Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I use a 3 TB drive as one partition on DockStar?

Posted by funtoy1001 
Can I use a 3 TB drive as one partition on DockStar?
November 29, 2011 08:49AM
Bought a Seagate 3TB drive over the weekend and wonder if I can use it as one giant partition. At one site, it mentiones I need to have a special kenel to handle partition greater than 2 TB.
That's correct, you will need a kernel which is compiled with support for GUID partition tables ( GPT ) to handle drives bigger then 2TB, because the old MBR partition table does not support drives > 2TB. Nevertheless, II don't know if the default debian squeeze kernel supports GPT or not.
Re: Can I use a 3 TB drive as one partition on DockStar?
December 04, 2011 04:35PM
Correct me if I am wrong.... (Not all at once)

If I were setting up Debian on a large drive, I would still set up a small /boot partition and a swap-partition.

I would think that installing LVM support would allow me to set up a large (almost 3 TB) single partition for data. LVM partitions size is limited by the "PE size" (created before the Logical Volume). It can also be limited by the version of the kernel and the version of the LVM package version.

I do not know what limitations may be caused by the 16-bit memory bus.

In the event that the 16-bit Memory bus of the Dockstar limits the physical partition size, I would think that a single Logical Volume could be spanned across multiple physical partitions accomplishing your end-goal.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.