Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Choice of init system

Posted by leitmotiv 
Choice of init system
March 17, 2018 10:52AM
Hello!

having recently upgraded my (neglected) Dockstar to Debian stretch (stock install), I was left locked out of the system, which took me some time to fix, because of my being (mis)led into thinking systemd was broken, wheras the real problem was it not starting dropbear, because some previously undetected file system corruption in my /home fs triggered systemd's emergency mode.

I looked up a way to persuade systemd to start dropbear nevertheless, but it just seemed too damn complicated.

Long story short: I'm considering switching the init system to something easier to deal with. bodhi's Debian rootfs is still relying on sysvinit, although, from what I gather, Debian are no longer guaranteeing that it will work in the future.

Even though I have been a Linux user in some capacity for many years, my knowledge is somewhat shallow, and I rely on the system taking care of itself as much as possible.

OpenRC, from Gentoo, is also available as an alternative on Debian that should be working out of the box.

Seeking your wisdom and advice? Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 05:19PM by leitmotiv.
Re: Choice of init system
March 17, 2018 04:51PM
leitmotiv,

Stay with sysvinit for now. No need to worry about it being obsolete yet.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 18, 2018 03:59PM
Hi bodhi. Thanks for the prompt reply, as well as all the work you do on plug computers.

Any particular reason why you would not recommend switching to OpenRC just yet?
March 18, 2018 04:23PM
leitmotiv,

> Any particular reason why you would not recommend
> switching to OpenRC just yet?

Not really. I think OpenRC is good to. I was just making comment on sysvinit. I think it will be with us for a long while, eventhough it is not being updated.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 22, 2018 02:40PM
That's good to know.

Concerning sysvinit, Debian gave me a warning, during the stretch upgrade IIRC, that future versions of the daemon packages may no longer come with sysvinit scripts, i.e. maintainers can decide to drop them at any point in time without any consequence?
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.