Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug v2 doesn't show up on LAN after Archlinux install

Posted by Waynosan 
The second set of the above dumps being through modprobe mtdblock;hexdump -C /dev/mtdblock1;hexdump -C /dev/mtdblock3.
Re: Pogoplug v2 doesn't show up on LAN after Archlinux install
March 20, 2015 04:11PM
@grayman4hire,

> Their uBoot is for ALARM and it works fine for
> that. Yes, I agree, it should support Debian by
> default, but maybe they want people using ALARM
> and not Debian :)

Right :)) But you can modify their u-boot envs to boot Debian, too. It was just not set up that way afer installation.

> Regarding how the archlinuxarm uboot handles the
> NAND partition, I'm not sure if you're aware, but
> all the original data is left intact.

Yes, the installer did not touch any other part of NAND.

@TEN,

If you did not mount mtd1,2,3 RW ever then they are still in the original conition. So if you have another stockPogo E02 then just dump them without OOB, and then restore them on whichever Pogo E02 you need. It is simple, as you apparently knew how to do that already.

@all,
I guess now it became an issue about restoring Pogo E02 to stock. So I'll see if I can find my stock mtds. Or if anybody would volunteer to dump them and post here it would be great.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 20, 2015 04:20PM

On your uBoot's netconsole, entering things such as
nand0,1
setenv mtdparts ...
setenv devices ...
will be passed on to the system booted from there but NOT persist through a reboot in the environment unless I do an explicit saveenv (i.e. Debian, Arch or Stock won't invoke that on their own at shutdown?) - so can be tried without a risk of bricking (as nothing gets written to 0xC0000 from there)?

u-boot envs will not persist without either:

- saevenv in serial/net console. This is not as preferred as the fw_setenv command.
or
- fw_setenv in Linux shell. This is the prefered method, as it'd allow us to copy/paste what were done inside u-boot console with setenv, in order to avoid typos. And you can only do this after successfully booted into Linux.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 20, 2015 09:29PM
TEN,

Are there any other questions unanswered?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi
Are there any other questions unanswered?
Thank you very much again for your stellar support!

What more there had been to figure out has hopefully been solved & summed up in http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8383&p=46069#p46069 - with the fallback to regular NAND Stock yet to be tested (further fallback into Rescue Arch already usable just as automagically from within bodhi uBoot), and support for all your latest flavours of Debian itself to be added to the proposed uBoot cascade.

That should hopefully lay to rest preferences for less advanced (and on E02 at least, possibly more brick-prone) uBoots than yours, as well as much of the unnecessary "power struggle" over (and danger to) NAND layouts & contents at 0x100000+.

Hope you like the progress made in these few days thanks to your invaluable contributions, as well as owing to grayman4hire's including http://blog.qnology.com/2013/03/tutorial-pogoplug-e02-with-arch-linux.html and moonman's bases provided at http://archlinuxarm.org - many thanks to everyone involved!

I shall try to further refine things and backup stock NAND as soon as I get my hands on another Pogoplug E02 that will be used for your FDT Debian jessie keeping Stock Pogo OS (minus hbwd) as a fallback.
March 21, 2015 03:22PM
TEN,

That was a job very well done! If you'd like, please post your procedure here in the U-Boot section when you're done with the details. I think it is great to have a manual procedure like that for others who need to do the same thing.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 31, 2015 02:56AM
@TEN,

> Pogoplug E02 that will be used for your FDT Debian
> jessie keeping Stock Pogo OS (minus hbwd) as a
> fallback.

See this for the current status of Pogo E02 u-boot:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381,20793#msg-20793

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Hello Friends,

I am having the same issues as explained in the mail thread. "Pogoplug series 4 doesn't show up on LAN after Archlinux install "...

With USB drive (Arch Linux - ROOTFS) in the pogoplug the front LED started blinking green , then orange and the stable green but still no network activity. I tried many options but no luck...Please suggest some ideas to get out of it without serial connection.

Hope some issue with systemd. But don't know how to resolve.

i tried following things:

1. Tried a fresh formatting of rootfs and recreated it - no luck
2. Tried a different USB (Sandisk) with fresh rootfs install and formatting - no luck
3. Tried enabling boot log - no luck not able to enable
4. Tried to create a FAT32 format disk with "revert" folder to revert to original Pogoplug version - no luck

So friends please let me know how to come out of this issues. So now i don't want to have Arch Linux. I wanted to get back to my original Pogoplug OS.. Please advice...

Rajesh
July 13, 2015 01:06AM
Rajesh,

Without serial console, your best bet is to create a new Debian rootfs. See this kernel/rootfs thread:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

Scroll down to the section:

Updated 02 Sept 2014:

Rootfs Debian-3.16.0-kirkwood-tld-2 was uploaded. This rootfs is to keep in sync with kernel Linux-3.16.0-kirkwood-tld-2 (and its new features).

Follow the instruction in this section closely and create a rootfs on a USB stick.

Basically, on another Linux box, as root user (sudo won't work), create a single Ext3 partition on the USB stick. Untar the Debian 3.16 rootfs to it. And boot the Pogo V4 with it. Once you can boot with Debian, it is quite easy to decide what to do next.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Thanks bodhi,

It is great to see my Pogoplug back on network after following your suggestion. Now i am running with Debian..

Can you please help me now how to go back to my original Pogoplug OS.

Thanks for you support..

Rajesh
July 13, 2015 02:09AM
Rajesh,

> It is great to see my Pogoplug back on network
> after following your suggestion. Now i am running
> with Debian..

Cool!

>
> Can you please help me now how to go back to my
> original Pogoplug OS.

Before you decide to go back to original Pogo OS, be aware that CloudEngines has discontinued the free subscription. You would need to pay a fee to use their service.

I've uploaded my own Pogo V4 MTD partitions for people who want to go back to stock. The instruction is laid out clearly the steps, but there are risks in messing with NAND. So pls proceed at your own risk :) There is a rescue path should any thing goes wrong (but need serial console to do it).

See this thread:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16789,16789#msg-16789

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.