CUPS on Dockstar (with Brother printer)
January 19, 2012 05:32PM
I hope someone can help me with this. I have CUPS 1.4.4 running on one of my Dockstar, it was working fine with network attached HP LaserJet printer (attached to the router with parallel port).
Main reason for installing CUPS was to have Dockstar configured to share CUPS printer with Google CloudPrint. This enables printing form Android devices through Google CloudPrint.

It all worked fine with HP printer and python program.
I have now retired that printer and got new one form Brother (Brother has good support of Linux drivers for their printers).
Problem is that Brother's cupswrapper is compiled for x86 platform only.
They have source files for cupswrapper but not configure file or instructions about how to compile/install from source for different platform.

If some more experienced user here can shed some light on this for me I will be thankful.

Thanks
Roman
Re: CUPS on Dockstar (with Brother printer)
February 06, 2012 04:40PM
You can establish a chroot debian environment with development utils installed to compile but that's as far you can get. Cupswrapper is just a part of the package required to make the printer visible. You will see within the C program supplied, it makes calls to external program thats part of the lpd package they supply - and this lpd package does not have source code published.

The big picture is to get the x86 package (cups wrapper and lpd) to run via Qemu. Qemu seem to have problems with dynamically linked programs x86 binaries that's run on arm (host) environment. So the dynamic load modules need to be made static. There's a free ware that does this, but the name escapes me now.
WarheadsSE
February 16, 2012 01:56PM
What model?

Check Gutenprint.

I have a HL-2270DW running over socket with the Gutenprint HL-2060D driver, served out to CloudPrint
February 17, 2012 09:52PM
Mine is MFC-7460DN
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.