Advanced

dmesg bad block detected

Posted by metric 
dmesg bad block detected
August 09, 2014 12:11PM
While looking at dmesg saw this.....

[    6.756660] Scanning device for bad blocks
[    6.820850] Bad eraseblock 808 at 0x000006500000

The device seems to be running debian fine as of now. Should I be worried? I already have Jeff's uboot and rescue installed.

BTW How do I check the version of u-boot and rescue boot installed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2014 12:17PM by metric.
Re: dmesg bad block detected
August 09, 2014 04:33PM
Hi metric,

This location is in your data area in NAND (101M) which is the 4th partition. It's not used by anything when you run USB or SATA rootfs. So don't worry about it, it's normal. Unless you see a lot of blocks starting to go bad then it's cause for concern. To verify in Debian, look at these addresses and convert it to decimal:
cat /proc/mdt

To see u-boot version and rescue version, set up netconsole if you don't have serial console. Boot up and watch U-Boot output.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2014 04:34PM by bodhi.
August 10, 2014 12:16PM
Thanks bodhi,

The device is in a hard to reach place, connected via wi-fi playing music on gmrenderer-resurrect and MPD. So I cannot do netconsole. (Will it work with wifi?) If this is not a concern, I will leave it as is. I will continue to check if bad blocks increase. BTW I regularly update and run the stock wheezy. (Linux 3.2.0-4-kirkwood #1 Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u3 armv5tel GNU/Linux)
August 10, 2014 05:37PM
metric,

Yes, netconsole works with wire or wifi. And for a quick peek to see U-Boot version:

grep -a --null-data U-Boot /dev/mtd0ro

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.