Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

mainline kirkwood uboot

Posted by summers 
mainline kirkwood uboot
May 07, 2018 02:39PM
Sorry for what may be taken as a political first question ...

Is there a reason why the kirkwood uboot isn't mainlined on the denx site, instead maintained by bodhi?

Just thinking if mainlined, would stay in line with other set up, e.g. the change the scripting uboot, over environmental variables.

Just wondering if there was some politics behind it ...
Re: mainline kirkwood uboot
May 07, 2018 05:21PM
Hi summers,

There is no political reason at all :) It is just too much works for me to upstream Kirkwood u-boots. My experience in attempt to upstream had not give me confidence that will be easy. Note that ALARM maintain their own downstream Kirkwood u-boot. I suspected for the same reason.

And also there are some minor technical differences between mainline u-boot and my version that I don't think can be resolved. I will need to maintain a small patch for each u-boot after upstreaming.

I think I will attempt do that when I start my "retirement" from this forum. In the mean time, anybody can clone my GitHub and build their own u-boot images.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 09, 2018 01:46AM
Hi bodhi,

Yes I can understand that, mainlining and people get picky about coding styles, and merging common code across devices. Think the one advantage I've seen is it removes the onus on maintaining an independent branch, and thats a release of types ...

Interesting though that nsa310 is mainlined - and has you down as a maintainer! It isn't as new as your own version I think, but is a version!

Regards,

David.
May 09, 2018 03:43AM
Hi David,

Right! but this is only a hobby for me, so I will avoid the headache that will spoil the fun :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.