Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do you also think that we need a wiki?

Posted by Vlad 
Do you also think that we need a wiki?
May 13, 2012 05:02PM
Taking into account how much valuable information on Dockstar/GoFlex/Pogo/iConnect etc. this forum contains, I believe it's a pity that all those writeups and howtos are not organized properly.

So I was just thinking, if we could organize some kind of wiki open to the forum members where all the infos and guides can be posted and updated. Senior forum members like Jeff, davygravy, pazos etc. should get admin rights to ensure that no harmful instructions (especially concerning the bootloader) are provided. A dedicated web server would be great, but if nobody can provide one, we could also use wikia or even google code. What do you think?
Re: Do you also think that we need a wiki?
May 13, 2012 05:51PM
elinux.org has a great wiki with related articles, and its a good place to contribute.. the domain wiki.doozan.com would be great and I'm sure that it can improve the info of this forum.

I vote YES, of course ;)
May 13, 2012 06:30PM
Since we have quite a bunch of really bright people here I think that could be a great idea. Discussions can still be kept in the forum but the good parts can be put on the wiki for easy access.
May 14, 2012 01:18AM
Yay!
May 14, 2012 08:36AM
+1 to this!!!
May 14, 2012 09:10AM
I'll create a wiki on doozan.com if I can find a volunteer (or two?) to pre-populate the wiki.

In my experience, wikis work best when someone takes the time to create a few high-quality 'core' articles just to set a good example for everyone else. If you'd like to be that person, send me an email and I'll get something set up.
Richard
May 16, 2012 04:26AM
For the iConnect, I already set up an own wiki, http://www.kroonen.eu/wiki

So maybe a good start to make such wiki over here?
Robert Mugabe
May 16, 2012 06:53AM
A centralised repository of data relating to the Dockstar is a necessity: to a newcomer this forum must be daunting and a steep learning code if one is to understand the intricacies of the Dockstar.
May 20, 2012 10:53AM
I definitely would contribute! I can't be a moderator, but I'm sure I have 3 or 4 articles that I could contribute.

=====================================================
May 20, 2012 11:46AM
davygravy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I definitely would contribute!

Me too! I'd like to copy some articles with crosslinking to my blog.

--
shyd

Goflex Net 3.9.5 | Dockstar 3.9.5 | http://dev.shyd.de
June 03, 2012 07:12PM
Robert Mugabe Wrote:
> A centralised repository of data relating to the
> Dockstar is a necessity: to a newcomer this forum
> must be daunting and a steep learning code if one
> is to understand the intricacies of the Dockstar.

I totally agree. I'd volunteer to contribute installation procedures for a few new boxes as companions to Jeff's Dockstar installation. We do need a few core articles as examples.
June 04, 2012 06:29AM
Bravo! good idea. We need beta testers to get clean and proven install procedures. We need to centralize essential information.
When I first came to this forum, I found a lor of sharp and organized setup info from other forum that led me to doozan. But I found here what I expected: the most accurate and detailed feedback from passionated members. That is not synonym of fully functionnal solutions. But it help a lot to mak the thing going on and on.
I personaly maintain my own setup instructions , for apps I install on my dockstar, in some sort of personal wiki. It is absolutely necessary when you have to reinstall after a few month. That is the only thing that remains when you threw all away and have to make a clean install. Just have to read all instructions step by step.
With a wiki, you get quality post, synthesized information. Leave all other questions into the forum.
Hope you can find passionate and organized contributors, no need to be an expert.
June 17, 2012 07:01AM
Robert Mugabe Wrote:
> A centralised repository of data relating to the
> Dockstar is a necessity: to a newcomer this forum
> must be daunting and a steep learning code if one
> is to understand the intricacies of the Dockstar.

A wiki is a great idea. I just spent the weekend resurrecting my dockstar (successfully) but I went round in circles in the forum trying to understand how individual posts applied to my situation. I'm not exactly a beginner — installed debian to a usb drive on my dockstar in 2010 and ran it for more than 18 months — but recovering my dockstar after a power failure has been a trial.

/Stuart
June 17, 2012 11:46AM
Wiki idea is nice. It would help many people if they did not need to spend a lot of time searching the site here for information.

An easy way to get it started would be to simply link the existing information in Jeff's articles and in the forum on a single page.

The information on this site has really proved valuable to me and many others. The Uboot information here is the best on the Net except for Denx. Uboot tweaking is becoming more popular every day with new ARM devices. All the information here is applicable not only to plug and similar devices, but also to getting Debian and other distros working on tablets and phones.

A wiki would help those types of people much more than the existing format.
June 17, 2012 06:34PM
I'm more than happy to setup a wiki, but I need a volunteer to populate the basic article format and watch over the submissions. If you're interested, send me an email and I'll get this rolling.
June 20, 2012 12:50PM
I'd be willing to assist every now and then. I like your site as it's been probably the most useful to me recently. :)
But I don't want to be maintainer. What you need to do is like what Wikipedia and most others do originally and still do. Just put up a wiki and let anybody that is registered add content. Then have a maintainer to make any fixes and ban the people who abuse their privileges.

A start would just be to have basic template the same as what you already have on your site:
  • Hardware
  • Uboot
  • Debian
  • . . . whatever else you think that is relevant

That is all you need and doing that would not take much more time than making this post (hell, you could use this post as the template) once the wiki server is set up. But you need the wiki framework to be available for forum members to access and make and save changes.
ano
May 18, 2013 04:13PM
Any news on this? It would be really great to have a wiki to make all this knowledge accessible in a clear way.

I'd also be willing to help in adding infos to articles or setting up the wiki.
May 25, 2013 03:29PM
I think this would be a fantastic idea, this is my first post here but its a lot of information to sort through! I am interested in moving from Arch Linux into Debian and look forward to sifting through all!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.