Shyd's Installer to a USB harddrive?
October 24, 2011 08:49PM
Managed to finally get Debian working for an install on a Dockstar. But upon reboot - both software and hard power cord removed reboot, it still boots to the PogoPlug software :(

Installation is to a Seagate USB 2 harddrive - Freeagent GoFlex Desk 2TB.

The installation goes all the way through and appears to be fine. It gets to the point where it says to reboot the device.

I tried this twice unsuccessfully.

Noticed this problem perhaps during the second installation attempt:

# Validating existing uBoot...
Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 64
Dumping data starting at 0x00000000 and ending at 0x00080000...
Connecting to jeff.doozan.com (69.163.187.226:80)
valid-uboot.md5 100% |************************************************************************************************************| 756 --:--:-- ETA
## Unknown uBoot detected on mtd0: cda50a8940d55883818294828ce493e6
##
## The installer could not detect the version of your current uBoot
## This may happen if you have installed a different uBoot on
## /dev/mtd0 or if you have bad blocks on /dev/mtd0
##
## If you have bad blocks on mtd0, you should not try to install uBoot.
##
## If you have installed a diffirent uBoot on mtd0, and understand the
## risks, you can re-run the installer with the --no-uboot-check parameter
##
## Installation cancelled.

Could this be my problem and if so how do I fix this? The last line about the installation being cancelled is way false, as it continues and doesn't hard terminate the installation process.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Re: Shyd's Installer to a USB harddrive?
October 25, 2011 04:15PM
I don't know for sure what the problem is that you are experiencing... it may well be that there is a bad block... dunno...

But I can tell you for sure that shyd's (ie. jeff's fixed script) does work with a USB hard drive... that's what my PogoWeather is running on, a USB -connected 2.5 inch SATA hard drive... If you want to know what chipset it is, you can see that on the System Status/Info page of my site.

=====================================================
Re: Shyd's Installer to a USB harddrive?
October 30, 2011 01:06PM
You likely have a bad block within the first four blocks of /dev/mtd0. See this for thread for some instructions on how to do manually install uboot to /dev/mtd0, working around the bad block. I'm going to warn you now that it's a bit hairy. You have to first find the bad block by erasing mtd0. After you do that you can't power it off until you load uboot back again.

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,5728,5770
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.