Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

auto-mounted hd available space

Posted by MartinH 
auto-mounted hd available space
March 25, 2012 02:56PM
Hi Folks,

I have a dockstar with several auto-mounted USB HD (some NTFS some ext4)in the /etc/fstab like
LABEL=ELEMENTS4 /media/video6 auto defaults 0 0

My linux is : Linux debian 2.6.32-5-kirkwood #1 Tue Jun 14 23:05:32 UTC 2011 armv5tel GNU/Linux

Under ubuntu 11.10 on a different PC i auto -mount the media folder via /etc/fstab
//192.168.0.255/media /mnt/debian smbfs username=username,password=password 0$

When I open nautilus in 11.10 to look into the drives in the media folder,
the available space shown for each drive (regardles of the real available space I can
see using "df -H" on the dockstar) is 6.9GB which is the space avaliable on the stick from which
debian runs on te dockstar.
I'd rather see the amount of available space of each drive.

Do I do something wrong?
Could I use a different way to mount the drives, so their real space is remotely available?
Any ideas anyhow?

Thanks for your support

Martin
Re: auto-mounted hd available space
March 25, 2012 03:53PM
Actually it's not how you mounted the HDDs, it's because how the drives shared by samba under /media. Samba reports the size of the disk where /media is located, which is a "wrong" size to report. If you share the drives directly (in smb.conf) then they will be shown with the correct size from a remote PC. Look in /etc/init.d/samba/smb.conf to see if /media is the only folder that is shared?
Re: auto-mounted hd available space
March 26, 2012 01:43PM
Bodhi,

just so true.
I did not see the wood for all the trees.
Hooked every drive into smb.conf with it's own entry and mounted like 192.168.0.255/video1 etc.
and all worked fine

Thanks for poking my nose in the right direction

Martin
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.