Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to move from ArchLinux to Debian on a GoFlex Net?

Posted by cyb 
cyb
How to move from ArchLinux to Debian on a GoFlex Net?
July 26, 2012 01:56PM
Hi folks,

I'm currently running ArchLinux on my GoFlex Net. I did install it following this guide. The GoFlex has UBit 0.6 as Bootloader.

I'm also running a Dockstar for over a year now with debian, installed with jeff's script. Therefore I would like to switch from ArchLinux to Debian on the GoFlex Net.

But, what's the best way to do this? I tried to install a backup of my debian system running on the dockstar on an USB stick and run it on the GoFlex, but it doesn't work.

Would be appreciate for any help!

Greets,
cyb
I'd also like to migrate from ArchLinux to Debian Squeeze on my GoFlex Home. But having a hard time finding good clear instructions on how to do it.
I was wondering if you could share why you'r thinking of migrating from Arch Linux to Debian. I'm trying to determine which distro to go with my GFH.

Based on what I've read, Arch Linux is probably more optimized for low power/cpu platform like the GFH/dockstar.
Re: How to move from ArchLinux to Debian on a GoFlex Net?
November 28, 2012 06:48PM
It's basically as simple as extracting the debian rootfs onto a clean partition 1.
December 25, 2012 09:11AM
Xboxer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wondering if you could share why you'r
> thinking of migrating from Arch Linux to Debian.
> I'm trying to determine which distro to go with my
> GFH.
>
> Based on what I've read, Arch Linux is probably
> more optimized for low power/cpu platform like the
> GFH/dockstar.

Trust me and stay put with Arch, Debian, don't have words to put here, see this if you are going to use jeff script to install it http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,9256
December 31, 2012 01:11PM
I finally figured out how the move from Arch to Debian and once Debain was up and running I was able to install and run Open Media Vault (OMV) on my GoFlex Home which I wasn't able to do with Arch. Granted Debian is probably not quite as fast as Arch but . . . . . . . .

There is nothing wrong with Arch for what it is. Trust me, you'll like Debian and OMV running on you device much better than Arch. Debian seems to be so much better supported than Arch. Some of the problems I was having with Arch went away with Debian. And OMV makes it much eaiser to configure your server especially samba and nfs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2012 01:31PM by maihoaomv.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.