Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

dying USB rootfs Iomega EZ

Posted by Koen 
dying USB rootfs Iomega EZ
January 26, 2019 01:40PM
Hi,

I've got a Iomega EZ running Debian at my parents house for doing local backups of their phones and tablets. I just logged in to check everything is still running OK and it seems the USB drive with the rootfs is dying. I can't use sudo to run apt-get update and there seem to be file system issues. dmesg shows the following output:

[2163755.377304] EXT2-fs (sdb1): error: ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #64001: : unaligned directory entry - offset=0, inode=64001, rec_len=1038, name_len=1
[2163755.391933] EXT2-fs (sdb1): error: remounting filesystem read-only
[2163755.398707] EXT2-fs (sdb1): error: ext2_readdir: bad page in #64001
[2163755.405410] EXT2-fs (sdb1): error: remounting filesystem read-only
[2163784.892649] EXT2-fs (sdb1): error: ext2_readdir: bad page in #64001
[2163784.899571] EXT2-fs (sdb1): error: remounting filesystem read-only

Is there anything that can be done through vpn / ssh to fix the file system errors or should I just replace the USB drive next time I visit them?

Koen
Re: dying USB rootfs Iomega EZ
January 26, 2019 01:47PM
I can't use sudo but su still works. Unfortunately fsck gives a segmentation fault. Are there any other options to check and fix the filesystem?

root@debian:/# fsck.ext2 /dev/sdb1
Segmentation fault
Re: dying USB rootfs Iomega EZ
January 27, 2019 12:50AM
Koen,


-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't use sudo but su still works. Unfortunately
> fsck gives a segmentation fault. Are there any
> other options to check and fix the filesystem?
>
>
> root@debian:/# fsck.ext2 /dev/sdb1
> Segmentation fault
>


I dont think this can be fixed remotely. You can send them a USB rootfs if you have backup. And use EXT3 for rootfs, EXT2 is prone to be corrupted like that.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: dying USB rootfs Iomega EZ
January 27, 2019 01:32AM
OK thanks. I can't connect using openvpn anymore so I guess it must have died completely in the mean time. I tried to setup a ext3 rootfs originally but couldn't get it to work. I'm not sure if ext3 booting is supported in stock uboot. I'll order a proper Sandisk USB stick instead of this unbranded one and redo the setup when I visit them next week.

Koen
Re: dying USB rootfs Iomega EZ
January 27, 2019 06:24AM
Koen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK thanks. I can't connect using openvpn anymore
> so I guess it must have died completely in the
> mean time. I tried to setup a ext3 rootfs
> originally but couldn't get it to work. I'm not
> sure if ext3 booting is supported in stock uboot.
> I'll order a proper Sandisk USB stick instead of
> this unbranded one and redo the setup when I visit
> them next week.
>
> Koen

Yes, Ext3 and Ext2 use the same driver in stock Marvell uboot. This Iomega EZ uboot is practically same as other Kirwood boxes uboot.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: dying USB rootfs Iomega EZ
January 27, 2019 06:49AM
Koen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't use sudo but su still works. Unfortunately fsck gives a segmentation fault. Are there any other options to check and fix the filesystem?
>
>
> root@debian:/# fsck.ext2 /dev/sdb1
> Segmentation fault
>
>
I haven't encountered a segfault like that. However, you can try it with a force check and/or fix using the -fy switches, i.e. fsck.ext2 -fy /dev/sdb1. Remember, this will forcefully write to your storage and may cause some further damages. So, if you have some data you can still access, try to back up those data first before you perform this operation.
Re: dying USB rootfs Iomega EZ
January 27, 2019 07:00AM
When you see the segfault executing commands, please stop, don’t try to fix it without a reboot.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: dying USB rootfs Iomega EZ
January 27, 2019 03:14PM
> Yes, Ext3 and Ext2 use the same driver in stock
> Marvell uboot. This Iomega EZ uboot is practically
> same as other Kirwood boxes uboot.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll prepare an etx3 rootfs on the new Sandisk USB stick when it arrives.
Re: dying USB rootfs Iomega EZ
January 28, 2019 05:29AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you see the segfault executing commands, please stop, don’t try to fix it without a reboot.

Bodhi,

Yes, when a running rootfs gives the segfault messages, the best options are either to reboot and/or shutdown the system. For a shutdown, the the rootfs on an external storage can be simply checked for its integrity using another Linux computer. After all, it just makes no sense trying to fix a running rootfs.
Author:

Your Email:


Subject:


Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Message: