Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help after upgrading Archlinux Kernel and Pacman -Syu

Posted by Looker 
Help after upgrading Archlinux Kernel and Pacman -Syu
April 21, 2015 11:02PM
Bodhi,

[Let me preface by saying I know you're not an Archlinux fan]

You're the only person I know that can probably either explain what happened and/or help me. Pogoplug E02, upgraded the kernel from 3.19 to 4, then updated using "Pacman -Syu". after the kernel update I was still able to boot but not after updating Pacman. Seems to be a uboot issue but maybe not that's why I'm asking. Can't boot into Pogo anymore either, with no USB flashdrive the green light doesn't even light up. With a flash drive inserted the green light illuminates but I can't connect to the E02. I can boot up with a drive from an older machine that uses 3.19 and all functions work fine.

The big question: Is there a fix for this or am I stuck with using 3.19? Please excuse me if this has been answered many times but I couldn't find a topic that covered this.
Re: Help after upgrading Archlinux Kernel and Pacman -Syu
April 21, 2015 11:31PM
Looker,

> with no USB flashdrive the
> green light doesn't even light up.

This is true for the new Arch u-boot. There is no fallback to Pogo OS, so you must boot with USB.

> With a flash
> drive inserted the green light illuminates but I
> can't connect to the E02.

It is a good sign in that the kernel has booted, but my guess is the rootfs could not be mounted.

> I can boot up with a
> drive from an older machine that uses 3.19 and all
> functions work fine.

This means u-boot is working fine. You can eliminate that as a possible reason.

> The big question: Is there a fix for this or am I
> stuck with using 3.19? Please excuse me if this
> has been answered many times but I couldn't find a
> topic that covered this.

Afer upgrade, the 3.19 rootfs that you are upgrading might have errors, or some kernel files were not regenerated:

1. File system error, so take it to another Linux box and do (assuming it's assigned as sdb1). If it is aumounted then unmount it first, and then:
e2fsck /dev/sdb1

If there are errors turned up during e2fsck, then it will fix it. In that case, you should do a few sync's before unplugging it.
sync
sync

2. If number 1 did not work. On the other Linux box, list the directory and see if uImage file was there:
ls -l /boot

3. If number 2 did not give any hint. Boot back to 3.19 and get the listing of u-boot envs and I'll take a look.
fw_printenv

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
April 22, 2015 09:23PM
1) found errors and fixed

2) uImage exists

3) below

4) Thank you for your help!

baudrate=115200
bootcmd=usb start; setenv letter 9;for type in usb; do for disk in 0 1 2 3; do if ${type} part ${disk};then setexpr letter $letter + 1;run load;fi;done;done;
bootdelay=3
bootm=echo Booting from ${disk} ...; run setargs; bootm ${loadaddr};
bootz=echo Booting from ${disk} ...; run setargs; bootz ${loadaddr} - ${fdt_addr};
console=ttyS0
fdt_addr=0x800000
fdt_file=/boot/dtbs/kirkwood-pogo_e02.dtb
importbootenv=echo Importing environment (uEnv.txt)...; env import -t $loadaddr $filesize
load=echo Attempting to boot from ${type} ${disk}:1...;if run loadbootenv; then run importbootenv;fi;echo Checking if uenvcmd is set ...;if test -n $uenvcmd; then echo Running uenvcmd ...;run uenvcmd;fi;echo Running default loadzimage ...;if run loadzimage; then run loadfdt;run bootz;fi;echo Running default loaduimage ...;if run loaduimage; then run bootm;fi;
loadaddr=0x810000
loadbootenv=load ${type} ${disk}:1 ${loadaddr} /boot/uEnv.txt
loadfdt=load ${type} ${disk}:1 ${fdt_addr} ${fdt_file}
loaduimage=load ${type} ${disk}:1 ${loadaddr} ${uimage}
loadzimage=load ${type} ${disk}:1 ${loadaddr} ${zimage}
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),-(rootfs)
setargs=setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} ${optargs} root=/dev/sd${letter}1 rw rootwait ${mtdparts}
uimage=/boot/uImage
zimage=/boot/zImage
ethaddr=00:25:31:04:81:B7

April 23, 2015 02:55PM
Hi Looker,

> 1) found errors and fixed

Did you try to boot back into Arch using this rootfs after fixing, and how did it go?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 23, 2015 09:03PM
Same results, the light will come on but won't boot. I also have another box that is booted and running Arch 4 but when I run the command "fw_printenv" it can't find it, even in " /usr/sbin/fw_printenv". If I turn that one off it wont boot to Arch 4, I'll have to boot back to 3.19 with an old flash drive.
April 24, 2015 03:14AM
Looker,

When you say it won't boot, meaning you can't find it on the network?

I think this might be the cause, if you can't find it in the network:
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8759&sid=dd236913ae6d486f10295d034bf373b0

This is a big disadvange with Arch U-Boot installation, you can't set up netconsole to see at least some of the progress. So, without serial console, you're practically blind :) I'm making educated guess here that your rootfs had errors (it was true) but it's not enough. That's why I suggested to check for uImage. I think this might be Arch specific as people reported in the linked post above.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 03, 2015 09:11PM
Thank you Bodhi,

That link fixed the problem by ignoring the kernal update. . . since then, Arch 4.01 was released, I cautiously updated on a test drive I made and it works great now. What ever the issue was in systemd has been fixed. I'm happily running on 4.01 on both my E02's and Series 4's.
May 19, 2015 06:30PM
Looker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you Bodhi,
>
> That link fixed the problem by ignoring the kernal
> update. . . since then, Arch 4.01 was released, I
> cautiously updated on a test drive I made and it
> works great now. What ever the issue was in
> systemd has been fixed. I'm happily running on
> 4.01 on both my E02's and Series 4's.

Me too, lucky to have 4.0.4-1-ARCH result after update when I hit uname -r

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.