Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Davy Gravy's uboot for series 4 mmc card

Posted by t3ch42 
Davy Gravy's uboot for series 4 mmc card
March 16, 2014 07:28PM
Having small issues with a fresh series 4 I picked up from adorama. Nothing too bad, followed instructions that are linked to my user name on the boards and didn't have any issues changing the environment variables for the series 4(arc number and so on).
What I trying to do is set up a wireless nas. I am using a ralink USB device, don't recall the model, but its one of the common chipsets. I managed to get that working pretty well but have a few issues to iron out there.
The problem I find now is my SD card is not recognized every so often or displays corruption. I have net console installed, so its only a matter of resetting the loader, but it takes a few times to catch it just right.
Any insight on this issue?
Re: Davy Gravy's uboot for series 4 mmc card
March 16, 2014 10:01PM
t3ch42,

> The problem I find now is my SD card is not
> recognized every so often or displays corruption.
> I have net console installed, so its only a matter
> of resetting the loader, but it takes a few times
> to catch it just right.
> Any insight on this issue?

If I understand correctly, the problem is during booting? if that's true, then we can't do much other than trying to work around it. Because this is davygravy U-Boot image.

Since we have not been successful in getting the Pogo V4 U-Boot working for internal SATA, I have not built Pogo V4 U-Boot for release. See the last 2 pages of this thread:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14697

But if people who have Pogo V4 can live without the internal SATA, then I would make a build with ebbes's patch and release it here. And of course you can also try to use ebbes's image in the above thread.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 10:02PM by bodhi.
March 17, 2014 11:31AM
Yes, you got the gist of my intent from the post. My apologies for being unclear. I assume that the issue is in the uboot for the occasional inability to recognize the card. Wasn't sure if it was a mmc vs sdhc issue, as some devices still don't like the sdhcs.
I know that I have issues with my raspberry pi with power loss corrupting and bricking the SD cards for certain.
I have been following the newer "unifying" uboot thread for the last few weeks but have not been able to discern too much as to what is different between the existing and newer versions. My apologies again,( but for running on this time) is the version with ebbes patch a "cleaner" uboot? Trying to understand what the issues are in the existing vs. the work on the new versions(aside from the missing sata of course; the work shown does seem promising though).

Thanks for reading,
T3ch42
March 19, 2014 02:28PM
t3ch42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My
> apologies again,( but for running on this time) is
> the version with ebbes patch a "cleaner" uboot?
> Trying to understand what the issues are in the
> existing vs. the work on the new versions(aside
> from the missing sata of course; the work shown
> does seem promising though).
>
> Thanks for reading,
> T3ch42

My patched U-Boot uses a more recent SD patch (and is based on more recent code, having support for e.g. ext4 filesystems). However, this does not guarantee that your problem is solved with it. I have a SDHC card that works perfectly fine in my Pogoplug Mobile, but often fails reading in my Pogoplug V4, both with exactly the same U-Boot version. However, another card works perfectly fine in my V4. So I assume that the hardware of Mobile and V4 differs a bit more than I usually thought.
I will try to adjust the timings to see if I can get this particular card to work flawlessly on my V4, if it's just the timings then this patch might help fix your problem...
By the way: Could you please provide some U-Boot output when a SD boot fails?

EDIT: Okay, at least for me it's not the timings. However, setting a different base clock for MMC (in my patchset, 166 MHz was default, also possible are 100 or 200 MHz) seems to do the trick. I think I'll do some further testing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 02:58PM by ebbes.
March 19, 2014 10:47PM
Well, as of today, it won't fail.
I have USB WiFi devices plugged into the top usb and top usb3.0. I tried rebooting 8 times and no problems booting up each time. Weird.
I look forward to testing your u-boot out. I was excited to hear about your results.
Can your Mac address be reset to original value? Its not a major deal, but mine changes every time I boot up. I remember seeing something in the environment for that, but have haven't wanted to make a change without my serial device set up.
Thanks for the testing and development. I would like to get more involved in this type of research. Most of my projects usually aren't that useful it seems.
March 20, 2014 05:32AM
My current build is available here. But please don't test it unless you've got working serial connection until it's been confirmed to work by more testers.

Regarding your Mac Address: Does printenv show an ethaddr value? If not, you could set it using setenv ethaddr 00:25:wh:at:ev:er and saveenv. However, at least with my builds, ethaddr can be reset, I think this was not possible with Doozan's builds. I don't know about davygravy's builds, though.
March 24, 2014 09:11PM
read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
2399792 bytes read
Loading file "/boot/uInitrd" from mmc device 0:1 (xxa1)
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
6568066 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.13.1-kirkwood-tld-2
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2399728 Bytes = 2.3 MiB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

Pogov4>

Thanks for the links. I haven't been able to try yet, but am looking forward to checking out the overclocked version. When my v4 failed, this is what I got a few times. This is the majority of it. Most of the time I just got the bad CRC.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.