Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

apt-get update and upgrade fails the Pogoplug V4

Posted by Tushar 
apt-get update and upgrade fails the Pogoplug V4
October 08, 2018 07:20AM
Hi everyone,

On my Pogoplug V4, freshly installed

kernel:linux4.18.4-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2 (27 Aug 2018)
rootfs: Debian-4.12.1-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 (24 Jul 2017)

32GB new flash drive.

I already tested 3-4 times and after every time I perform

#apt-get update
#apt-get upgrade

while the operation goes on successfully without any error, the box doesn't come back online after a reboot. On the front, it showing stable green light but on the gigabit ethernet port, only orange (stable) light is on, no green light.

what could be the reason?

Thanks.
Re: apt-get update and upgrade fails the Pogoplug V4
October 08, 2018 04:17PM
Tushar,

Usually if the Debian version is several versions behind the latest, the initramfs will be regenerated.

> #apt-get upgrade

After apt-get upgrade is done,

ls -lart /boot
See if the initrd.img-4.18.4-kirkwood-tld-1 was regenerated (you can also see it in the upgrade log).

If it was new, you need to repack the uInitrd.

cp -a uInitrd uInitrd.bak
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs-4.18.4-kirkwood-tld-1 -d initrd.img-4.18.4-kirkwood-tld-1 uInitrd
sync

And then reboot.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
October 09, 2018 02:11PM
Thanks Bodhi,

Despite being a new drive, the issue was within the flash drive itself. I was able to successfully upgrade after using another drive.

This event got me into thinking what if I use a 2.5 inch SATA HDD instead of a thumb drive, would I get better performance in terms of reliability? what do you suggest?

Thanks.
October 09, 2018 04:47PM
Tushar,

> This event got me into thinking what if I use a
> 2.5 inch SATA HDD instead of a thumb drive, would
> I get better performance in terms of reliability?
> what do you suggest?

Yes if you use 2.5" HDD the performance and reliability is excellent. In order to use USB thumb for rootfs, we need follow certain precautions as I've suggested here:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,13702,13704#msg-13704

The Seagate Goflex portable HDD drives which the Pogo V4, GoFlex Net were specifically designed to use with, can still be found new. I forgot what's this enclosure form factor is named, I think it is UMT.

Or you can buy a used enclosure on eBay for a few $USD, and install your own 2.5" HDD inside. People like to buy these HDDs on sale , just for the internal drive and then resell the case.

I had a couple drives put together like that. I've installed a 7200RPM 2.5" HDD in a used enclosure and use it on the GoFlex Net as the system drive. This has been running 24/7 for at least 5 years!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 11, 2018 04:27AM
Bodhi,

If I understood you correctly, you are suggesting to use an external 2.5" HDD with USB cable connected to the Pogoplug? Because I'm using a Pogoplug Series 4 - which has built-in SATA port, I had an impression if I plug the drive directly to the SATA port that would be better!

2. I was also thinking of moving rootfs to the HDD altogether and ditch the idea of using USB thumb drive. - is that possible?

Thanks.

-Tushar.
October 11, 2018 04:39AM
Tushar,

> If I understood you correctly, you are suggesting
> to use an external 2.5" HDD with USB cable
> connected to the Pogoplug?

No, not like that.

> Because I'm using a
> Pogoplug Series 4 - which has built-in SATA port,
> I had an impression if I plug the drive directly
> to the SATA port that would be better!

The Goflex 2.5" drive with enclosure can be used both as USB drive or SATA drive. You'll uplug the USB 2.0/3.0 interface tail, and it exposes SATA interface!

It looks like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-320GB-GB-FreeAgent-GoFlex-Portable-External-Hard-Drive-Black-Harddrive/253916747438

>
> 2. I was also thinking of moving rootfs to the HDD
> altogether and ditch the idea of using USB thumb
> drive. - is that possible?
>

Yes. Of course. You can create new rootfs on HDD, or clone the USB to it. See Wiki thread for cloning rootfs:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,23630

Backup and Cloning rootfs

CrashPlan 4.3.0
Backup/Restore rootfs using tar command
Adjust udev rules after cloning rootfs
Stock Pogoplug rootfs
How to clone a rootfs from one Kirkwood box to another: Step 1 and Step 2
How to clone SATA rootfs to USB rootfs

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.