Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I install Tonido on a PogoPlug E02 running Debian?

Posted by dchomak 
Can I install Tonido on a PogoPlug E02 running Debian?
August 22, 2019 04:22PM
I have a PogoPlug E02.
I also have an original TonidoPlug that has a Kirkwood version of the Tonido software installed.
For those that don't know, Tonido is similar to the PogoPlug software in that files can be served over the internet using apps on smartphones.
Both the TonidoPlug and the PogoPlug use the same Marvell Kirkwood 1.2GHz cpu.
I can pull the rootfs and the Tonido software off the TonidoPlug. Can those 2 be used to boot the PogoPlug and if not, can the Tonido software be transfered to a PogoPlug running Debian? I believe the TP originally used Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04.

As far as I can tell, Tonido does not offer an install package on their site for the Marvell Kirkwood cpu

Also another possibility below?

Here are instructions from Tonido Support that allows booting TonidoPlug from a USB drive.
included are instructions for copying the tonido software from the TP hardware to the USB drive.

https://www.tonido.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209&start=10

This, I have done and it works. My TonidoPlug hardware boots off the USB drive.
It would be sweet if that USB stick would boot a pogoplug, it doesn't.

could it just be a matter of the mount point of the drive?
Re: Can I install Tonido on a PogoPlug E02 running Debian?
August 22, 2019 06:35PM
dchomak,

> I can pull the rootfs and the Tonido software off
> the TonidoPlug. Can those 2 be used to boot the
> PogoPlug and if not, can the Tonido software be
> transfered to a PogoPlug running Debian?

Might not be possible without jumping through some hoops. The Tonido binaries is most likely Debian squeeze or earlier. Which Debian version Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 is built upon?. I think you will need to chroot into that in oder to run binaries. Most likely they cannot be run on Debian wheezy, stretch or buster (which are what I provided here).

> It would be sweet if that USB stick would boot a
> pogoplug, it doesn't.
>
> could it just be a matter of the mount point of
> the drive?

Not the mount point.

The Tonido u-boot is different from the Pogoplug u-boot. Most likely, they use different arcNumber and machid (the identifiers for an ARM machine) in old u-boot.

But a stock Pogoplug might boot this rootfs with some modifications to u-boot envs. Or might not.

If you want to run the old Tonido rootfs on Pogoplug

1. Connect serial console on the Tonido
2. Boot the Tonido
3. Interrupt u-boot and get some information (I'll guide you when you are at the u-boot prompt).

And then I'll give my assessment if it is possible. It is hopeful, but the most important component here is the kernel version on the Tonido plug rootfs. If it is built only for Tonido, not for general Kirkwood, then it won't work.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2019 07:55PM by bodhi.
Re: Can I install Tonido on a PogoPlug E02 running Debian?
August 24, 2019 07:24PM
Thanks for the info, I will do that as soon as I get a 4 pin 1.25mm jst connector for the TP
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.