Kirkwood 88f6282 (armada 300) datasheet
June 28, 2019 06:43AM
Hi guys,

I've been searching this for a while now without luck. It is the CPU used by Lenovo IX2-NG and lenovo IX2-DL .

I'm trying to understand the temperature point this CPU will shutdown/reboot. I've found out that the Tj limit is 105 celsius degrees.

Also I'm not really understanding the overheat protection of this device: I'm running kernel 4.20 with bodhi's stretch debian rootfs and there is no trip_point_* file under /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0 and no trip points defined in the dts (I don't know if there should be some or not ?? )

Could someone enlighten me on this matter ?

Thanks.
Re: Kirkwood 88f6282 (armada 300) datasheet
June 29, 2019 12:28AM
feldwebel,

> Also I'm not really understanding the overheat
> protection of this device: I'm running kernel 4.20
> with bodhi's stretch debian rootfs and there is no
> trip_point_* file under
> /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0 and no trip
> points defined in the dts (I don't know if there
> should be some or not ?? )

Usually, stock OS has a monitor daemon or script to detect the temperature and shutdown the box. In my basic Debian stretch roots, there is no such script or daemon, you would have to set it up on your own.

Regarding the trip points. That is not defined in the DTS, unless you want to make it so. When you see the Ref Manual specifies max temperature, it is just a guide for the manufacturer to implement a safeguard mechanism to trigger the shutdown, using hardware/software a watchdog, or some daemon, or cron job to read temperature from the sensor.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: Kirkwood 88f6282 (armada 300) datasheet
July 03, 2019 08:31AM
Thanks for the details bodhi.

I am a little concerned of frying the CPU and ultimately I want to find out the best protection method for this box.

I suppose (based on the info you gave me) the stock OS method using a daemon or script should be the way to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2019 08:33AM by feldwebel.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.