Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Debian on Synology RS816 (Armada 385)

Posted by zifxify 
Re: Debian on Synology RS816 (Armada 385)
July 08, 2019 02:35AM
@bodhi

I'm embarrassed!!

Having just slated a work colleague for a stupid mistake on our firewall I then notice I have doubled up on mtdparts=!!!

setenv mtdparts 'mtdparts=mtdparts=spi0.0:4m(boot),-(spi-rootfs)'

I will now try to squeeze down the crack in the floorboards
July 08, 2019 04:46AM
Richard,

> Having just slated a work colleague for a stupid
> mistake on our firewall I then notice I have
> doubled up on mtdparts=!!!
>
>
> setenv mtdparts
> 'mtdparts=mtdparts=spi0.0:4m(boot),-(spi-rootfs)'
>
>

Very common typo :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
July 17, 2019 10:39PM
@bodhi

I have been bribed to forego my long term leave and am back in my office.

I am under some pressure to get the RS816 back into service for a project and the whereabouts of the second unit is still unknown, I know you were also holidaying but I wasn't sure of your return date ?

If it works for you and we can get to the tutorials before our agreed mid August date that would help me a lot.

Richard
July 17, 2019 11:52PM
Richard,

I will be back before the 12th. If you are pressed for time with the 2nd unit for works, then please go ahead install it. Works is always more much important than what we do here :)

We'll do the tutorial whenever it is convenient, sometime in next month. Even though we won't have a stock unit to test, it should be doable.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
July 18, 2019 07:57PM
@bodhi

Thanks for the update on your holiday movements and trust you are having a great break :)

I think you may have missed from my post that at this time I only have one unit, the other went missing from my desk on the first week of my holiday and no one knows where it went.

It now looks like I will need to press the unit back into service prior to your return and once deployed it may be a few months before I could release it back for the tutorials. On a more positive note this unit is stock and will be left like that for the project it is going to be used for and hence will be stock for the tutorials.

One possibility I could offer to undertake would be to do the tutorial steps alone documenting each command and output then PM those to you or just place in a clean thread for you to check and compile into the final tutorials on your return. I think I have gleaned enough knowledge to do this and where my memory is foggy I can refer to the existing thread. It would be better if we did this together, in my view, but in the circumstances maybe its an acceptable way forward ?
July 18, 2019 11:56PM
Richard,

> One possibility I could offer to undertake would
> be to do the tutorial steps alone documenting each
> command and output then PM those to you or just
> place in a clean thread for you to check and
> compile into the final tutorials on your return. I
> think I have gleaned enough knowledge to do this
> and where my memory is foggy I can refer to the
> existing thread. It would be better if we did this
> together, in my view, but in the circumstances
> maybe its an acceptable way forward ?

Sure, please go ahead and send me PM.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
July 19, 2019 06:25AM
@bodhi

I will try to get this done over the weekend but I have just downloaded linux-5.1.7-mvebu-tld-1 and note from the config file that raid1 is compiled as a module.

CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m

This will not work for the raid installation with zImage in flash we need raid1 built in to bring the rootfs up.

We could use my kernel then sed the appropriate changes for the tutorial or skip the raid installation and just do the zImage to flash and raw hdd on a single disk using your linux-5.1.7-mvebu-tld-1 ?
July 19, 2019 10:22AM
Richard,

I have built and tested 5.1.11-mvebu-tld-1, which will provide built-in kernel modules for RAID and LVM. But I have not released it.

- Enable RAID and LVM as kernel builtin modules (we can boot with RAID or LVM without needing to load uInitrd first. In previous kernel version RAID and LVM drivers were loadable modules).

You can assume that it will be in the Debian Buster rootfs Debian-5.1.11-mvebu-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.