Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Use PC PSU?

Posted by petergunn 
Use PC PSU?
July 30, 2012 07:49PM
I just rebuilt my main PC server with a new full tower case that has plenty of empty 5.25" drive bays. Im thinking my dockstars might fit nicely inside right behind one of the intake fans.

Would it be possible to power 3 dockstars off the 12v output from the PSU if I cut the power cords and wire them to a molex connector?

- PG
Re: Use PC PSU?
July 30, 2012 08:03PM
What happen if you have to power cycle the PC server?
July 30, 2012 08:59PM
funtoy1001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What happen if you have to power cycle the PC
> server?

Thats fine .. I can get it to ssh to the dockstars and shut them down before it powers down itself. Usually runs for months at a time anyway.
July 31, 2012 12:01AM
I don't see any reason why this won't work. Each dockstar should be pulling well under an amp, and i'm sure your PSU has more than a few amps to spare on the 12v rails.
TJ
August 02, 2012 03:38PM

12v output from the PSU
Please double check as I thought the Dockstar and the pogoplug used the same board and the power to a pogoplug board is 5V.
TJ
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.