Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just too stable

Posted by Nematocyst 
Just too stable
January 02, 2012 02:29PM
Worst thing about my dockstar-- works perfectly.

Get it set up and forget it, come to this forum just to see what's up, and it's populated with lots of drug ads.

Kinda the internet equivalent of cobwebs, I guess. Heh.
Re: Just too stable
January 08, 2012 09:04PM
Agreed. My 4 dockstars have been humming along happily for months. Other than tweaking the asterisk config when Google messes with Google Voice I haven't had to touch them at all :-)

-PG
rat
January 09, 2012 03:05AM
Only time my Dockstars have gone down is when I'm finally getting around to making a Clonezilla image for backup and duping everything onto a different/new thumbdrive to keep things nice and tidy.

It's kind of annoying how I can sneeze and see 100+ uptime days go by on the Dockstar before I even remember it.
January 10, 2012 10:38PM
What are you guys talking about? Are you thinking about M$ Windows? :-)
January 12, 2012 04:48PM
rat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only time my Dockstars have gone down is when I'm
> finally getting around to making a Clonezilla
> image for backup and duping everything onto a
> different/new thumbdrive to keep things nice and
> tidy.
>
> It's kind of annoying how I can sneeze and see
> 100+ uptime days go by on the Dockstar before I
> even remember it.

My GoFlex weekly creates a rootfs backup and saves it to the connected SATA HDD, so that I don't have to reboot at all. Btw, I don't how you guys manage to get that much problems with flash drives. Mine is a 16 GB Cruzer with ext4 and full encryption (via dm-crypt) but during last 7 month I haven't experienced a single problem with it.

However, I absolutetly agree that a fully configured Dockstar/GoFlex with Debian is rather boring. It just works in the background and does everything it should without any complaints. I guess I need to buy Iomega Iconnect to have something to tinker around with ;)
Ecio
January 30, 2012 11:24AM
@vlad can you share your backup script?
rat
January 30, 2012 10:11PM
Vlad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My GoFlex weekly creates a rootfs backup and saves
> it to the connected SATA HDD, so that I don't have
> to reboot at all. Btw, I don't how you guys manage
> to get that much problems with flash drives. Mine
> is a 16 GB Cruzer with ext4 and full encryption
> (via dm-crypt) but during last 7 month I haven't
> experienced a single problem with it.

I'm not having issues with thumbdrives. Far from it, actually. The one thumbdrive I used the longest suffered zero write failures. All of them performed just fine, I just swap 'em out every so often when I find something bigger or better on sale.

First time when I swapped thumbdrives, it was just because I decided to do a Clonezilla image to learn the process and to see if I could do a successful restore where PING failed. I last switched from a Micro Attache thumbdrive to a Sandisk Cruzer Fit because it's just a little nub and has basically zero chance of getting knocked out accidentally.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.