Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ping OK - SSH Connection Refused - What Next???

Posted by techrat 
Ping OK - SSH Connection Refused - What Next???
November 14, 2011 10:24PM
Brand new to this whole thing.. followed the instructions here and received several errors while trying to run the debiansqueeze.sh unfortunately my ssh session disconnected before I could capture the errors.

After the SSH terminated, I was unable to reconnect receiving a connection refused on port 22 error. I tried powering down and back up with the USB drive both connected and disconnected with the same result. I can ping successfully but cannot ssh in. The LED goes constant green whether or not the usb drive is plugged in.

Inspection of the usb flash drive on another machine shows no files on the 1st partition so I suspect that the script did not succeed at putting anything on the flash drive. So I am wondering what is next? Do I need to connect a serial cable to do anything with this? Or are there other things that can be done?

Secondarily, I issued the command export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin on my laptop while the usb flash drive was in my laptop as I was trying to follow all of the instructions from my laptop instead of through ssh on the dockstar. What are the implications of issuing this command on a full ubuntu system on a laptop.

Thanks for any help on both of these issues.

-Jeff
Johannes
Re: Ping OK - SSH Connection Refused - What Next???
November 15, 2011 01:33PM
If the Dockstar's LED turns green without a USB drive, then that probably means the Pogoplug service has started and successfully connected to the service on the internet, at which point it may have disabled the SSH server. In that case you can still get back in through the serial console or by signing up to the Pogoplug service and reenabling SSH. Another option that may work if the boot loader installation succeeded is the rescue system. That may also prove useful if you get back in through the serial console.

The path export is temporary and only lasts until you close the shell in which it was entered. It adds the two sbin directories to the list of search paths.

The Debian installation instructions are for an installation on the target architecture. You can't use an x86 system to cross-install an ARM Linux that way.
Re: Ping OK - SSH Connection Refused - What Next???
November 15, 2011 06:19PM
@Johannes - Thanks for the reply! Registering the device allowed me to gain ssh access again! I am going to make a new post soliciting input before my next attempt at getting Debian up on this device. - Thanks Again!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.