Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with iomega ix4-200d installation

Posted by TrashCanMan 
Re: Help with iomega ix4-200d installation
June 17, 2020 01:34PM
So, just a bit of extra information. By blacklisting the AHCI module, I have the two primary disks on the integrated SATA controller working without fail (not the ones on the PCI bus Marvell controller). These have the labels '3' and '4' on the NAS chassis. They're happy with the SATA_MV driver, smart is working and I've been giving them a thrashing over the last day or so and can't get them to fail.

These are two of the 2TB Hitachi drives the NAS was shipped which had previously been throwing errors.
June 17, 2020 05:09PM
Mr. Poopybutthole,

Similarly, other drives are fine (in this case 4x Seagate Barracuda ST3500641AS).

Are they all 3.5" HDD?

> These are two of the 2TB Hitachi drives the NAS
> was shipped which had previously been throwing
> errors.

If the Baracudas all working then there must be something about the Marvell PCI driver and this box PCI controller that we can't see yet.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
June 18, 2020 03:18AM
Completely agree.

The Seagates and Hitachis are all 3.5".

4x Seagates [3500641AS Barracuda 7200.9] with no blacklisting - everything works, but when querying the SMART status for the drives, the occasional ATA reset happened but all drives stayed online. These ran for a few days copying data from another box, checksumming the data and comparing.

4x Hitachi [HDS723020BLA642] with no blacklisting - frequent ATA resetting under normal operation (and sometimes when idle) and the channels eventually becoming disabled, resulting in the disks dropping out of the OS.

4x Hitachi [HDS723020BLA642] with blacklisted AHCI module - 2x primary disks present, and working 100% SMART queries are successful. Remaining 2 disks are powered up and spinning, so they do appear to have power.

I've also tried a pair of 2.5" 2TB spinning drives [WDC WD20NPVX] and these too started to show the frequent ATA resets, so possibly size or addressable sector related. I wonder what Lenovo patched in the mv61xx driver. Unfortunately, I don't have any drives between 500G and 2TB to test with.

I'll carry on, and will report back any additional findings. Keep up the good work -- I'm going to be putting 5.7.1 on shortly :)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.