Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug Mobile debrick with paperclip?

Posted by brmiller 
brmiller
Pogoplug Mobile debrick with paperclip?
November 16, 2022 10:40PM
I know this is the uboot forum, but I've searched the internet for a few days and can't find something I know I've read before. There was a point when I was playing with pogoplugs where the mobile (blue logo) would act like it was bricked (refuse to boot, light blinks, no network, etc) and I was able to "reset it" or put it in some kind of recovery mode by shorting two pins with a paper clip for 10 seconds when it was first powered up. I know we can diagnose most things by soldering a serial port, but this paper clip trick was a lifesaver that was clean and fast to start over if things went poorly. I just can't find the instructions. Does anyone know/remember what I'm talking about?

Thanks,
-brmiller
Re: Pogoplug Mobile debrick with paperclip?
November 16, 2022 10:56PM
brmiller,

I don't recall doing this reset with the Cloudengine Pogoplug Mobile/V4.

But the Seagate Goflex Home and Goflex Net did work like that. With a USB recovery stick plug in, you can restore stock FW using the reset button/hole.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
brmiller
November 16, 2022 11:09PM
Alright, thanks bodhi. Do you have the link handy to the recovery via usb process. Willing to do this "blind" without a serial port in the hopes it "just works" and then we can restore stock firmware or one of the available on-flash linux distros.

-brmiller
November 17, 2022 02:47PM
brmiller,

No, the Goflex Home and Pogo Mobile boxes are different from each other. Most likely the factory restore won't work the same way. Besides, that link I have was old and now broken.

To run serial console on this box, you don't even need to solder the header. This is what I did because I was soldering-challenged:

- Prepare the serial console GND,TXD,RXD wires. Attach the serial module converter to the laptop (or where you will run serial console picocom/minicom).
- Use 3 test hook clips. Similar to this from eBay. The type that you push the spring down and the hook extended out. Connect each to a serial wire from the serial module converter first.
- Use 3 shirt pins (If you're an old guy you will remmenber those pins that they use to hold the folded the shirt in a box). Those are smallest pins that are feather weighted.
- Use the test hook to grab each of the serial console wire and a shirt pin together.

Now get serial console session running wiht picocom/minicom. Push each of the 3 pins to the corresponding serial header lead buttons, remmember to cross TXD-RXD. The serial header lead buttons are soft, so the shirt pins will be able to hang there for a long time, if you are careful not to touch the test rig, they wont fall off. I recall about one unbrick session, I could leave them connected for a few hours.

Power up and unbrick!

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
brmiller
November 17, 2022 04:04PM
Thanks bodhi, we'll give this a try.

-brmiller
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.