Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dead Pogoplug Mobile?

Posted by algarcia 
Dead Pogoplug Mobile?
September 17, 2019 03:52PM
I've been happily using my Pogoplug mobile v4 for about two years with an Arch installation I'venever upgraded. Last week I wanted to switch to Debian, pasted some commands I read in this forum and now all is gone to hell and don't really do what to do now.

I have a 500gb drive with a 4GB partition that used to boot Arch and the other partition for files, downloads and serving the files via Samba. However I wanted to make the pogoplug boot from SD instead so I pasted some command I read about in the forum and now I'm unable to boot from that USB, nor the internal system or the Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi either on USB or SD.

I even went and bought a USB to Serial thing, wired everything as I was supposed and get nothing on the screen command (on /dev/ttyUSB0). With the SD I get some green flashing and red amber, with the old drive i get some green flashing and then red flashing. Is it gone?

I've searched for bricked, red flashing, orange light and every combination I've thought of, read a lot, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
Re: Dead Pogoplug Mobile?
September 17, 2019 05:26PM
algarcia,

It is very hard to brick this Pogo Mobile. So don't give up!

1.

> I've been happily using my Pogoplug mobile v4 for
> about two years with an Arch installation
> I'venever upgraded.

Do you keep any log that can tell which u-boot version and Arch version was installed at that time? if not, I would guess that since it is only 2 years, that u-boot is quite modern and you can likely recover this box enven without serial console.

2.

> Last week I wanted to switch
> to Debian, pasted some commands I read in this
> forum and now all is gone to hell and don't really
> do what to do now.

Do you keep log of what you did (commands and the output from those)?

3.

> I have a 500gb drive with a 4GB partition that
> used to boot Arch and the other partition for
> files, downloads and serving the files via Samba.
> However I wanted to make the pogoplug boot from SD
> instead so I pasted some command I read about in
> the forum and now I'm unable to boot from that
> USB, nor the internal system or the
> Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi either on
> USB or SD.
>
> I even went and bought a USB to Serial thing,
> wired everything as I was supposed and get nothing
> on the screen command (on /dev/ttyUSB0).

It should work, sometime it is just the wires needed to be crossed (TX to RX, RX to TX) with a certain type of serial module converter. Which model is it?

4.

> With the
> SD I get some green flashing and red amber, with
> the old drive i get some green flashing and then
> red flashing. Is it gone?

Not gone. When it flashes like that, u-boot is running OK. There is something wrong in the environment varibles, so it cannot load the kernel files.


5.

Now the best course is to get serial console working, since you already got one connected. Make sure that you only connect 3 wires: TX, RX, and GND.

On the Linux box that you use to host the USB serial converter, unplug it, and plug it in again. And then

uname -a
dmesg | tail -20

Run the serial command. You should use either picocom or minicom (It is OK to run Windows putty or MAC OS screen, if you need to do that then the uname and dmesg commands above don't apply). I would prefer a Linux box hosting this USB Serial converter, make things much easier.

picocom --b 115200 --f n --p n --d 8 /dev/ttyUSB0'

And post the log of this session here (everything in the Linux terminal)

=====

If for whatever reason, you cannot get serial console working, then we go to plan B. This requires some info from Arch installation procedure that I could get from their website.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Dead Pogoplug Mobile?
September 17, 2019 10:18PM
Switching Rx to Tx gave me some output, just garbled text but it’s something. This https://photos.app.goo.gl/A49taLn9y6ezUh338 is the interface I’m using. I’ll be posting the log tomorrow, thanks for the support.
Author:

Subject:


Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Message: