Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug Mobile Debian Install

Posted by cdlenfert 
Re: Pogoplug Mobile Debian Install
September 08, 2018 07:58AM
So I have to mount my current USB rootfs on another box in order to create the tarball right? I can't do it on the box that's actively running the USB rootfs?

Or can I if I create a basic rootfs on the SD card, remove the USB, reboot (running off SD rootfs temporarily), then remount the USB rootfs and create the tarball, reboot again with USB rootfs, remount SD rootfs, and restore the backup to the SD?

Just curious, because I'll probably use another linux box to do this to save a step of creating a temporary basic rootfs on the SD.
September 08, 2018 02:00PM
cdlenfert,

> So I have to mount my current USB rootfs on
> another box in order to create the tarball right?
> I can't do it on the box that's actively running
> the USB rootfs?

Yes. You don't want to run it on the running rootfs.

>
> Or can I if I create a basic rootfs on the SD
> card, remove the USB, reboot (running off SD
> rootfs temporarily), then remount the USB rootfs
> and create the tarball, reboot again with USB
> rootfs, remount SD rootfs, and restore the backup
> to the SD?

Yes. That would work.

>
> Just curious, because I'll probably use another
> linux box to do this to save a step of creating a
> temporary basic rootfs on the SD.

The idea is to back up your current good rootfs to a tarball as your own reference rootfs so it can be used to clone a new one when you need it. And serve as a rescue rootfs whenever your current running one going bad. I have many plugs running in the farm, and the one of them (off line, used for testing) has my latest and greatest installation. This is the one I back up very regularly to a tarball.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
September 08, 2018 10:35PM
Got it done! Nice to have the USB port free for my sound card as I'm using this as an Airplay receiver. Nice and tidy!!

Thank you
September 17, 2018 05:13PM
Will the same chainloading approach (post 1 with updated boot command in this post) I did on the pogoplug mobile work for the pogoplug E-02 model? I'm ready to make the leap on that device over to Debian, but still want the stock OS as a fallback recovery system.

Thanks for any confirmation.
September 17, 2018 05:50PM
cdlenfert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will the same chainloading approach
> (post
> 1
with updated boot command in
> this
> post
) I did on the pogoplug mobile work for
> the pogoplug E-02 model? I'm ready to make the
> leap on that device over to Debian, but still want
> the stock OS as a fallback recovery system.
>
> Thanks for any confirmation.

No, it would not work. The Pogo E02 stock rootfs is JFFS2, not UBIFS.

Let me find the set of envs from Jeff's old u-boot. Or if you found it please post here.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2018 05:51PM by bodhi.
September 17, 2018 05:58PM
Here it is.

ethact=egiga0
bootdelay=3
baudrate=115200
mainlineLinux=yes
console=ttyS0,115200
led_init=green blinking
led_exit=green off
led_error=orange blinking
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
partition=nand0,2
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
rescue_installed=0
rescue_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs ro rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $rescue_custom_params
rescue_bootcmd=if test $rescue_installed -eq 1; then run rescue_set_bootargs; nand read.e 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000; bootm 0x800000; else run pogo_bootcmd; fi
pogo_bootcmd=if fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; then go 0x800200; fi
force_rescue=0
force_rescue_bootcmd=if test $force_rescue -eq 1 || ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme 1 || fatload usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme.txt 1; then run rescue_bootcmd; fi
ubifs_mtd=3
ubifs_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=$ubifs_mtd root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $ubifs_custom_params
ubifs_bootcmd=run ubifs_set_bootargs; if ubi part data && ubifsmount rootfs && ubifsload 0x800000 /boot/uImage && ubifsload 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; fi
usb_scan=usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if test $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; setenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done
usb_scan_list=1 2 3 4
usb_scan_1=usb=0:1 dev=sda1
usb_scan_2=usb=1:1 dev=sdb1
usb_scan_3=usb=2:1 dev=sdc1
usb_scan_4=usb=3:1 dev=sdd1
usb_init=run usb_scan
usb_device=0:1
usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_rootfstype=ext2
usb_rootdelay=10
usb_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params
usb_bootcmd=run usb_init; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot
usb_boot=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
bootcmd=usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run rescue_bootcmd; run pogo_bootcmd; reset
ethaddr=00:25:xx:xx:xx:xx
arcNumber=2097

Try in serial console.

setenv pogo_bootcmd 'if fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; then go 0x800200; fi'
run pogo_bootcmd

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
September 19, 2018 08:50PM
Thanks for finding that. I'm not sure what to do with it however. My EO2 is running stock OS, so shouldn't these stock envs already be set? I don't have serial console hooked up (though I could if I had to, but would rather not disasemble if I don't need to). I'm not sure what next steps are given my current situation. Do I make some kind of image? Do a standard Debian install with new uboot then add the pogo_bootcmd env you gave above? I see that gets called in the bootcmd and rescue_bootcmd in the envs above. Should I use these envs vs what gets installed during the U-boot install/update thread?
September 20, 2018 12:03AM
cdlenfert,

> Thanks for finding that. I'm not sure what to do
> with it however. My EO2 is running stock OS, so
> shouldn't these stock envs already be set?

No, these envs are from Jeff's old u-boot setup.

> I don't
> have serial console hooked up (though I could if I
> had to, but would rather not disasemble if I don't
> need to).
> I'm not sure what next steps are given
> my current situation.

When you try to set up the Pogo E02 by experimentally changing any envs, it is very risky. I would strongly discourage doing any of this without serial console. The Pogo E02 can not be rescued by kwboot.

So, the bottom line is for Pogo E02, don't set up to boot to stock without a well-tested procedure (from someone) that you can run in Linux shell.

Once you've connected serial console, you can experiment without worry about bricking.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.