Posted by bodhi 
Re: Debian on HP Thin Client T5335z
October 15, 2018 04:17PM
Hi Koen,

> I didn't realise this was possible but after
> reading https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO it
> is a bit clearer. I guess it is similar to running
> 32 bit packages on a 64 bit system.

In a way. But it is actually not that significant. amrhf and armel are both 32 bit. So their ABIs look the same to the kernel.

>
> At the moment I've got a working USB minimal
> 'hybrid' armel / armhf Debian jessie system based
> on 4.4.0 kirkwood rootfs with 4.18.5 mvebu kernel.
> Removing the old kernel and cleaning the apt cache
> results in a system of 392M which should fit on
> the internal memory as a recovery system.
>

Great!

>
> root@debian:/# cat /etc/debian_version 
> 8.11
> root@debian:/# uname -a
> Linux debian 4.18.5-mvebu-tld-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu
> Aug 30 22:19:21 PDT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
> root@debian:/# dpkg --print-architecture
> armel
> root@debian:/# dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
> armhf
>
>
> Do you recommend upgrading this system to stretch
> before copying to the internal memory?
>

I would do upgrade to make it secured, but not needed to go to Debian 9.x for a rescue system. And then do cleanup to remove the cache to get it back to ~400MB.
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get clean

> Also my architectures are the other way around.
> Does this matter?
>

This does not matter. The kernel does not use hard float. So when you run armel or armhf kernel it is practically the same kernel as far as Debian is concern.

When both architectures are in the rootfs, and you upgrade a package, it will be relevant which one is the native architecture, because you will pull from that distribution first.

For a main system rootfs (not rescue system), I would set native architecture to armhf and then when hard float is needed for a particular package, I would make sure that package is armhf (by doing apt-get install again). That way all existing armel packages can still be used normally until it got replaced.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2018 06:25PM by bodhi.
October 15, 2018 05:09PM
Thanks for your help bodhi. I've copied the 'hybrid' USB system to the internal memory. Next I've set the following additional uboot environment variables.

set_recovargs=setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10 ${mtdparts} splash quiet earlyprintk=serial
bootcmd_recov=ide reset; ext2load ide 0:1 0x2000000 /boot/uImage; ext2load ide 0:1 0x3000000 /boot/uInitrd
recovery=run set_recovargs; run bootcmd_recov; bootm 0x2000000 0x3000000
bootcmd=run bootcmd_exec; run recovery

Now the device boots normal Debian stretch on the USB stick when it is present and 'hybrid' Debian jessie from the internal memory when there is no USB stick plugged in.

Koen
October 15, 2018 06:42PM
Koen,

> Now the device boots normal Debian stretch on the
> USB stick when it is present and 'hybrid' Debian
> jessie from the internal memory when there is no
> USB stick plugged in.

I would use the rootfs label here to make it more resilient. I think it is ROOT. But you can relabel it, and also chnage the rescue system hostname to something unique.

set_recovargs=setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10 ${mtdparts} splash quiet earlyprintk=serial

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
October 16, 2018 01:25PM
Hi bodhi,

thanks for the advice. The thinpro setup uses root=/dev/sda1 so that 's why I set it up like that. However I've now changed the label and used the same configuration as booting from USB stick to keep things consistent. I did already change the hostname of the rescue system such that it is easy to see in my router settings which system is running. This should now be quite a reliable system with easy recovery option so I'm happy to hide the serial connection wires in the case and start using it as a replacement of my pogo E02.

Koen
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.