Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question how to build kernel Kernel 4.15.2 Kirkwood?

Posted by habibie 
Question how to build kernel Kernel 4.15.2 Kirkwood?
April 11, 2018 09:18PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> habibie,
>
> > Bodhi, can you provide the link to download the source package for this? I would like to build my own.
>
> Everything you need to build the kernel inside the tarball: config file and patches.
>
First, where is the config file? Second, does it include the package manager's Makefile so that I can build it as a package to install?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 09:42PM by bodhi.
Re: Question how to build kernel Kernel 4.15.2 Kirkwood?
April 11, 2018 09:45PM
habibie,

> First, where is the config file?

Inside the tarball.

> Second, does it
> include the package manager's Makefile so that I
> can build it as a package to install?

No. Not like that.

I'd suggest you learn how to build the kernel from patch file, config file , and kernel source tree (google it).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 09:46PM by bodhi.
April 12, 2018 07:49AM
Bodhi, I don't have problem to build the kernel with patches. The only problem I have is I don't want to waste my time to re-invent the wheel to write the Makefile scripts just to package the compiled binary kernel for installation if that has already been done. I see you offer such a binary package ready to install and thought you may wanna share such a Makefile script. If you don't feel like to share it, I can understand.
April 12, 2018 05:01PM
habibie,

The Makefile is always in the kernel source tree. Basically, I have no customization on top of the kernel tree, other than the code patches, and the config file. Building kernel packages instruction can be found on the net, litterally hundreds of hits when you search for it.

Just to clarify, as a matter of policy, I don't discuss building kernel or u-boot, because it will add significantly to my workload on this forum. I'd rather spend my free time helping troubleshoot problems, or bringing up a new board, because that kind of helps you can't easily find anywhere. Now when you already doing building kernel, and might hit a roadblock that you cannot figure out the answer, that type of questions is OK.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 05:02PM by bodhi.
April 12, 2018 11:39PM
Boshi,

I am not asking for help on how to build and/or compile any versions of Linux kernel which I already know how to do that. All I asked is the scripting file used on the debian buildroot tree to package the compiled binary kernel files as a package. This way, I can simply install it as a package, instead of copying to over write the existing Linux kernel binary files on my device.
April 12, 2018 11:51PM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Boshi,
>
> I am not asking for help on how to build and/or
> compile any versions of Linux kernel which I
> already know how to do that. All I asked is the
> scripting file used on the debian buildroot tree
> to package the compiled binary kernel files as a
> package.

This kernel package is Debian based. There is no buildroot tree involved.

> This way, I can simply install it as a
> package, instead of copying to over write the
> existing Linux kernel binary files on my device.

Right. You just need to learn how to build Debian kernel packages using Debian official tools straight from the Debian repo.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 12, 2018 11:55PM
Bodhi, OK and thank you.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.