> dinlaca Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Will you and/or Jeff be making one of Jeff's
> improved U-boot's with this ID?
>
> I described the version of u-boot that I built in
> this post.

In the post you reference, you state: "the LED support in this version is hard-wired, not configurable via environment variables like Jeff's version."

Any chance that we can get the best of all worlds, with your changes (that know the Dockstar ID, and others), and Jeff's configurability via environmental variables?

My apologies if this is a noobie question (I am a Linux newbite, admittedly). And, thanks again.
Re: Howto: Build a new Debian kernel with LED support
September 17, 2010 04:12PM
I think we should be using proper machine IDs rather than overloading sheevaplug. I plan to add support a configurable arcNumber variable in the uBoot environment so we can make the transition a little easier.

-- Jeff
September 18, 2010 03:48PM
I downloaded the image file from jeff and followed the instructions. Everything went great except that the led remains orange after blinking green. Any suggestions?
josen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> objcopy --add-gnu-debuglink=/usr/local/src/linux-2.6.35.4/debian/linux-image-2.6.35.4-dockstar/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules2.6.35.4-dockstar/kernel/net/xfrm/xfrm_user.ko /usr/local/src/linux-2.6.35.4/debian/linux-image-2.6.35.4-dockstar/lib/modules2.6.35.4-dockstar/kernel/net/xfrm/xfrm_user.ko
> objcopy: Unable to recognise the format of the input file
>
> Or is the codesourcery environment not used by
> kernel-package here?

I had the same problem. This seems to be an kernel-package issue. If you interupt the process fast enough and scroll back before the first error you can see a part of the script with a "direct" call to objcopy.
I created a symbolic link to arm-none-linux-gnueabi-objcopy called objcopy in the codesourcery directory. Since this will be searched before the usual path, the "right" objcopy will be called inside the codesourcery environment.

cd /usr/local/codesourcery/arm-2009q3/bin/
ln -s arm-none-linux-gnueabi-objcopy objcopy

rerun build process 
(you might need to mv System.preblabla System.map if continueing a previous build with this error)

While trying to fix this issue I found another toolchain from the Emdebian project. I just compiled a new kernel with it, works fine.
http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianToolchain
September 26, 2010 10:27PM
new heavy kernel online
September 27, 2010 01:42AM
where?
September 27, 2010 06:44AM
Evilandi666
September 28, 2010 12:01PM
Hi Jeff and all,

i am trying to build a module for the wlan stick DLINK DWL-G122 E1, i use Jeff's led kernel (linux-image-2.6.32-dockstar_1.1_armel.deb),

but i when i try to load the module with modprobe, it always says "Invalid module format", this happens because i used the wrong kernel headers for compiling.

Because i don't have headers for jeffs self compiled led kernel, i used linux-headers-2.6.32-5-kirkwood - that should work but modprobe says no because of the changed name ;)

Could you tell me how to get the right headers for jeffs led kernel?
(could you provide linux-headers-2.6.32-dockstar_1.1_armel.deb?)

or any other way how to make the DLINK DWL-G122 E1 (Ralink RT3070) work on dockstar?

Thx!

Sry for bad english!
Evilandi666
September 28, 2010 05:48PM
Don't need it anymore!

Evilandi666 Wrote:
> Hi Jeff and all,
>
> i am trying to build a module for the wlan stick
> DLINK DWL-G122 E1, i use Jeff's led kernel
> (linux-image-2.6.32-dockstar_1.1_armel.deb),
>
> but i when i try to load the module with modprobe,
> it always says "Invalid module format", this
> happens because i used the wrong kernel headers
> for compiling.
>
> Because i don't have headers for jeffs self
> compiled led kernel, i used
> linux-headers-2.6.32-5-kirkwood - that should work
> but modprobe says no because of the changed name
> ;)
>
> Could you tell me how to get the right headers for
> jeffs led kernel?
> (could you provide
> linux-headers-2.6.32-dockstar_1.1_armel.deb?)
>
> or any other way how to make the DLINK DWL-G122 E1
> (Ralink RT3070) work on dockstar?
>
> Thx!
>
> Sry for bad english!
scheich
September 30, 2010 03:22AM
I would be interested too in the headers for this kernel.

Just bought my dockstar yesterday and I wanted to build the right module for my webcam which needs Ov51x.
October 01, 2010 02:15AM
I followed the instuctions
cd /tmp
wget http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/linux-image-2.6.32-dockstar_1.1_armel.deb

cd /boot

# Create the images for uBoot
/usr/bin/mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel  -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-2.6.32-5 -d /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-dockstar /boot/uImage

/usr/bin/mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs -d /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-dockstar /boot/uInitrd

The last command gives me:
Can't open /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-dockstar: No such file or directory

What did I do wrong?

edit: Just saw:
dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.32-dockstar_1.1_armel.deb
Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-2.6.32-dockstar.
(Reading database ... 17361 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-image-2.6.32-dockstar (from linux-image-2.6.32-dockstar_1.1_armel.deb) ...
Done.
Setting up linux-image-2.6.32-dockstar (1.1) ...

Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/2.6.32-dockstar/build
 However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/2.6.32-dockstar/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/2.6.32-dockstar/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/2.6.32-dockstar/source

Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.

I did not reboot my Dock, I need help fixing this.

edit: Nevermind. It's Lennys fault. On squeeze it works like a charm. Thanks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 07:02AM by metacircle.
rat
November 24, 2010 12:18AM
hapeba Wrote:
> "linux-image-2.6.32-dockstar_1.1_armel.deb" the
> cammand "echo heartbeat" never works.
>
> Is this an error ?

I rolled out Jeff's linked custom kernel with the LED support and heartbeat is still not a valid option. However, of my available options under trigger... "mmc0" is one. I tried it.

It's heartbeat.

rat@redstone:/etc# cat /sys/class/leds/dockstar:green:health/trigger
none [nand-disk] timer default-on mmc0

echo mmc0 > /sys/class/leds/dockstar:orange:health/trigger

to enable heartbeat on orange.
rat
November 29, 2010 04:17PM
When booting up the system after having to shut it down for some hardware mods... the light stopped coming on after it would go through the bootup process. Now it looks like the system went back to using the kirkwood kernel instead of the dockstar one despite it still being installed.

Obviously I never did the apt-get remove part for the old kernel. What do I need to do now to get it to switch back to the proper kernel without breaking anything?
rat
November 29, 2010 06:30PM
Jeff Wrote:
> I think we should be using proper machine IDs
> rather than overloading sheevaplug. I plan to add
> support a configurable arcNumber variable in the
> uBoot environment so we can make the transition a
> little easier.
>
> -- Jeff

Running into a bit of a problem with this.

I was running the dockstar kernel you provided when the system decided to boot from the kirkwood kernel instead for some reason. Anticipating this may be a regular issue when apt-get update/upgrade is involved and the kernel is expected to change sometime... I looked into the uBoot and arcNumber stuff.

I have the 10/23 version of uBoot.
Installing the script for uBoot flashing says I have the latest version.
Running: fw_setenv arcNumber 2998 returns with 'command not found.' Even when in the /usr/bin directory.

I can't change the arcNumber on my uBoot and the updated kernel on my Debian install has zero support for the LED.

It only shows plug:green:health under /sys/class/leds but changing the trigger always results in a Permission Denied error unless done as SU, and changing the trigger status does nothing. It can go from default-on to mmc0 and the light remains off. There is no orange led setting anywhere.

rat@redstone:/etc$ echo default-on > /sys/class/leds/plug:green:health/trigger
-bash: /sys/class/leds/plug:green:health/trigger: Permission denied
rat@redstone:/etc$ sudo echo default-on > /sys/class/leds/plug:green:health/trigger
-bash: /sys/class/leds/plug:green:health/trigger: Permission denied
rat@redstone:/etc$ cd /sys/class/leds
rat@redstone:/sys/class/leds$ ls
plug:green:health
rat@redstone:/sys/class/leds$ cd plug:green:health
rat@redstone:/sys/class/leds/plug:green:health$ ls
brightness device max_brightness power subsystem trigger uevent
rat@redstone:/sys/class/leds/plug:green:health$ cat trigger
none nand-disk timer [default-on] mmc0
rat@redstone:/sys/class/leds/plug:green:health$ echo none > trigger
-bash: trigger: Permission denied
rat@redstone:/sys/class/leds/plug:green:health$ sudo echo none > trigger
-bash: trigger: Permission denied
rat@redstone:/sys/class/leds/plug:green:health$ su
Password:
root@redstone:/sys/class/leds/plug:green:health# sudo echo none > trigger
root@redstone:/sys/class/leds/plug:green:health# sudo echo default-on > trigger

Suggestions?
November 29, 2010 06:51PM
rat, you went into several issues, so I'll separate them out.

If you've run apt-get upgrade lately, then you've no doubt downloaded a new kirkwood kernel; there have been several updates to the kernel over the past couple of months, as squeeze incorporates patches to become the stable distribution. I can't speak for it overwriting any other kernel you've installed. But, if you don't want to use kirkwood at all, you might want to apt-get remove it after you've re-installed the kernel package you'd like to use.

fw_setenv and fw_printenv live in /usr/sbin, not /usr/bin; /usr/sbin isn't always in the default path.

If your LEDs show up under plug:green:health, then I'm not sure what kernel you're running; it's not one of the the more recent kirkwood kernels. In that kernel, they show up as /sys/class/leds/dockstar:green:health and /sys/class/leds/dockstar:orange:misc.

You can tell what kernel you're running with "uname -a". For examine, mine reads: "Linux dockstar 2.6.32-5-kirkwood #1 Wed Oct 20 12:58:44 UTC 2010 armv5tel GNU/Linux" However, I know mine isn't the most recent, as an apt-get dist-upgrade this morning installed a new one and I haven't rebooted.

The version number won't tell you anything; it's been the same version for months as that's what's going to be the version when squeeze goes stable. The date tells you if it's current. Also, the output of "dpkg -l linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood" (mine's currently 2.6.32-28, but as I said, I'm not currently running the most recent installed version as I haven't rebooted for over a month now).

It also makes sense that you can't update the LEDs as non-root; the files are all owned by root. Can't have random users going around changing the LED status of the computer, can you?

So things to do:
  1. Make sure you're running a kirkwood kernel by running uname -a
  2. Re-install Jeff's kernel if you prefer to use that, but nowadays I don't think it gets you anything as the official kernel has Dockstar support (if you specify the arcNumber to 2998)
  3. Make sure you run mkimage after installing whatever kernel you install, or make sure dpkg runs it for you

For #3, I have a script I run manually after uImage or uBoot get updated, based on various posts in the forums:
dockstar:~# cat /usr/local/bin/update_kernel_images 
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel  -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-2.6.32-5 -d /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood /boot/uImage
/usr/bin/mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs -d /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-kirkwood /boot/uInitrd

There's a package you can install that'll sometimes do that for you (package name is flash-kernel, but see http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,1820,1846#msg-1846 first), but for myself I find it more comforting to do it manually. To each his/her own.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 06:33AM by ayrlander.
rat
November 29, 2010 07:18PM
>But, if you don't want to use kirkwood at all, you might want to apt-get remove it
>after you've re-installed the kernel package you'd like to use.

That was part of the problem. Got a few scary warnings about the dockstar kernel already existing and that things might break. Hence my post before the one you responded to. And yes, I'm certain it's booting into the kirkwood kernel based on uname -a, the login message (Linux redstone 2.6.32-5-kirkwood #1 Sun Oct 31 11:19:32 UTC 2010 armv5tel), among other things, like the completely changed led descriptors and the fact that they're broken.

>fw_setenv and fw_printenv live in /usr/sbin, not /usr/bin; /usr/sbin isn't always in the default path.

Typoed that one. I was in the sbin dir when I typed it out.

Pogoplug:/usr/sbin$ fw_setenv arcNumber 2998
-bash: fw_setenv: command not found
Pogoplug:/usr/sbin$

I followed this bit in the uBoot thread:

>If you're running a kernel that supports your device, you should set the proper machine
>ID by running 'fw_setenv arcNumber 2998' (on a Dockstar/Pogoplug)

No dice. Hence the problem.
November 29, 2010 07:25PM
I'm hoping they didn't break support for the LEDs in a later kernel, but odds are, they're not showing up properly because of the arcNumber issue; the kernel doesn't know you're running a Dockstar if that isn't set, I believe, so it's not giving you Dockstar LED configurations.

Sanity check: does "ls -l /usr/sbin/fw_setenv" show an executable? If so, then it's probably still a path problem; root doesn't have "'." in the path, so you'd need to run it as /usr/sbin/fw_setenv instead.

If it doesn't, you have a bigger issue. :-) See if you have the package "uboot-envtools" installed; that's where the fw_ scripts come from. Also make sure the file /etc/fw_env.config exists:
dockstar 216% cat /etc/fw_env.config 
# MTD device name       Device offset   Env. size       Flash sector size       Number of sectors
/dev/mtd0 0xc0000 0x20000 0x20000
rat
November 29, 2010 08:10PM
>I'm hoping they didn't break support for the LEDs in a later kernel, but odds are,

In a sort, they did. Maybe. Not sure. Heh...

They renamed dockstar:orange:health to dockstar:orange:misc (which broke a few things as I preferred orange to green)

They removed mmc0 from both green and orange, the heartbeat equivalent...

OOOOORRRRR... both of those things were always that way and the pogoplug and dockstar debian kernels both had features and naming conventions I was using that disappeared in the 'proper' kernel.

So I tried fixing everything to absolutely safe strings (plug:green:health), and they weren't working either.

>they're not showing up properly because of the arcNumber issue;

That was the rest of it. I had a d'oh! moment after my post and decided to try the command when booted into debian. Had to sudo it and reboot, then I finally got the led back. Kinda missing heartbeat because I used that to indicate that the system had halted... but I guess I'll live. ;)

There's timer, but just really not up for fiddling with that for now after this headache.

(And I learned another issue in the process: The dockstar kinda hates it if you boot with the USB LCD Picframe plugged in, or rather... debian and scripts that depend on drive letterings)
November 29, 2010 09:27PM
ayrlander Wrote:
> If your LEDs show up under plug:green:health, then
> I'm not sure what kernel you're running; it's not
> one of the the more recent kirkwood kernels. In
> that kernel, they show up as
> /sys/class/leds/dockstar:green:health and
> /sys/class/leds/dockstar:orange:misc.

Hi ayrlander. Thanks for your post above. I was still running the kernel provided (dated Oct 31) when I ran Jeff's installer several weeks ago. Like rat, I also saw "plug:green:health". It was indeed a kirkwood kernel.

Based on your post, I tried an apt-get upgrade. It updated the kernel (along with lots of other things, of course). I then rebooted, and still saw "plug:green:health", although the kernel was now dated Nov 26. I then rebooted to uboot, and without saving the environment, changed arcNumber from 2097 to 2998, and then issued the "boot" command. This should temporarily change the arcNumber for one boot. No change. "dmesg | grep Machine" still showed "[ 0.000000] Machine: Marvell SheevaPlug Reference Board", and the LED stuff still was "plug:green:health".

Finally, I bit the bullet and changed the arcNumber to 2998, saved it to the uBoot environment, and rebooted. This did the trick. Now my dmesg reads:

$ dmesg | grep -i dock
[ 0.000000] Machine: Seagate FreeAgent DockStar
[ 23.537354] Registered led device: dockstar:green:health
[ 23.542778] Registered led device: dockstar:orange:misc
I think the problem rat is having is that he hasn't succeeded in changing his arcNumber.

A side question: How is the arcNumber passed to the kernel? It doesn't appear in the arg lists. And it seems that, unlike other uBoot variables, it can't be temporarily changed for one boot. Instead, it seems to have to be committed to the uBoot saved environment to work.
Anyway, again, thanks for the info.
November 30, 2010 06:17AM
Glad you both got it working. How the arcNumber is read and used by the kernel would be a question for Jeff or for ecc, as he submitted and had approved the kernel patch to get the LEDs working. But this might help a little: http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/ArcNumber
rat
November 30, 2010 06:00PM
Did a little digging for how to duplicate the heartbeat function using timer.

http://www.plugapps.com/index.php5?title=DockStar_LED

# cd /sys/class/leds/dockstar\:orange\:misc
# echo timer > trigger
# ls
brightness delay_off delay_on device max_brightness power subsystem trigger uevent
# echo 1000 > delay_on
# echo 1000 > delay_off

Looks like it's limited to one time value setting for on and off each, so no double beat (which would involve two separate delay_off values alternating)... Attempting to echo anything more than a single numerical value gives you a write error message... but just as attention getting is:

root@redstone:/sys/class/leds/dockstar:orange:misc# cat delay_on
root@redstone:/sys/class/leds/dockstar:orange:misc# cat delay_off

Which is just great as a halt indicator.

Also fun is to use green on top of that. Using a delay_on of 150 for green created this drifting pattern where they go from in to out of sync back into sync again.

Unfortunately, any value that you set for green and orange via script will effectively start at the same time, so if you wanted to have them pulse 20ms apart from each other but following the same 100 on/1000 off pattern, you'd have to script in a pause/delay when starting it or set it manually.
November 30, 2010 06:13PM
January 23, 2011 11:16AM
Hi

I try to build my own kernel. Everything works perfect.....until the make command...I was abel to run the codesourcery....but when I start to run the make I go an error....First of allI think there must be a "blank" between the make and -kpkg.....so that should bee fine.....

codesourcery-arm-2009q3.sh
make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --arch armel --cross-compile arm-none-linux-gnueabi- --append-to-version=-dockstar --revision=1.1 --initrd kernel_image

If I start the make command I get the following error..

make: invalid option -- g
make: unrecognized option `--rootcmd'
make: unrecognized option `--arch'
make: unrecognized option `--cross-compile'
make: unrecognized option `--append-to-version=-dockstar'
make: unrecognized option `--revision=1.1'
make: unrecognized option `--initrd'
Usage: make [options] [target] ...
Options:
-b, -m Ignored for compatibility.
-B, --always-make Unconditionally make all targets.
-C DIRECTORY, --directory=DIRECTORY
Change to DIRECTORY before doing anything.
-d Print lots of debugging information.
--debug[=FLAGS] Print various types of debugging information.
-e, --environment-overrides
Environment variables override makefiles.
-f FILE, --file=FILE, --makefile=FILE
Read FILE as a makefile.
-h, --help Print this message and exit.
-i, --ignore-errors Ignore errors from commands.
-I DIRECTORY, --include-dir=DIRECTORY
Search DIRECTORY for included makefiles.
-j [N], --jobs[=N] Allow N jobs at once; infinite jobs with no arg.
-k, --keep-going Keep going when some targets can't be made.
-l [N], --load-average[=N], --max-load[=N]
Don't start multiple jobs unless load is below N.
-L, --check-symlink-times Use the latest mtime between symlinks and target.
-n, --just-print, --dry-run, --recon
Don't actually run any commands; just print them.
-o FILE, --old-file=FILE, --assume-old=FILE
Consider FILE to be very old and don't remake it.
-p, --print-data-base Print make's internal database.
-q, --question Run no commands; exit status says if up to date.
-r, --no-builtin-rules Disable the built-in implicit rules.
-R, --no-builtin-variables Disable the built-in variable settings.
-s, --silent, --quiet Don't echo commands.
-S, --no-keep-going, --stop
Turns off -k.
-t, --touch Touch targets instead of remaking them.
-v, --version Print the version number of make and exit.
-w, --print-directory Print the current directory.
--no-print-directory Turn off -w, even if it was turned on implicitly.
-W FILE, --what-if=FILE, --new-file=FILE, --assume-new=FILE
Consider FILE to be infinitely new.
--warn-undefined-variables Warn when an undefined variable is referenced.

This program built for i486-pc-linux-gnu
Report bugs to <bug-make@gnu.org>

# Make data base, printed on Sun Jan 23 12:13:28 2011

# Variables

# environment
SHELL = /bin/bash
# environment
_ = /usr/bin/make
# environment
SSH_CONNECTION = 192.100.100.182 53647 192.100.100.193 22
# environment
PATH = /usr/local/codesourcery/arm-2009q3/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
# environment
SSH_TTY = /dev/pts/0
# default
.FEATURES := target-specific order-only second-expansion else-if archives jobserver check-symlink
# environment
PWD = /usr/src/linux-2.6.37
# environment
HOME = /root
# environment
LOGNAME = root
# default
MAKECMDGOALS := fakeroot armel arm-none-linux-gnueabi- kernel_image
# environment
SHLVL = 3
# environment
USER = root
# environment
OLDPWD = /usr/src
# default
.VARIABLES :=
# environment
ARCH = arm
# environment
SSH_CLIENT = 192.100.100.182 53647 22
# environment
MAIL = /var/mail/root
# environment
CROSS_COMPILE = arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
# environment
PS1 = \h:\w\$
# environment
LANG = en_US.UTF-8
# environment
TERM = xterm
# variable set hash-table stats:
# Load=21/1024=2%, Rehash=0, Collisions=0/35=0%

# Pattern-specific Variable Values

# No pattern-specific variable values.

# Directories

# No files, no impossibilities in 0 directories.

# Implicit Rules

# No implicit rules.

# Files

# Not a target:
kernel_image:
# Command-line target.
# Implicit rule search has not been done.
# Modification time never checked.
# File has not been updated.

# Not a target:
fakeroot:
# Command-line target.

# Not a target:
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-:
# Command-line target.

# Not a target:
armel:
# Command-line target.

# files hash-table stats:
# Load=4/1024=0%, Rehash=0, Collisions=0/4=0%
# VPATH Search Paths

# No `vpath' search paths.

# No general (`VPATH' variable) search path.

# # of strings in strcache: 0
# # of strcache buffers: 0
# strcache size: total = 0 / max = 0 / min = 4096 / avg = 0
# strcache free: total = 0 / max = 0 / min = 4096 / avg = 0

# Finished Make data base on Sun Jan 23 12:13:28 2011

In addition I would like to know where do I find the "Image" file after the compilation............

Thanks in advance
Christian
January 23, 2011 11:31AM
Hi

Please ignore my last post...I did find my error..I have not installed the Kernel.-Package......So the command is working....:-)
make-kpkg .....(

But I´m still lokking for my .deb file.....:-)

Christian
ingmar_k
January 23, 2011 04:01PM
If it compiles successfully the deb-package is written in the directory one step up. "cd .." ;-)
So, if you compiled in "/usr/src/linux-2.6.37/", for example, you should find the debfile in "/usr/src". If it's not there then something probably went wrong.
January 26, 2011 01:21PM
@all kernel bakers:

To get minimal presettings in your kernel, just use:
make kirkwood_defconfig

For compiling I used this presetting as base and made a few changes that Jeff has already in his kernel config.
Now I'm running a small kernel that works fine :-)
February 02, 2011 03:51PM
Hi,
I already compiled a 2.6.37 with LED support and it works. But now I have two questions:
1. I want the heartbeat mode on startup, what do I have to patch or modify to get it back?
2. Can I simply rename the LEDs back to health and misc by editing Jeff's patch, or will this cause something I don't want to happen?

Thanks
shyd
william
February 07, 2011 08:19PM
my led stays orange even after 30 minutes...
February 07, 2011 08:24PM
my led stays orange even after 30 minutes...

cat /etc/rc.local
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

echo none > /sys/class/leds/dockstar:orange:health/trigger
echo default-on > /sys/class/leds/dockstar:green:health/trigger
exit 0

dmesg | grep -i dock
[    0.000000] Linux version 2.6.32-dockstar (2.6.32) 
[    2.072585] Registered led device: dockstar:green:health
[    2.077999] Registered led device: dockstar:orange:health
[    2.830441] usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.32-dockstar ehci_hcd

I dont understand why it stays Solid Orange
February 23, 2011 02:01PM
Which arcNumber is your u-boot using?

You can find out by typing:
fw_printenv arcNumber

If it tells you 2097, you will have to tell the dockstar kernel that the device is a dockstar.
The default value of 2097 is coming with Jeff's uboot installer and the correct arcNumber for dockstar have to be set manually if you are using a non-patched kernel.

To tell the kernel the right environment, just set
fw_setenv arcNumber 2998
and the correct set for dockstar will be used.
In addition just look at /sys/class/leds/ to make sure you have the right names for the leds.

With newer kernel releases there is no need to apply the dockstar-patch - it is already included. You just have to set the right arcNumber.
Earlier kernel versions had no branch for the dockstar device, only sheevaplug, thus the patch...

To set the heartbeat as default, you can simply bake it into the kernel (there is an extra option to select). Otherwise you will have to load it as module.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.