Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

apt-get upgrade kernel update?

Posted by pr0j3ctx 
apt-get upgrade kernel update?
May 26, 2011 07:54AM
Hello.

Firstofall sorry for my bad English.

About a half year ago I have installed Lenny on my two Dockstars with the Installscript from Doozan. Today I have changed Lenny to Squeeze in my sources.list. Now I have big respect for apt-get upgrade because he will install a new Kernel.
I´m not sure If I had prepared all for a Kernel Update.

Why will Debian install linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood if uname -a says me 2.6.33

Can anyone tell me why?

What should I do if use apt-get upgrade. Will there be any problems?

Greetz pr0
Re: apt-get upgrade kernel update?
May 26, 2011 10:38AM
If the older kernel is still installed, then apt-get will find it and try to update it.
Had a similar situation lately. I used my own 2.6.37 kernel, but had forgotten to remove the old kernel. Now apt-get upgrade wanted to update the kernel and I realized my mishap.
May 27, 2011 02:03AM
Hi,

but the kernel installed is newer then this one apt-get want to install.

Can I forbid apt-get installing Kernel Updates. So that I can update all packages without kernel updates?
May 27, 2011 04:13AM
pr0j3ctx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> but the kernel installed is newer then this one
> apt-get want to install.
>
> Can I forbid apt-get installing Kernel Updates. So
> that I can update all packages without kernel
> updates?

You didn't really understand my posting, did you?
When apt-get upgrade tells you that there is an update for the old kernel, than it is obviously still installed! One can have more than one kernel installed, that's why. You may be using the newer kernel, but the older one is still there, too.

So, if you don't need the older kernel (that's what is seems like), then uninstall it and your problem is solved!
May 30, 2011 03:04AM
Hello ingmar.

No I didn´t. But now I have understand. I didn´t know that there can be more Kernelversions installed. Tonight I will test uninstall the old kernel.

Thanks.

Greats,
pr0
May 30, 2011 11:33AM
Good luck. Normally it should all go well without any trouble. You seem to have used the newer kernel anyway, so the old one is unused ATM and the uninstall should have no ill effect.

Just use "apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood". After that the upgrade problem should be history.
May 31, 2011 05:26AM
Big Thank you

It works as it should be.
May 31, 2011 02:12PM
Good to hear that it worked. ;-)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.