Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with Stora MS2000/MS2110 NAND replacement

Posted by Gitsov 
Problems with Stora MS2000/MS2110 NAND replacement
February 01, 2018 02:58PM
Hello,

I got two units of Netgear Stora MS2110/2000 (same hardware, but 2110 are sold with 1TB drive inside). Second unit had dead flash with almost no good cells left and producing ECC errors, so I decided to replace NAND chip. And now story begins:
- tried to buy same Samsung K9F2G08U0C-SCB0 from Aliexpress - both 5 chips arrived DOA. Symptoms were - no TTL output, no LED lights/blinks, only one chip was recognized only one time from U-Boot via kwboot, but as 1MB/4KB pagesize. So I throw them.
- After few days investigation found that Samsung NAND chips of this type are EOL and it's no more on table for selling. Looked for compatible alternative and based on datasheets decided to order Cypress/Spansion S34ML02G100TFI000. On a paper both chips are similar and should be interchangeable, but when I replaced Samsung one with Spansion one problems began. Symptoms - when I load via kwboot/TTL original u-boot dump, chip is recognized with correct size, page size, eraseblock and so on. I can flash it with orifginal firmware files (nand dumps without ECC and OOB), flashing ends without any errors and complaints, but after reboot unit is completely dead - no TTL output from U-boot, no lights, just a spinning fan. Tried to boot unit via kwboot with original u-boot and unit is booting from NAND, tried to flash Bodhi's 2017.05 U-boot + recovery kernel/rootfs on USB for Stora - same problem - it boots via serial, but not in standalone. At this moment I am bit lost where to look and what to change - not sure if this is a problem of U-Boot/Kernel NAND support or just NAND flash controller is not recognizing NAND chip and refuses to initialize it.
For convenience datasheets are attached. Tomorrow I will get U-boot logs too. I really need advise where to look for clues and will be happy to share any progress which I will gain.
Attachments:
open | download - K9F2G08U0C-Samsung.pdf (525.2 KB)
open | download - S34ML01G1_S34ML02G1_S34ML04G1_1_Gbit_2_G-933041.zip.001 (900 KB)
open | download - S34ML01G1_S34ML02G1_S34ML04G1_1_Gbit_2_G-933041.zip.002 (226.2 KB)
Re: Problems with Stora MS2000/MS2110 NAND replacement
February 01, 2018 04:29PM
Gitsov,

> I load via kwboot/TTL original u-boot dump, chip
> is recognized with correct size, page size,
> eraseblock and so on. I can flash it with
> orifginal firmware files (nand dumps without ECC
> and OOB), flashing ends without any errors and
> complaints, but after reboot unit is completely
> dead - no TTL output from U-boot, no lights, just
> a spinning fan.

> Tried to boot unit via kwboot with
> original u-boot and unit is booting from NAND,
> tried to flash Bodhi's 2017.05 U-boot + recovery
> kernel/rootfs on USB for Stora - same problem - it
> boots via serial, but not in standalone. At this
> moment I am bit lost where to look and what to
> change - not sure if this is a problem of
> U-Boot/Kernel NAND support or just NAND flash
> controller is not recognizing NAND chip and
> refuses to initialize it.

At this point, I would just make sure that you can boot with kwboot using the latest u-boot, and then boot the latest Debian rootfs.

NAND is nice to have, but once you decide to use USB or HDD rootfs, then the only inconvenience is when you reboot you need to use serial to load u-boot.

In any case, if you can get it to boot with Debian-4.12.1-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2, then likely we will be able to see why that NAND does not work, and what to do about it.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 02, 2018 01:11AM
It's booting.
Log is provided in other Debian thread and it is attached here as well.
If I need to keep PC near to NAS to keep it booting via serial ... I will throw unit in trash bin and will install some NAS software on PC (OMV, FreeNAS, Nas4Free, vanilla FreeBSD with needed packages) :)

Goal is to make unit to be standalone and boot from flash (later will decide about SATA or USB rootfs). I need to know if problem is in hardware (NAND controller in SoC is having difficulties with initialization) or there is a compatibility problems with U-Boot and/or kernel. For now I am suspecting that controller have problems with NAND chip as your U-Boot should have support for NAND (at least Spansion/Cypress site said that 2017 dated U-boot code includes support for this chip).

Differences in u-boot "nand info" outputs which I noted are (second one is original Samsung chip):

Device 0: nand0, sector size 128 KiB

Page size       2048 b

OOB size          64 b

Erase size    131072 b

subpagesize      512 b

options     0x4000101c

bbt options 0x00008000

Device 0: nand0, sector size 128 KiB

Page size       2048 b

OOB size          64 b

Erase size    131072 b

subpagesize      512 b

options     0x40001014

bbt options 0x00008000

Attachments:
open | download - ms2000-U-boot.2017.05.Bootlog.txt (17.2 KB)
February 02, 2018 04:07AM
Gitsov,

Everything looks good to me.

Try flashing u-boot image and it's default env image. Please post the log of this flashing session.

And reboot with serial console running picocom/minicom. What does the boot log show?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 02, 2018 04:26AM
I tried that already yesterday - nandflash just writes sectors from 0x0 to 0x100000 and no other errors are logged. This is for original mtd0 image, same for your u-boot, but addresses are less.
If I flash env image it's freezing when original flash chip is used (it's 1MB is still alive), while Linux is booting, but have TTL output.
Problem is when I flash either your u-boot or original mtd0 partition image and leave unit to boot/read u-boot from Spansion's flash instead of kwboot - then I have no serial output at all (totally blank screen) and no any LED lights at all. Just the fan is spinning, no other signs of life. Power, HDD1/2 and LAN LEDs are off. I am suspecting that problem is somewhere before U-Boot init. Maybe bootrom which is responsible for hardware initialization before TTL/COM connection is initialized, but need to be sure.
February 02, 2018 04:39AM
Gitsov,

> I am
> suspecting that problem is somewhere before U-Boot
> init. Maybe bootrom which is responsible for
> hardware initialization before TTL/COM connection
> is initialized, but need to be sure.

You are most likely correct. The bootROM might be choking on this NAND. Perhaps you need to look at the 6281 Reference Manual. If it can't understand this NAND device then nothing would hapen, i.e. blank screen.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 02, 2018 05:09AM
Excerpt from Ref Manual for 6281. Pardon the format! it was copy/pasted from PDF.

Boot from NAND Flash

In this boot method, a boot image must be located on the first page of the NAND flash. The main header must exist at offset 0, and an extension header is mandatory for this boot device, to perform DDR initialization (since the image must be copied to the DDR to be executed, and it cannot be executed directly from NAND flash).
In this boot mode, <NFActCEnBoot> field in the NAND Flash Control Register
(Table 613 p. 676) is set to 1, which enables the NAND flash controller to hold the CEn signal asserted throughout the entire read phase.
The source image must be located at the offset specified by the main header.
The main header, extension header, and source image must contain valid checksum values.
The source image is downloaded to the DDR byte-by-byte, using a NAND flash software protocol.
Since there are different types of NAND flash devices, with different read command sequences, the bootROM implements a detection mechanism, to support most of the NAND flash types. The bootROM tries to read the first 512 bytes in four different ways, and uses the main header checksum check as a success indication.
Following are the four types of NAND flash read commands used, listed in the order they are tried by the bootROM:
Table 79: Types of NAND Flash Read Commands Supported
Note

NAND Flash Type
Read Command Sequence
Large pages
5 address cycles with 0x30 command trailer
Command 0x00, Address 0–7, Address 8–11, Address 12–19, Address 20–27, Address 28 and above, Command 0x30 NOTE: For pages larger than 2K, the size should be indicated in
the main header of the BootROM.
512 byte pages 3 address cycles
Plane A (Address bit-8 = 0): Command 0x00, Address 0–7, Address 9–16, Address 17–24
Plane B (Address bit-8 = 1): Command 0x01, Address 0–7, Address 9–16, Address 17–24
Large pages
4 address cycles with 0x30 command trailer
Command 0x00, Address 0–7, Address 8–11, Address 12–19, Address 20–27, Command 0x30
NOTE: For pages larger than 2K, the size should be indicated in
the main header of the BootROM.
512 byte pages 4 address cycles
Plane A (Address bit-8 = 0): Command 0x00, Address 0–7, Address 9–16, Address 17–24, Address 25–26
Plane B (Address bit-8 = 1): Command 0x01, Address 0–7, Address 9–16, Address 17–24, Address 25–26
The bootROM tries to boot from four types of NAND flash devices four times (a total of 16 times). The first eight trials are performed with ECC calculation and the last eight trials are performed skipping ECC correction. A NAND flash reset (using the command 0xFF) is performed before each boot trial.
Copyright © 2008 Marvell Doc. No. MV-S104860-U0 Rev. C December 2, 2008, Preliminary Document Classification: Proprietary Information Page 301
88F6180/88F619x/88F6281 Functional Specifications
On each trial, the bootROM checks the 32-bit checksum on the image copied to the RAM. If the checksum fails, the bootROM registers the error, increments the retry count, and restarts the boot process. The bootROM supports both 4-bit RS ECC (Reed-Solomon Error Correcting Code) and 1-bit Hamming ECC (Error Correcting Code). For Large Page NAND flash devices, RS ECC is used, while for small page devices, Hamming ECC is used.
The following are the ECC algorithms supported per NAND flash types.
Table 80: Types of ECC Protocols Supported per Flash Type
Bad Block Management
The BootROM supports bad block skipping. Before reading from a block, it is verified to be a good block, by checking the appropriate OOB byte (or bytes) in the Spare area to be 0xFF.
For the 512B page devices, the number of pages per block is fixed at 32 (and thus block size is 16 KB).
For Large page devices (2 KB and over), the block size, pages per block number, and the technology used (cell type is MLC or SLC) are read at runtime using the READID command (in bytes 3 and 4).
The following are the OOB locations checked by the bootROM based on the type of NAND flash selected through the reset strap.
Table 81: Bad Block Indicators per NAND Flash Cell Type

NAND Flash Type
Read Command Sequence
Large pages
4 or 5 address cycles with 0x30 command trailer
RS-ECC with 4-bit detection/correction per 512B of data.
512 byte page
3 and 4 address cycles
Hamming with 2-bit detection, with 1-bit correction per 256B of data (23-bit ECC).
NAND Flash Type
Read Command Sequence
Large page MLC devices
Byte[0] of the spare area in the last page of the block (For a good block, the byte should be equal to 0xFF).
Large page SLC devices
Byte[0] and Byte[5] of the spare area in the first and second pages of the block (For a good block, both bytes should be equal to 0xFF).
512B page SLC devices
Byte[5] of the spare area in the first and second pages of the block (For a good block, the bytes should be equal to 0xFF).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 05:11AM by bodhi.
February 02, 2018 11:58AM
Hello,

Likely the culprit is this:
For Large page devices (2 KB and over), the block size, pages per block number, and the technology used (cell type is MLC or SLC) are read at runtime using the READID command (in bytes 3 and 4).

Every manufacturer have it's own ID for copyright protection purposes and I am suspecting that bootROM is checking it. Depending what is predefined it can refuse to initialize and use that chip. Additionally I am not sure that "allowed" IDs can be read from it. Anyways ... I found that 512MB chip which I ordered for test is working and unit at the moment is revived with it. Little work and now unit have 512MB NAND onboard and it is 100% usable. Later will try to deploy either Debian or some Redhat based distro on NAND. For today I feel little bit tired to continue with this kind of fight.
Thanks for you time Bodhi and let me know if you need some logs from that "Frankenstein" unit.
I believe that have several unusable/incompatible NAND chips from Spansion/Cypress.
March 26, 2018 12:49PM
Hello there,

I have two stora boxes here and one of them is bricked at the moment. I'm investigating this awesome forum to see what can be done to fix it.

Gitsov, did you have any progress on the new 512 NAND you ordered? I'm quite interested to hear the outcome of this one :)

Greetings!
March 26, 2018 01:35PM
MisterD,

> I have two stora boxes here and one of them is
> bricked at the moment. I'm investigating this
> awesome forum to see what can be done to fix it.

Your best approach is to connect serial console first. Some Stora boxes (not all) also has UART booting capability, iirc, so it can be unbricked even if NANDs are bad.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 26, 2018 01:36PM
Yes, it's booting. With some modifications, original firmware says that rootfs partition is nearly 500MB in size and have 240-250MB free space after original rootfs placement on it. Bad points is that I wasted 50€ in trial/error exercises, because lack of documentation regarding supported NAND architectures and sizes.
March 29, 2018 05:01PM
@MisterD,

To get the right serial module converter, look in the Wiki thread:
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,23630

Serial Console & JTAG console

Repair Pogo E02 with Raspberry PI (JTAG) and OpenOCD
Serial Port connector - what are people using to make it work
Serial Console hookup - GoFlex Net (external link)
Serial Console hookup - Pogoplug E02 and Pogoplug Pro V3 (external link)
OSX Serial/Net Console
Use Phone Jack - Phone Jack Serial Console Pics
Adding serial connector to Pogoplug Mobile (external link)
WD Mycloud EX2100/4100 Serial Console pic1, also pic2, pic3
Dreamplug Serial Console
How to unbrick your box using serial console with kwboot

Serial Port connector - what are people using to make it work

The 2nd post:
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?8,13263,13264#msg-13264

Note: only connect 3 wires TX, RX, and GND. Never connect power 3.3V to the board.

And you need to open up the Stora to look at the header. See if it is JST or microJST. IIRC, the Stora has regular JST size, but I am not sure, so you need to confirm.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 05:03PM by bodhi.
April 17, 2018 12:16PM
@bodhi

Good news! I was able to order the right low level ttl serial cable and connect it as described in your links.
The bricked Stora is now restored to it's original state, thanks to your help!

I would like to run a Debian OS on this box. Does that need to be written to the NAND or can it run on the drive? Could you please show me in the right direction?

Again, thank you so much for the useful links. I learned tons here :)

Greetings!
April 18, 2018 02:37AM
MisterD,

> The bricked Stora is now restored to it's original
> state, thanks to your help!

Cool!

> I would like to run a Debian OS on this box. Does
> that need to be written to the NAND or can it run
> on the drive? Could you please show me in the
> right direction?
>

We run the Stora on USB or HDD. There is no need to store it in NAND.

Stora rootfs:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

Storage u-boot:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 18, 2018 01:30PM
Bodhi,

I know that it is a bit of bad question, but ... can I boot it from NAND?
After NAND change I have roughly 440MB free space on NAND, so it sould be enough for bare minimum to boot in shell, create RAID, partition it, format it. Later with a (lot) of scripting your Debian rootfs can be "expanded" on a hard drives and to full blown Linux installation.

Main idea behind this is to get some good recent base and to "rebuild" Stora's functionality on it. Main points are better new kernel, Samba4, miniDLNA and more.

I tried to flash kernel on mtd1 of Stora and it is being start, but got kernel panic "unable to sync fs, please provide correct boot partition". Kernel itself was prepared as in your howto for USB drive. U-Boot is original Stora one, mtd2 is actually untouched with original rootfs inside. I do not know where to put uInit. Tried to pack kernel and uInit like in howto on denx.de, but result was "You hitted u-boot bug #do_not_remember_exact number" or simply "bad magic". File was 7.8MB in size and probably that's why u-boot was complaining. If you are interested I can grant you access to my "Frankenstein" for tests?
April 18, 2018 03:08PM
Bodhi,

The u-boot on my Stora is the stock one from netgear.

__  __                      _ _
        |  \/  | __ _ _ ____   _____| | |
        | |\/| |/ _` | '__\ \ / / _ \ | |
        | |  | | (_| | |   \ V /  __/ | |
        |_|  |_|\__,_|_|    \_/ \___|_|_|
 _   _     ____              _
| | | |   | __ )  ___   ___ | |_ 
| | | |___|  _ \ / _ \ / _ \| __| 
| |_| |___| |_) | (_) | (_) | |_ 
 \___/    |____/ \___/ \___/ \__| 
 ** MARVELL BOARD: RD-88F6281A LE 

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Sep  4 2009 - 09:36:11) Marvell version: 3.4.14

U-Boot code: 00600000 -> 0067FFF0  BSS: -> 006CEE60

Soc: MV88F6281 Rev 3 (DDR2)
CPU running @ 1000Mhz L2 running @ 333Mhz
SysClock = 333Mhz , TClock = 200Mhz 

DRAM CAS Latency = 5 tRP = 5 tRAS = 18 tRCD=6
DRAM CS[0] base 0x00000000   size  64MB 
DRAM CS[1] base 0x04000000   size  64MB 
DRAM Total size 128MB  16bit width
Flash:  0 kB
Addresses 8M - 0M are saved for the U-Boot usage.
Mem malloc Initialization (8M - 7M): Done
NAND:256 MB
CRC in Flash: e13ef249, Calculated CRC: e13ef249

CPU : Marvell Feroceon (Rev 1)

Is it needed to update the U-boot to the one you posted? I am okay to do it, but I don't know much on this subject to be honoust. So I am sorry for the noob questions ... I just like to learn, but on the other hand I don't want to ruin my stora by making some mistake that I cannot reverse again.

Thanks so much for your help, much appreciated!

Cheers
April 18, 2018 03:39PM
As far as I know old u-boot is having difficulties with booting newer kernels.It's better to update it. Take a backup of NAND mtd partitions first (nanddump and nandwrite are your best friends). As far as you have bootable OS on NAND/USB/HDD you can revert to stock backup images even without TTL connection. If you kill u-boot, kwboot is your way to going back to stock or point zero, but you will need to have proper backups of partitions (at least mtd0 and mtd1, mtd2 can be recovered from Netgear server online).
April 18, 2018 06:08PM
@MisterD,

It is best to upgrade u-boot. Eventhough it is possible to boot Debian with stock u-boot, it will take a bit of works to setup. We are too far beyond stock here in this forum, so you would need to do it yourself (of course I'll help when there is trouble).

As Gitsov described above, it is not difficult to recover from bricking if you have serial console and can kwboot into the box. So I would try to kwboot and make sure it works and go from there.

Note that once you upgraded u-boot, you can no longer boot stock OS.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 18, 2018 07:39PM
Gitsov,

Not very interested to run the kernel in NAND! I think running it in NAND will just delay security updates and limit your system storage, while running it on USB and HDD will be a an up-to-date system all the time.

With that said, everybody has different needs. So if you do want to pursue that, then I would recommend running the latest u-boot, which will solve all weird problems you are seeing. IOW, go all the way: new u-boot and flash Debian rootfs to NAND.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 07:41PM by bodhi.
Hello
I have a different but similar problem.
during the uploading of the uboot by the COM (serial) there was no power.
after this fact, the stora is cold.

only the fan works, the screen putty/COM is empty.

How to restore uboot again?

is uboot saved in nand samsung memory?
or in some eprom and I can program it with an ordinary programmer?
July 27, 2018 06:11PM
krzysiek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello
> I have a different but similar problem.
> during the uploading of the uboot by the COM
> (serial) there was no power.
> after this fact, the stora is cold.

I am not sure what you described.

Did you run kwboot and got no response from the box? If you did, please post the log here (kwboot command and whatever on the terminal after that).

>
> only the fan works, the screen putty/COM is
> empty.
>
> How to restore uboot again?
>
> is uboot saved in nand samsung memory?
> or in some eprom and I can program it with an
> ordinary programmer?

Try kwboot if you have not done so.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Hello
I killed my stora when I updated the firmware.
I have access to the nand programmer.
could anyone share me nand dump memory ?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.