Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cannot do apt or ping google.com unless disable ipv6

Posted by twinclouds 
Cannot do apt or ping google.com unless disable ipv6
April 02, 2019 04:45AM
I don't know when did this start but I just notice I cannot do apt update any more. It always hung there. Then I tried to ping Google.com to test. It also hung there. I noticed that it uses ipv6 address and get no response. (shown below) After I disabled ipv6, it works fine.
I am using debian on Pogoplug mobile/Debian 9.8. It has always been very reliable. I am not sure what happened. Does anybody else has the same problem?
Example of Putty SSH output:
root@PogoDebian-1:~# ping google.com
PING google.com(lax28s10-in-x0e.1e100.net (2607:f8b0:4007:80d::200e)) 56 data bytes
Re: Cannot do apt or ping google.com unless disable ipv6
April 02, 2019 06:54AM
twinclouds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know when did this start but I just notice I cannot do apt update any more.
>
I had run into this same problem before on both of my Seagate GoFLEX Home (running ARMbian) and a Linux desktop computer (running ubuntu). It was just a flux and problem had something to do with a DNS server.
April 02, 2019 02:30PM
Thanks. How did you solve this problem?
April 02, 2019 04:05PM
But if I use a PC with W10 on the same local net, thus the same DNS server, it can ping google.com just fine. Ubuntu on VMWare is also fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 04:13PM by twinclouds.
April 02, 2019 05:05PM
twinclouds Wrote:
> Thanks. How did you solve this problem?
>
I did not fix it. It just went away. Sometimes, the problem resurfaced and went away after a few days.
April 02, 2019 05:06PM
twinclouds Wrote:
> But if I use a PC with W10 on the same local net, thus the same DNS server, it can ping google.com just fine. Ubuntu on VMWare is also fine.
>
I just remember when thing like this happened on my Linux desktop computer running LUbuntu, it did not happen to other Linux desktop computer running OpenSuSE Leap.
April 02, 2019 05:10PM
BTW, right now, my LUbuntu Linux desktop computer is behaving erratically after software upgraded two days ago. Its keyboard get frozen whenever I tried to use any GUI program, except the LX terminal. This problem happened about a month ago and went away and now has come back again. Looks like something is wrong with the software upgrade.
April 03, 2019 06:49PM
I did more testing on this subject. Ping google.com does not work without disabling ipv6 on all of them ARM Debian based boxes, including Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi and Pogo Mobile running Ubuntu and Debian. It works on VMware based X86 Debian. It also works on Raspberry Pi with CentOS. So the problem looks like the combination of ARM and Debian.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.