps to ext3 ubuntu partition and i get same max speed in NTFS to NTFS copy mode.

shyd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you try data transfer without wifi? If you
> reach higher transfer rates with 100/1000Mbit
> there might be a problem with your wifi
> connection. Look at the hotspot's channels around
> and choose a none taken channel to minimize
> collisions with other networks or wireless phones
> if your N uses 2,4GHz.
> Also try data transfer from NTFS to NTFS without
> using the dockstar. What are the rates then?
May 01, 2011 04:09PM
If your laptop doesn't support N draft 1.5Mbps are acceptable rates. If you copy a huge amount of small files the transfer rate decreases, that is normal. What rates do you get when copying large files?

--
shyd

May 02, 2011 06:36AM
This is what I am getting while transferring large files. The file size usually more than 2Gb which takes more than 20 to 30 min. On G draft max supported speed is 54mbps. Is there any way to increase speed than 1.5mbps.
is there any way to in

shyd Wrote:
> If your laptop doesn't support N draft 1.5Mbps are
> acceptable rates. If you copy a huge amount of
> small files the transfer rate decreases, that is
> normal. What rates do you get when copying large
> files?
May 02, 2011 12:53PM
Maddy Wrote:
> This is what I am getting while transferring large
> files. The file size usually more than 2Gb which
> takes more than 20 to 30 min. On G draft max
> supported speed is 54mbps. Is there any way to
> increase speed than 1.5mbps.
> is there any way to in

Upgrade laptop to 802.11n that your router supports, or buy an ethernet switch, or momentarily connect directly to the DockStar using static IPs.
May 04, 2011 09:14AM
I think we have to clarify things. Do you mean Mbps (Megabit per second) or MBps (MegaBYTES per second, MB/s)?

When you say LAN2LAN is about 12.5Mbps you probably mean MBps, because your connection is 100Mbps. 100Mbps/8=12.5MBps (MB/s). Which means that you use 100% of your maximum speed.

Now you have a Wifi connection with 54Mbps. Divided by 8 = 6.75MBps including all headers and frame data. It's quite normal that you only get about 1.5MB/s.

--
shyd

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.