Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

D-Link DNS-323 with Debian

Posted by ehorher 
D-Link DNS-323 with Debian
February 04, 2022 02:19PM
Hello all,
I found in the "old stuff drawer" my old DNS-323, and Im wondering if is possible to install Debian in it.
Please let me know and from where I have to start....
Thanks!
-Horacio
Re: D-Link DNS-323 with Debian
February 04, 2022 03:17PM
February 04, 2022 04:02PM
Horacio,

This DNS-323 has 88F5181 SoC (Orion5x architectture). Best that you follow the link David posted to install. Even though it is also Armv5, this architecture is not configured into my release Kirkwood kernel.

However, the basic Kirkwood rootfs Debian-5.13.6-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 can be used for the Orion5x kernel later if you like to experiment with that (installing the mainline Debian kernel to run in my rootfs).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 05, 2022 03:54PM
Hi Daviddyer,
Seem that Debian removed DNS-323 from their ftp server, so netboot.img is not anymore there.
Just wondering if maybe you have it or know another link where I can download it.
Thanks a lot.
February 05, 2022 04:06PM
Horacio,

A different way to do this is on a Kirkwood box.

- Create a new USB rootfs with Debian-5.13.6-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 like you did.
- On the Kirwood box (e.g. NSA325), chroot into this rootfs.
- Install mainline kernel on it: linux-image-marvell

Here is Debian info for this mainline kernel

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/linux-image-marvell

Package: linux-image-marvell (5.10.84-1)

Linux for Marvell Kirkwood/Orion (meta-package)

This package depends on the latest Linux kernel and modules for use on Marvell Kirkwood and Orion based systems (https://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort#Supported_hardware).

Other Packages Related to linux-image-marvell

depends
recommends
suggests
enhances
dep: linux-image-5.10.0-10-marvell (= 5.10.84-1)
Linux 5.10 for Marvell Kirkwood/Orion

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 05, 2022 04:11PM
Hi Bodhi,
You mean install Debian follow the link from David, and then run your Kirkwood rootfs Debian-5.13.6-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2?
Sorry, I´m a bit confused...
--Horacio
February 05, 2022 04:11PM
Thanks, I just see your last message....
February 05, 2022 04:25PM
Horacio,

Another slightly different way from what I posted above.

You don't have to chroot. You could create a brand new USB rootfs and use that to boot your NSA325.

And then install the mainline kernel on it while the NSA325 is running. Of course you can no longer boot the NSA325 with this rootfs. So shutdown and use the rootfs to boot the DNS-323.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 05, 2022 09:04PM
ok Bodhi,
I want to still using the NSA325 as now, but if I do that, after finish the process with the new USB and boot the DNS-323, I have to do again all the process that I did to have the NSA325 up and running again?, mean install the rootfs for NSA, etc
--Horacio
February 05, 2022 10:11PM
Horacio,

> I want to still using the NSA325 as now, but if I
> do that, after finish the process with the new USB
> and boot the DNS-323, I have to do again all the
> process that I did to have the NSA325 up and
> running again?, mean install the rootfs for NSA,
> etc

No, you just use the NSA325 to install the kernel. However, you raised an interesting question! I don't know what dpkg will do in this case. IOW, whether it will touch u-boot envs. If I do it myself, with serial console, then I would (because I know exactly how to fix the envs back to the way it was).

To be safe, let's do it the chroot way like my original post above. That way you can be sure it will not touch the envs. chroot only modify the new USB rootfs, nothing else.

If you are not sure how to chroot and install kernel on a USB rootfs, let me know.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.