Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GoFlex Net without UBIT

Posted by squeezeplug 
GoFlex Net without UBIT
August 30, 2011 04:43PM
Hi,
I've read all the post about Goflex Net and I'm a bit confused:

Is it possible to get the GoFlex Net device boot without UBIT. And if yes: Do the SATA ports (both) work, if I use a newer kernel with SATA support?

And if the answers are "Yes" how does this work.

Greetings,
Thomas
Re: GoFlex Net without UBIT
August 31, 2011 03:37AM
August 31, 2011 04:39AM
What about the SATA mirroring bug when using Jeff's UBOOT?
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,3543,4986#msg-4986
AFAIK you can only use the SATA port on the RHS, whereas the one on the LHS doesn't recognize HDDs at all.
August 31, 2011 06:55AM
^ The issue is only within uBoot. Once it has booted debian both ports are accessible.
August 31, 2011 07:38AM
O.K., Sounds good, nice page!

So, as far as I understood, Jeff's method for Dockstar works on GoFlex as well. I thought I've tried it some month ago and it did not work. The result was a bricked Goflex so I'm scared to trie it again.

1. So if I use Jeff's method I'll get a Goflex booting from USB but without SATA support, right?

2. If I then use your kernel I should get SATA-Support right?

3. But this only works for one of the SATA ports. Or does it work on both and booting is only possible from one port?

4. If I have already installed peaslakers UBIT enviroment am I able to use Jeff's metode to change back the UBIT stuff?

Thanks a lot,
Greetings,
Thomas
August 31, 2011 07:57AM
varkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ^ The issue is only within uBoot. Once it has
> booted debian both ports are accessible.

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't really aware of that.

@squeezeplug
I believe it should be pointed out, that before messing with Jeff's uBOOT you should enable netconsole first
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14,14
(on UBIT netconsole is enabled by default). As long as netconsole is working, one can almost always recover the GoFlex Net, no matter in which state the rootfs is.
August 31, 2011 08:28AM
So the answer to my questions 1, 2, 3 amd 4 is "yes" right?

And you think I should get netconsole to work, right?

Sorry that I ask twice but I wont to be sure I understand everythink and I don't like to blow up my device!

I've order a USB-Serial cable yesterday so I'll will be able to revert everything if I'll get a bricked device.
September 01, 2011 04:02PM
Hi,
tonight I ran Jeff's Debian install script on my GoFlex Net. The installation process went wrong at Debian bootstrapping. That was not a big problem, because I had a working Debian stick i place. Booting from this stick works fine! But now I got some more questions / problems:

1. The Goflex Net does not boot Pogo from the NAND anymore. I think this is the normal behavior on GoFlex Net, right?

2. I like to take a look at the uboot settings and maybe change the arcNumber to 3089. I can't do that from my Debian Stick because fw_setenv is not installed. How can I install it and will it work from the Debian-System?

3. I like to install netconsole und the GoFlex device. how can I do this?

4. Is there a way to install Jeff's rescue-System on the GoFlex Net NAND?

Thanks a lot,
Thomas
September 02, 2011 09:37AM
1. I don't have a GoFlex but I believe that is normal from reading other posts.

2. apt-get install uboot-envtools uboot-mkimage

(I'm pretty sure those are packages. I still have no power from the storm that ravaged the north east US so I can't check my device.)

uboot-envtools provides fw_printevn and fw_setenv
uboot-mkimage provides mkimage which is needed to produce uboot compatible kernel and initrd images

3. http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14

This will provide netconsole for uboot. You can also provide netconsole for the linux kernel. Google it. You'll need to update your uboot environment to add the correct kernel command line parameters for it.

4. I don't know if there's space for it, but there is a way to run the rescue system from usb and tftp which should work:

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,1871
September 03, 2011 01:00AM
You can install Jeff's Rescue System to the NAND on the GoFlex too, but for some reason the default memory location where the kernel image is loaded doesn't work, so I had to alter the rescue boot command as given in this post to make it work -- http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,3896,5126#msg-5126
September 03, 2011 01:20AM
Thanks for that! It's working.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.