Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dump flash contents through u-boot

Posted by Biohead 
Dump flash contents through u-boot
March 08, 2014 07:15AM
Hi guys,

I've got a goflex net which I've recently had to recover and whilst I had some dumps, I've no idea of their origin as my original ones proved corrupt.

I've also got a 2nd goflex net which is sat in the box, still sealed and unused. As this firmware hasn't even been booted, I'm trying to think of a way of dumping the firmware in it's current state, through the uboot prompt. Although I'm pretty sure I know how to dump the flash, I'm not certain how I can get the dump off the goflex net through uboot.

From my past experiences when I did a lot of playing with the goflex, I seem to remember the USB/Sata ports are useless in uboot, which I'm guessing leaves tftp as the method of transferring the files. But can the goflex act as a server so I can pull the files from it?

I guess one other option would be to flash a new boot loader and boot from a USB stick with debian or so forth? Mtd1 and mtd2 are the more important dumps for this I feel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 08:26AM by Biohead.
Re: Dump flash contents through u-boot
March 09, 2014 06:04AM
Right - managed to get that done. I ended up booting to a USB install of Debian by uploading a different boot loader through UART. Thanks to that method, the new device has never actually been booted using its own nand so these dumps are factory fresh.

The result is completely virgin dumps of mtd1 and 2. Restoring these back to my other goflex net worked fine (all showing up in pogoplug.com) and with a version of 2.1.3, as opposed to the as-current 3.4.5. It even shows the name of the device as "Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex" as opposed to the current, and rather generic "Pogoplug". Default ssh password is stxadmin, and the "Enable SSH" option in pogoplug.com showed up for me overnight - unlike the dumps I have been using where it never seemed to appear.

I've uploaded them here: http://ppl.ug/9-29lbY1JWE/ and they're in the 2.1.3 folder. Probably for a very limited audience, but no doubt will come in useful for those people that do happen to need them at some point.
Re: Dump flash contents through u-boot
March 14, 2014 04:07AM
Nicely done :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.