Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

dhcp

Posted by hi 
hi
dhcp
September 17, 2010 04:41AM
Without usb stick everything still works, the box gets an ip and I can log in via ssh and telnet.
But when I boot from debian sd it boots, the led then turns off, but I can't connect. I can't find it's ip, I t think because the dhcp client isn't working...
What can I do before soldering the serial?
Re: dhcp
September 17, 2010 05:31AM
You've installed Debian on a SD card? Than simply connect into the SD card with a working PC supporting your filesystem and edit the /etc/network/interfaces.conf (I'm not sure about the correct filename, simply look ahead and "autotabbing" through the directories) and set a static IP. Hope it's working for you.
hi
September 17, 2010 06:40AM
Yes, I did that to no avail.
I also looked into /var/log, could it also be that the kernel wasn't even booted?
Can I somehow see that? I'd like to somehow log the boot messages, so that I can debug.
gilde
September 17, 2010 07:25AM
Hi @ all

i have the same problem.
Installed squeeze with the script from jeff on a usb-stick. installation looks good.
But after boot i cant login with ssh. if i scan with nmap from my debian desktop pc, i didnt find a running debian dockstar host.
if i boot without the debian usb stick the host is up and i can login with ssh to pogoplug.
i also tried a second usb-stick, different usb slots from the dockstar and cold and warm reboots, nothing helps.
debian seems to boot (first short green led blinking from dockstar, then no led blinks on the dockstar, only the led from the usb-stick is on)
also modify the /etc/network/interfaces to an static ip didnt help to get an running host.

how can i get more infos about the debian boot?
has anybody an idea what the problem could be?

best regards
gilde
September 17, 2010 03:13PM
Are you using the same Dockstar to install and run debian?
Yeshwenth
September 17, 2010 09:57PM
hey..I am a new guy here in this forum, I also have the same problem. When i ssh to the dockstar after installing the debian on my usb stick. It says request timed out. I am not able to go into it. Can some 1 here help me.?
hi
September 18, 2010 10:02AM
twinclouds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you using the same Dockstar to install and run
> debian?

Yes, I'm using a Dockstar.
Stefan
September 18, 2010 11:15AM
Hi,

first of all many thanks to jeff!
I have the same Problem. I don´t know if the Problem is the DHCP client. When I look in to /var/log/dmesg there is nothing. So I think that debian don´t start to boot.
Maybe the ones with the same problem could check, if they have anything in the dmesg file. To do so, start Pogoplug, mount the USB Stick (mkdir "/tmp/usb" and "mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/usb/") and look into /tmp/usb/var/log/ . There is a file called dmesg ("more dmesg"). I have no entry there. You?

To the ones that may know a little more: any suggestions what I can do to find the error?
hi
September 18, 2010 11:28AM
You're right, there can be several reasons and it is difficult to debug without a serial console.
In my case I could also see in dmesg that eth0 was brought up correctly, I found this in my router log (fritz.box) though:
Sep 18 18:20:13 multid[357]: DHCPD: no lease found, for DHCPDISCOVER

I reset my router and everything is working now.

tl;dr DHCP server fixed.
hi
September 18, 2010 11:29AM
Isn't there a simple way to redirect all tty output to a file?!
Stefan
September 18, 2010 11:44AM
Hi hi, ;-)

you got it. Don´t know why, but after resetting my Netgear router the dockstar gets an IP adress and I can access it. YEAH!
Strange behavior, because the pogo plug os gets an ip adress on every reboot. So i didn´t thought that there is a problem with the dhcp server.
Thank you!
hi
September 18, 2010 05:41PM
Some routers seem to misbehave when the hostname changes, but the mac stays the same or so.
September 19, 2010 09:30AM
hi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some routers seem to misbehave when the hostname
> changes, but the mac stays the same or so.

My router would not assign the same IP because of some strange way the MAC address was reported. So I just altered /etc/network/interfaces to assign a static ip.
September 20, 2010 10:30PM
My router is not assigning an IP to my dockstar.I have installed the debian into it. And, after i connect my Dockstar and start it, i go into the router configuration, but i am not able to see any ip address that the rouer has pooled to the dokcstar. Can someone help me in this regard.

Regards
Yesh
September 21, 2010 07:58AM
i got the above issue clarified. My usb was bad. I wil try with a new usb today.
Thanks guys.Awesome work here

Regards
Yesh
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.