Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Successful DS install, now locking it down...

Posted by spr0k3t 
Successful DS install, now locking it down...
January 21, 2012 02:10PM
So I've got the DockStar running Debian Squeeze and I'm strengthening the security on it. I changed the password to something different, now every time I log into the unit, I have to change the password. I've never seen this behavior before. Any suggestions?
Re: Successful DS install, now locking it down...
January 21, 2012 10:18PM
So I decided not to fuss with it. I added a new account, then disabled root after making sure the new account was available in the sudoers file. Oh yeah, had to install sudo. Funny thing, when I unlocked the root account, I was able to log in without changing passwords. Possibly a corrupt timing in the passwd hash?
Re: Successful DS install, now locking it down...
January 29, 2012 09:28AM
I dug deeper into this and wanted to share with others what I've found. Without a RTC, changing the root password will forever require you to change your password on login without updating the clock prior to the change. So if you update the clock to something/anything current, you can then change your password.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.