Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fluxbox file manager

Posted by bodhi 
Fluxbox file manager
December 22, 2011 05:28PM
I've been using fluxbox for Debian Dockstar off and on and very happy with the simple and fast remote desktop (thanks Petergunn). I'm removing Webmin and freed up a whole bunch of RAM and eliminate its logging activities. Adding commands to the fluxbox window menu is quite simple, too.

I'm looking for a simple small footprint file manager app to add to fluxbox, that allows files copy/delete/move,... across samba shares and directories in the Dockstar. This is to avoid going through samba as Windows Explorer will do that (slow as dirt!). Preferably this file manager also allows users to unmount USB drives right on the GUI menu or icon.

I've added commands to the fluxbox GUI menu to do many of the system management type of activities, e.g. system shutdown, startup/shutdown transmission, startup/shutdown samba,.... However, the hard part is adding mounting/un-mounting USB drives.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion,
bodhi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 05:43PM by bodhi.
Re: Fluxbox file manager
December 23, 2011 04:41AM
I am using jwm at my desktop computer which is similar to fluxbox. I added rox packages to have icons and the like at my jwm desktop. Maybe it suits to fluxbox, too, because there is a rox filemanager which is what you are looking for.

There are no silly questions
December 23, 2011 02:32PM
Killerhippy,

Thanks for recommended rox-filer! it is really nice. I've tried a few different file managers for fluxbox (there is such thing as too many choices with Linux :-) before your post but not entirely happy with them. rox-filer is very nice, small footprint and very fast. Exactly what I am looking for.

The most important thing for me with this is: it seamlessly uses the mounting mechanism that I already set up with pmount.

bodhi
December 23, 2011 05:30PM
bodhi, my pleasure! :-)

There are no silly questions
December 23, 2011 10:29PM
@killerhippy,

So far every thing else works great, but not drag-and-drop, ironically! dragging a file from one window to another to copy or move does not work for me (nothing happened, the icon pops right back). I'm using Debian Squeeze, and "apt-get install rox-filer" told me I already got the latest version.

#rox-filer -v

ROX-Filer 2.10
Compiled with GTK version 2.18.6
Running with GTK version 2.20.1

-- features set at compile time --

Large File Support... Yes
Inotify support... Yes
Dnotify support... No
Binary compatibility... No (apsymbols.h not found)
Extended attribute support... Yes

Any idea why?

Thanks,
bodhi
February 13, 2012 04:22PM
I'm back playing with fluxbox and ROX-filer manager on Debian. Still having this drag-n-drop problem!

I've verified that I'm running as root on both windows. Still, dragging a file from one ROX-filer window to another pops it right back! I was able to open a copy dialog in a ROX-filer window and copied a file to that destination successfully (so I don't think it's permission problem).

Anybody has used this combination and was able to drag-dropping files?

TIA
bodhi
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.