Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uboot to support different name of uImage

Posted by habibie 
Uboot to support different name of uImage
July 03, 2013 09:22AM
Is it possible to add an option to uboot install scripts to let an installer to enter/change the name of Linux kernel? The reason I asked this question is OpenWRT uses a different Linux kernel name, i.e. openwrt-kirkwood-uImage (instead of default uImage).
Re: Uboot to support different name of uImage
July 04, 2013 12:31AM
@habibie,

Have you tried renaming openwrt-kirkwood-uImage to uImage. And what ever the uInitrd is named in Openwrt, rename it to uInitrd?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
July 05, 2013 06:50AM
Try using symbolic links using uImage and uInitrd as the link name.

ln -s openwrt-kirkwood-uImage uImage
ln -s openwrt-kirkwood-uInitrd uInitrd

Of course you need to rename both the default uImage and uInitrd before doing this.
July 06, 2013 09:01PM
Thank you for your suggestion; however, I am not in favor of such an approach, unfortunately. My preference is to have u-boot installation scripts provide an installer/operator an option to enter a different name for uImage.
July 07, 2013 04:57PM
@habibie,

It is possible if Jeff can add this option to his installation script. But this change will effect a lot of sites out there that are using his script to install Kirkwood plugs. Their documentation will need to change to reflect this. I would imagine that the script must be changed in a way that people just say "yes" or press Enter to ignore the option of using different naming for uImage. But even that, this option would benefit too few people (uImage is a conventional name and expected to be the name when you generate uBoot-compliant image).

But you could always modify the script (http://projects.doozan.com/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh) to have this option for your own use.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
July 07, 2013 10:10PM
It would be nice if Jeff will add an option to give operator the ability to change the default Linux kernel name (uImage).

I am not that familiar with the -boot installation scripts. However, if you could kindly guide me through, I sure would be more than happy to give that a try. This way, Jeff doesn't have to modify the u-boot installation scripts.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.