Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2015.10 U-Boot for Pogoplug V3 (OXNAS OX820)

Posted by bodhi 
Re: 2015.10 U-Boot for Pogoplug V3 (OXNAS OX820)
January 04, 2016 08:18PM
LeggoMyEggo,

thanks for your suggestion. I must have updated my post in parallel, since I figured out this solution as well. And, actually, I just used the drive I had, did the renaming, booted the box, corrected the uBoot environment, reverted the renaming and that was it. Too easy, but it is getting late (early) ...

Cheers,

chessplayer

---
Standart ist der Standardfehler
January 04, 2016 10:58PM
Glad chessplayer figured it out and all is well!

For further confirmation: The Pro can boot the Classic's DTB, but not vice versa. This is because the Classic does not have PCI port. And,

1. The good thing about uEnv.txt is we could use it to correct this mistake.
2. I purposely put the uEnv.txt in the bootcmd, not the preboot command. This is to lessen the chance that new users could have a typo and got locked out of the box. But I've realized that perhaps I was overly cautious. If the uEnv.txt were loaded during preboot, it would be more useful, so next release I will change this to preboot.

Of course, in this specific case, we can just take the disk to another box and copy the Classic DTB to the Pro DTB file, like Leggo suggested.

Regarding the ethaddr setting, I'll take look later to see why it could not be set in Debian.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 11:01PM by bodhi.
January 05, 2016 05:59AM
bodhi,

the question remains why you suggest setting up the boot env like this in step 6 of your FTD kernel thread:

fw_setenv uinitrd_addr '0x60e00000'
fw_setenv uimage_addr '0x60500000'
fw_setenv dtb_addr '0x62c00000'
fw_setenv usb_set_bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10'
fw_setenv dt_bootm 'bootm $uimage_addr $uinitrd_addr $dtb_addr'
fw_setenv dt_load_dtb 'ext2load usb 0:1 $dtb_addr /boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-pro.dtb'
fw_setenv dt_load_initrd 'ext2load usb 0:1 $uinitrd_addr /boot/uInitrd'
fw_setenv dt_load_uimage 'ext2load usb 0:1 $uimage_addr /boot/uImage'
fw_setenv dt_usb_boot 'run dt_load_uimage; run dt_load_initrd; run dt_load_dtb; run dt_bootm'
fw_setenv dt_usb_bootcmd 'run usb_set_bootargs; run dt_usb_boot'
fw_setenv dt_bootcmd_usb 'usb start; run dt_usb_bootcmd; usb stop; reset'
fw_setenv bootcmd 'run dt_bootcmd_usb'

Clearly, this makes uEnv.txt unusable, whereas your original bootcmd does use it, since it includes uenv_read:

bootcmd=run bootcmd_uenv; run scan_disk; run set_bootargs; run bootcmd_exec; reset
bootcmd_uenv=run uenv_load; if test $uenv_loaded -eq 1; then run uenv_import; fi
uenv_load=run uenv_init_devices; setenv uenv_loaded 0; for devtype in $devices;  do for disknum in 0; do run uenv_read_disk; done; done;
uenv_read_disk=if test $devtype -eq mmc; then if $devtype part; then run uenv_read;  fi; else if $devtype part $disknum; then run uenv_read; fi;  fi
uenv_read=echo loading envs from $devtype $disknum ...; if load $devtype $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uEnv.txt; then setenv uenv_loaded 1; fi

So, if you want the above dt_bootcmd_usb to be run, wouldn't it make much more sense to put all that into uEnv.txt? That way, you can also supersede ethaddr with uEnv.txt and all should be ok?

Also, I will test again without all the dt_* stuff, because I believe that it worked fine on the Pro box anyway.

Then, I will also try the netconsole once more, which definitely is not working with the OXNAS and the FTD kernel. On the Kirkwoods, I still run the non-FTD 3.14 kernel and netconsole works as it should. Could that be part of the problem, FTD vs. Non-FTD kernel?

Cheers,

chessplayer

---
January 05, 2016 06:24AM
chessplayer,

>
> the question remains why you suggest setting up
> the boot env like this in step 6 of your
> FTD kernel thread:

Thanks for raising this question! I simply forgot to update the kernel thread to mention that if you have installed the new u-boot and also flashing the new u-boot default envs, then these don't apply! the default u-boot envs are what needed.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 05, 2016 06:52AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Regarding the ethaddr setting, I'll take look
> later to see why it could not be set in Debian.

Maybe this gives a clue: Debian bug report

Cheers,

chessplayer

---
January 05, 2016 08:37AM
bodhi Wrote:
> chessplayer,
>
> >
> > the question remains why you suggest setting up
> > the boot env like this in step 6 of your
> >
> FTD
> kernel thread
:
>
> Thanks for raising this question! I simply forgot
> to update the kernel thread to mention that if you
> have installed the new u-boot and also flashing
> the new u-boot default envs, then these don't
> apply! the default u-boot envs are what needed.

Flustered

Ok, so I did the following on my classic B04 box:

fw_setenv usb_set_bootargs
fw_setenv dt_bootm
fw_setenv dt_load_dtb
fw_setenv dt_load_initrd
fw_setenv dt_load_uimage
fw_setenv dt_usb_boot
fw_setenv dt_usb_bootcmd
fw_setenv dt_bootcmd_usb
fw_setenv bootcmd 'run bootcmd_uenv; run scan_disk; run set_bootargs; run bootcmd_exec; reset'

That got rid of almost everything from step 6 in the kernel thread and gave me this uBoot environment:

bootcmd_exec=run load_uimage; if run load_initrd; then if run load_dtb; then bootm 0x60500000 0x60e00000 0x62c00000; else bootm 0x60500000 0x60e00000; fi; else if run load_dtb; then bootm 0x60500000 - 0x62c00000; else bootm 0x60500000; fi; fi
bootcmd=run bootcmd_uenv; run scan_disk; run set_bootargs; run bootcmd_exec; reset
bootcmd_uenv=run uenv_load; if test $uenv_loaded -eq 1; then run uenv_import; fi
bootdelay=10
bootdev=usb
usb_custom_params=zswap.enabled=1
device=0:1
devices=usb ide
disks=0 1 2 3
ethaddr=52:3b:20:9c:11:51
ethact=mii0
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
ipaddr=192.168.xxx.yyy
serverip=192.168.xxx.zzz
dtb_file=/boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb
load_dtb=echo loading DTB $dtb_file ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x62c00000 $dtb_file
load_initrd=echo loading uInitrd ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x60e00000 /boot/uInitrd
load_uimage=echo loading uImage ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x60500000 /boot/uImage
mainlineLinux=yes
mtdids=nand0=41000000.nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=41000000.nand:14m(boot),-(data)
preboot_nc=setenv nc_ready 0; for pingstat in 1 2 3 4 5; do; sleep 1; if run if_netconsole; then setenv nc_ready 1; fi; done; if test $nc_ready -eq 1; then run start_netconsole; fi
scan_disk=echo running scan_disk ...; scan_done=0; setenv scan_usb "usb start";  setenv scan_ide "ide reset";  setenv scan_mmc "mmc rescan"; for dev in $devices; do if test $scan_done -eq 0; then echo Scan device $dev; run scan_$dev; for disknum in $disks; do if test $scan_done -eq 0; then echo device $dev $disknum:1; if ext2load $dev $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uImage 1; then scan_done=1; echo Found bootable drive on $dev $disknum; setenv device $disknum:1; setenv bootdev $dev; fi; fi; done; fi; done
set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=LABEL=rootfs rootdelay=10 $mtdparts $custom_params
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;
stderr=serial
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
uenv_import=echo importing envs ...; env import -t 0x60500000
uenv_init_devices=setenv init_usb "usb start";  setenv init_ide "ide reset";  setenv init_mmc "mmc rescan"; for devtype in $devices; do run init_$devtype; done;
uenv_load=run uenv_init_devices; setenv uenv_loaded 0; for devtype in $devices;  do for disknum in 0; do run uenv_read_disk; done; done;
uenv_read_disk=if test $devtype -eq mmc; then if $devtype part; then run uenv_read;  fi; else if $devtype part $disknum; then run uenv_read; fi;  fi
uenv_read=echo loading envs from $devtype $disknum ...; if load $devtype $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uEnv.txt; then setenv uenv_loaded 1; fi
usb_ready_retry=15
preboot=run preboot_nc
uinitrd_addr=0x60e00000
uimage_addr=0x60500000
dtb_addr=0x62c00000

This is almost the exact same environment one gets when flashing your image, bodhi (apart from the preboot_nc, the dtb_file and the address variables (which are unused)).

However, now the box seems to boot but not to obtain an IP address (LED is green, but box does not show up in the router's list of connected devices).

So, I tried with the following uEnv.txt:

ethaddr=00:25:31:XX:YY:ZZ
uinitrd_addr=0x60e00000
uimage_addr=0x60500000
dtb_addr=0x62c00000
usb_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10
dt_bootm=bootm $uimage_addr $uinitrd_addr $dtb_addr
dt_load_dtb=ext2load usb 0:1 $dtb_addr $dtb_file
dt_load_initrd=ext2load usb 0:1 $uinitrd_addr /boot/uInitrd
dt_load_uimage=ext2load usb 0:1 $uimage_addr /boot/uImage
dt_usb_boot=run dt_load_uimage; run dt_load_initrd; run dt_load_dtb; run dt_bootm
dt_usb_bootcmd=run usb_set_bootargs; run dt_usb_boot
dt_bootcmd_usb=usb start; run dt_usb_bootcmd; usb stop; reset
bootcmd_exec=run dt_bootcmd_usb

This also did not work. Actually, it almost seems like uEnv.txt is not read by the classic B04 box in spite of the logic in the uBoot environment.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Well, I helped myself by removing uEnv.txt entirely and that worked ... So, at least I know that uEnv.txt is read and I will continue my investigations ...

Cheers,

chessplayer

---

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2016 09:26AM by chessplayer.
January 05, 2016 11:36AM
Continued ...

So, it seems that the box takes offense when I try to overwrite the ethaddr using uEnv.txt. If the file holds other settings, that seems to be ok. Thus, with netconsole still not working, the only solution is to set the MAC address in /etc/network/interfaces.

What I am currently wondering is whether it would not be better to read uEnv.txt before the boot process, so as part of preboot instead of as part of bootcmd, but I just do not understand enough of this whole uBoot concept.

Ploughing on ...

chessplayer

---
January 06, 2016 03:21AM
chessplayer,

> Thus, with netconsole still not working, the only
> solution is to set the MAC address in
> /etc/network/interfaces.

Do this first to get it running. Then SSH in, set up netconsole. In netconsole set the ethaddr variable. See if it is allowed.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 06, 2016 04:59AM
bodhi Wrote:
> chessplayer,
>
> > Thus, with netconsole still not working, the
> only
> > solution is to set the MAC address in
> > /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> Do this first to get it running. Then SSH in, set
> up netconsole. In netconsole set the ethaddr
> variable. See if it is allowed.

bodhi,

ok, I was not aware that anything needed to be done to set up netconsole except for what you say in step 12 of your flashing guide in the first post of this thread.

I did all that and netconsole does not work with the OXNAS boxes with the FTD kernel, but it does work with the latest uBoot and the old kernel 3.14 on the Kirkwood boxes (the uBoot envs for that as given in the Kirkwood uBoot thread are exactly the same as the ones here and that is what I used in both cases). This means that when I do
nc -lu 6666
I see the boot process from the Mobile (which is the Kirkwood box I updated to the lates uBoot), but I do not see anything from either one of the OXNAS boxes.

The big difference, of course, is, that I was able to set ethaddr using fw_setenv on the Mobile, so it has the correct value in NAND. The OXNAS boxes have the one from your image. But even if I set the ipaddr value to the one corresponding to this MAC address (for which I also have an entry in my router), nothing happens.

Of course, there are two more options to set the right values:

a) you could say how you create the file uboot.2013.10-tld-5.ox820.environment.img from the textfile uboot.2013.10-tld-5.ox820.environment (I should probably know that, but I do not). Then the relevant values could be adjusted in the textfile and the image could be regenerated and flashed.

b) I could use a hex editor for the image and change the values there (I am just looking at the image in Bless and there does not seem to be much mystery in it, so that seems like a straight forward way of doing things). Then I would flash the new image.

What do you think of these options?

Cheers,

chessplayer

---
January 06, 2016 08:37AM
Hello Bodhi,

Sorry that this is a bit off-topic.

I was lurking around the Linux kernel v4.4.0-rc7 source and noticed the Network console logging support (CONFIG_NETCONSOLE) feature which allows to log kernel messages over the network once the networking module is up (nenuconfig is as shown below). I also read the linux-4.4.0-rc7/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt and it mentions to use nc -u -l -p <port>' / 'nc -u -l <port> on host to communicate to the device. I sure would like to give this a try, but don't know the port # (6666 won't work). Have you any idea what the port # I should use in this case? Or, is there anything else I should configure on the boot env of my PogoPlug Pro 02 to accommodate this?
 .config - Linux/arm 4.4.0-rc7 Kernel Configuration
 > Device Drivers > Network device support ─────────────────────────
  ┌─────────────────── Network device support ───────────────────┐
  │  Arrow keys navigate the menu.  <Enter> selects submenus     │  
  │  ---> (or empty submenus ----).  Highlighted letters are     │  
  │  hotkeys.  Pressing <Y> includes, <N> excludes, <M>          │  
  │  modularizes features.  Press <Esc><Esc> to exit, <?> for    │  
  │ ┌────^(-)──────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │  
  │ │    [*]   Network core driver support                     │ │  
  │ │    < >     Bonding driver support                        │ │  
  │ │    < >     Dummy net driver support                      │ │  
  │ │    < >     EQL (serial line load balancing) support      │ │  
  │ │    [ ]     Fibre Channel driver support                  │ │  
  │ │    < >     Ethernet team driver support  ----            │ │  
  │ │    < >     MAC-VLAN support                              │ │  
  │ │    < >     Virtual eXtensible Local Area Network (VXLAN) │ │  
  │ │    <*>     Network console logging support               │ │  
  │ │    [*]       Dynamic reconfiguration of logging targets  │ │  
  │ └────v(+)──────────────────────────────────────────────────┘ │  
  ├──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤  
  │   <Select>    < Exit >    < Help >    < Save >    < Load >   │  
  └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘  
January 06, 2016 08:42AM
@chessplayer,

The correct command is
nc -lup 6666 192.168.0.xxx 6666
if the 192.168.0.xxx is your pogoplug u-boot env ipaddr.

If you have with netconsole while u-boot is booting, then pls post your u-boot envs, and describe how you test netconsole (what serverip, pogo ipaddr, ... ). The pre-generated ethaddr in the default u-boot envs should work fine and allow netconsole to run.
fw_printenv

@habibie,

To set up netconsole in Debian:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,9522

Note that the mkimage command use different address for the Pogo V3 (see the Oxnas kernel thread).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2016 08:51AM by bodhi.
January 06, 2016 09:03AM
bodhi Wrote:
> @chessplayer,
>
> The correct command is
>
> nc -lup 6666 192.168.0.xxx 6666
>
> if the 192.168.0.xxx is your pogoplug u-boot env
> ipaddr.
>
> If you have with netconsole while u-boot is
> booting, then pls post your u-boot envs, and
> describe how you test netconsole (what serverip,
> pogo ipaddr, ... ). The pre-generated ethaddr in
> the default u-boot envs should work fine and allow
> netconsole to run.
>
> fw_printenv
>
>

bodhi,

as I said, I am using your default environment with my main machine as the server and the ipaddr for the default mac address I defined in my router.
My command for nc works fine with the Kirkwood box, but does not with the OXNAS box.
If I use your command, I get the same result as reported by emac in your Rescue thread, i.e., "nc: Cannot assign requested address". My server is an Ubuntu LTS (Trusty) machine.

I'll try with your suggested Ubuntu command again, but do not expect to see a difference, but thanks for your support anyway.

---
January 06, 2016 09:24AM
chessplayer,

> as I said, I am using your default
> environment with my main machine as the server and
> the ipaddr for the default mac address I defined
> in my router.

You could keep the mac addr in the default u-boot env and define a static IP in /etc/network/interfaces. This mac addr is a randomly-generated local mac addr so you could leave it unchanged. Unless you have a second Pogo V3, then you need to change it.

Don't try to change the mac addr, or define the IP in the router. See if it works with a basic configuration like that (the router does not do anyting other than recognizing the static IP and the mac addr associated with it). I believe it will.

Also, with neconsole, sometime you have to let the router clear out whatever was defined before (either waiting for a while, or reboot the router).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 06, 2016 12:52PM
bodhi,

we are not really understanding each other. Here is my situation in the OXNAS boxes:

a) I can boot debian without a problem using a line like

hwaddress ether 192.0.xxx.yyy

in /etc/network interfaces.
b) I cannot see the boot process, since netconsole is not working
c) In my router, I have defined the IP address and hostname (oxdefault) to assign to a machine with the randomly generated MAC address 52:3b:20:9c:11:51 from the uBoot environment (which is fine, as long as I do not boot both OXNAS boxes at the same time). This works as it should, meaning that when I leave out the line in /etc/network/interfaces which sets the MAC address, the machine shows up as oxdefault in the router's list of connected clients.
d) Whenever the box encounters something in the uBoot environment which tries to influence the MAC address, it does not obtain an IP (which happens when I try to set ethaddr via uEnv.txt as well as when I try to boot the stock OS (see my post in the Rescue system thread)).

So, basically I am all set, since the main debian system works. However, just in case, it would be great to have

a) netconsole working
b) stock OS + your useful tools as a fallback
c) be able to set ethaddr in the uBoot environment

As to the latest point, what is your opinion on my suggestion a little further up to hex-edit the image file with the environment variables (taking care that its size is unchanged, obviously) and flashing that to set the MAC address?

Cheers,

chessplayer

---
January 06, 2016 05:43PM
Partial success

So, inelegant as it may be, my idea of hex-editing the uBoot environment image actually did work, and I now have my OXNAS boxes with the correct value for ethaddr, allowing me to use the same USB drive for both.

However, there are two points to consider:

a) Obviously, the total size of the image has to be exactly 128kb (i.e. 131072 b)
b) The first four bytes are CRC bytes. For bodhi's original image they are
CD 39 AA 71

So, what I did first was delete those four bytes using a hex editor (bless is shipped with Ubuntu or at least can be installed from the repos) and save the resulting file as test.img. Then, on the command line, I did
crc32 test.img
giving
71aa39cd

Apparently, this is the inverted order of the first four bytes in the original file, which is nice, since now I knew how to get the correct CRC bytes back in after editing the image file!

The resulting image files for the Pro box and the classic B04 box were then flashed as described in steps 9 and 10 of the first post in this thread and that provided both boxes with the correct value for ethaddr in the uBoot environment.

Unfortunately, neither netconsole nor booting the stock OS work with this setup either, so the success is just a partial one, but maybe some else still finds this procedure (which, of course, everyone who tries it, does so entirely at their own risk!).

Cheers,

chessplayer

---
January 06, 2016 10:49PM
chessplayer,

we are not really understanding each other. Here is my situation in the OXNAS boxes:

a) I can boot debian without a problem using a line like

hwaddress ether 192.0.xxx.yyy

in /etc/network interfaces.
b) I cannot see the boot process, since netconsole is not working

What I am trying to say is after you flashed the default u-boot envs image, the MAC address is a valid local MAC address. So there is no need to specificy the MAC address in /etc/network/interfaces to get it booting. You can use the MAC address in the default envs. And then set up netconsole. After netconsle is working, you can interrupt u-boot to change it.

In any case, see here for the binary and the command to generate the default envs image:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381,23892#msg-23892

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 07, 2016 05:24AM
bodhi Wrote:

>
> What I am trying to say is after you flashed the
> default u-boot envs image, the MAC address is a
> valid local MAC address. So there is no
> need
to specificy the MAC address in
> /etc/network/interfaces to get it booting. You can
> use the MAC address in the default envs. And then
> set up netconsole. After netconsle is working, you
> can interrupt u-boot to change it.
>
> In any case, see here for the binary and the
> command to generate the default envs image:
> http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381,23892#msg
> -23892

Thanks for the link. What hardware does your mkenvimage program run on (ARM box or Linux PC)?

And as to getting the boxes to boot: you are right about that, as I pointed aout several times myself. However, I have to be able to make the boxes have a unique MAC address at some point. Since netconsole is not working on the OXNAS boxes for me (and I have no clue what to do about that, since it is working on the Kirkwoods with the exact same settings from your guide in uBoot), I can only make that happen using the setting in /etc/network/interfaces, but having the correct ethaddr in the uBoot environment is preferable in my opinion. So, generating an image with the correct uBoot settings seems appropriate.

Anyway, I guess I will now leave you alone again for a while, since the Christmas break is over and I need to get back to work ...

Cheers,

chessplayer

---
January 07, 2016 09:02AM
Chessplayer,

> Thanks for the link. What hardware does your
> mkenvimage program run on (ARM box or Linux PC)?

It's ARM.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 21, 2016 08:38PM
No rule to make checkarmreloc

ARCH=arm make ox820_defconfig

ARCH=arm make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- -j4 all

CC lib/display_options.o
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `checkarmreloc', needed by `all'. Stop.
make: *** [spl/u-boot-spl] Error 2
January 21, 2016 09:18PM
Download U-Boot image at Dropbox:

uboot.2013.10-tld-3.ox820.bodhi.tar
md5
c916498ff7396cc81c9c9aa0a2d714d3

This archive contains the following 3 files:

uboot.spl.2013.10.ox820.mtd0.img --------- is 800Mhz not 700Mhz
uboot.2013.10-tld-3.ox820.mtd0.img
pogopro_uboot_env.img
January 22, 2016 10:15AM
700Mhz stage1

./nandbd_upgrade -s u-boot-spl.bin /dev/mtd0
Attachments:
open | download - u-boot.spl.700mhz.tar.bz2 (12.9 KB)
January 22, 2016 10:44AM
earthGavinLee Wrote:
> 700Mhz stage1
>
> ./nandbd_upgrade -s u-boot-spl.bin /dev/mtd0

Read a few posts before the lastest one.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 09, 2016 03:11PM
Some time ago @shv published http://pogoplug.cwsurf.de/ox820-sata-uboot.tar.gz which is needed (if I understand it correctly) to make bootable SATA drive with debian. Unfortunately, I found that this link is no longer valid. Does anyone have this archive and would be so kind and publish it again?

I'm trying to resurrect my old Pogoplug V3 Classic with recipe from this thread.
March 10, 2016 07:50AM
you dont need that particular uboot. its not a must have

create your hdd as you would the usb drive and it should boot from it fine
March 10, 2016 02:13PM
azraleus Wrote:
> Some time ago @shv published
> http://pogoplug.cwsurf.de/ox820-sata-uboot.tar.gz
> which is needed (if I understand it correctly) to
> make bootable SATA drive with debian.
> Unfortunately, I found that this link is no longer
> valid. Does anyone have this archive and would be
> so kind and publish it again?
>
> I'm trying to resurrect my old Pogoplug V3 Classic
> with recipe from this thread.

What Gravelrash said. Basically there is no need to prepare the HDD in that special way to boot strictly from SATA. if you can get to the console (serial or netconsole or SSH) then just install new u-boot to NAND. So that's depending on the state of how bricked you Pogo is. If you describe more about it, I might be able to suggest what to do to resurrect it.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 11, 2016 11:37AM
I have tried what you said and it works! After a few days of fight :)

I had a new u-boot in NAND, and correct rootfs on HDD but I still had WarheadSE "magic bytes" in first sectors of disk and whenever I plug disk pogo runs with old u-boot and debian didn't started. I wiped out first sectors, created new partition and all went well.

BTW Thanks for keeping alive my pogo with debian.
Lithium
March 25, 2016 04:10PM
Hi guys,

I read a lot on this topic i wanted to start modify my old pogo pro classic to run Debian.
Unfortunately things went wrong, i know where they went wrong and i hope you guys can help me to fix it.
There is so many information on the internet that i don't know where to read and what to read, i lost the track.

I have found this blog: http://blog.qnology.com/2015/04/hacking-pogoplug-v3oxnas-proclassic.html?showComment=1458929513627#c6864318356048769563
I thought exactly what i needed but the download links are down....

I found this topic and i thought this is what i need so i bagin reading the how to and start executing things on the pogo ssh.

Where it went wrong is at step 6, i got an error but i forgot what error. I am sure that it gave an error. I think it had something to do with the addresses.

When i used: cat /proc/mtd i got this output:

mtd0: 08000000 00020000 "NAND 128MiB 3,3V 8-bit"
mtd1: 00e00000 00020000 "boot"
mtd2: 07200000 00020000 "rootfs"

I thought it would not be a problem.

The problem is, my pogo doesn't boot any more. I tried to connect a serial connection without success, dead...
I also read that you can boot it using the sata cable. The point is i do not know what i need to burn on the hdd to let it boot again and flash the nand back so it will boot without hdd.

Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Until so far i downloaded: oxnas-rootfs-2013-06.tar.gz and linux-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1.bodhi.tar.bz2
Currently running under windows 10. I can make a bootable ubuntu usb stick.
March 25, 2016 04:34PM
Lithium,

> Where it went wrong is at step 6, i got an error
> but i forgot what error. I am sure that it gave an
> error. I think it had something to do with the
> addresses.

You must have not followed the instruction closely :) At each step, if things don't show exactly as instruction describes, then you should ask question before proceeding.

Look at WarheadsSE instruction how to prepare the HDD to boot strictly from SATA port:
https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2146

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Lithium
March 25, 2016 05:22PM
Hi bodhi,

Thanks for your quick answer! I am not able to download the tarball on that page. I found that page earlier but i couldn't do anything with it because of the download failure.
Do you know where i can find that file or a replacement?

It was stupid of me to pull out the power, immediately plugged off the power i realised i screwed it up.

I am preparing a hdd to attach to it.

Thanks for helping me out.
March 25, 2016 06:19PM
Lithium,

I've lost track of the tarballs for SATA booting. There were a few of them floating around. Let me make a separate topic and ask our forum memebers for it.

In the mean time, this long thread is where you might find it:
https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6193

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 06:22PM by bodhi.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.