Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OpenWRT for PogoPlug Pro rootfs tar

Posted by habibie 
Re: OpenWRT for PogoPlug Pro rootfs tar
May 09, 2015 06:17AM
@grayman4hire and/or LeggoMyEggo: I have uploaded my uEnv.txt,
openwrt-oxnas-uImage-initramfs, and openwrt-oxnas-pogoplug-pro-rootfs.tar.gz (this includes all the kernel in /boot directory as listed below with the exception of both uEnv.txt and openwrt-oxnas-uImage-initramfs files). If you can give it a try with on your PogoPlug Pro, I certainly will appreciate that. Once it boots, please kindly post the root directory listing and the output of df.
[root@debian:/opt/google/src/debian 480%] # dir /media/rootfs/boot/
total 20313
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root     6993 May  6 23:03 openwrt-oxnas-pogoplug-pro.dtb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root  1736788 May  9 00:15 openwrt-oxnas-pogoplug-pro-fit-uImage.itb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root  1728512 May  9 00:15 openwrt-oxnas-uImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root 15510256 May  9 00:15 openwrt-oxnas-uImage-initramfs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root   root  1728448 May  9 00:13 openwrt-oxnas-zImage
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root       30 May  9 00:15 pogoplug-pro.dtb -> openwrt-oxnas-pogoplug-pro.dtb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root      728 May  9 00:25 uEnv.txt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root       20 May  9 00:15 uImage -> openwrt-oxnas-uImage
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root       41 May  9 00:15 uImage.itb -> openwrt-oxnas-pogoplug-pro-fit-uImage.itb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root       20 May  9 00:15 zImage -> openwrt-oxnas-zImage
[root@debian:/opt/google/src/debian 481%] #
May 09, 2015 06:29AM
habibie,

Looked like it did boot into Linux. But which rootfs is the question. What is the output of

uname -a
cat /proc/mounts
lsblk -a

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 09, 2015 07:30AM
Hello Bodhi,

Here is the information you requested. It looks like there isn'tany lsblk program.
/ # uname -a                                                                                                                        
Linux PogoplugPro 3.18.11 #2 SMP Sat May 9 00:13:40 EDT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux                                                       
/ # cat /proc/mounts                                                                                                                
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0                                                                                                              
ubi0:rootfs / ubifs rw,relatime 0 0                                                                                                 
none /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0                                                                                                     
none /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0                                                                                                     
none /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0                                                                          
none /tmp tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0                                                                                                     
/ # lsblk -a                                                                                                                        
-/bin/sh: lsblk: not found                                                                                                          
/ #
May 09, 2015 09:33AM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @grayman4hire and/or LeggoMyEggo: I have uploaded

FYI, Chrome flagged the download site as a phishing attack.

Maybe find another file hosting site @habibie?
May 09, 2015 09:35AM
LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
> habibie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > @grayman4hire and/or LeggoMyEggo: I have
> uploaded
>
> FYI, Chrome flagged the download site as a
> phishing attack.
>
> Maybe find another file hosting site @habibie?
>
LOL ..., I never have encountered this issue with my Google Chrome web browser, yet. BTW, can you recommend a FREE hosting site I can upload? OTOH, if you have a temporary e-mail, I sure can attach the firmware to you. With a .gz, it is about 25 MB in size. I can use XZ to compress it further if needed. FYI, I used SpamGourmet as my temporarily proxy e-mail and it is free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2015 09:39AM by habibie.
May 09, 2015 10:16AM
I have to admit not liking a few of the free hosting sites. You never know which button to push to actually download the file. And if you click the wrong button, you end up with popups or start downloading something you didn't want.

I would try Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox (like bodhi uses). You can share a file via a link. Shouldn't cost you any money.
May 09, 2015 01:39PM
I tried Google Drive and it is not in English. :(
May 09, 2015 09:26PM
@habibie,

In my honest opinion, I think you're making things way harder than it needs to be. Here is my recommendation.

1) Start from scratch by reloading the default uboot env. This provides us a good known starting point.
2) If needed. create a new USB drive with Debian and verify that you're able to boot Debian.
3) Follow my OpenWRT tutorial as is and verify that you're able to boot OpenWRT (snapshot image) from NAND
4) Boot Debian and follow my OpenWRT tutorial, but instead of using the snapshot image, use your custom build image
5) If you still want to boot OpenWRT from a USB drive, you now know that your custom build image works properly. You'll just need to figure out the proper uboot env settings to use.
6) Skip the idea of using test partitions to test your custom OpenWRT builds. It's simpler to use a different USB flash drive.

Work systematically through the above steps.

-grayman4hire
======================================
Pogoplug V2 and V3 Serial Connection
Tutorial - Pogoplug v4 (Series 4 and Mobile) with Linux (Debian or Arch)

OpenWRT on Pogoplug Mobile
Tutorial - Pogoplug E02/V4 with Arch Linux ARM
Hacking the Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic) with Debian

OpenWRT on Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic)
May 09, 2015 09:55PM
grayman4hire Wrote:
> @habibie,
>
> In my honest opinion, I think you're making things
> way harder than it needs to be. Here is my
> recommendation.

Having tried the same thing myself, like g4h says, start over and follow the tutorial. Once you have a stable installation of OpenWRT (in NAND) get familiar with how that OS works because in my experience it is nothing like Debian. It may take months of experimentation to master what you are trying to do. I'm not saying you couldn't do it in a shorter timeframe but boy that's tough to get working on a platform that doesn't exactly have a lot of support for it in the OpenWRT world.
May 10, 2015 07:33AM
@grayman4hire, LeggoMyEggo

I believe you both have missed my post which clearly indicates my PogoPlug Pro 02 has no problem to run/boot debian after I upgraded its uboot with Bodhi's uboot.2013.10-tld-4.ox820 (now uboot.2013.10-tld-5.ox820). The fact is the /dev/mtd1 partition on my PogoPlug Pro 02 is still intact with its original firmware. For some unknown reasons, it gets loaded when booting an OpenWRT firmware from either self-built and/or snapshot (prepared based on grayman4hire's tutorial from OpenWRT on Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic)). If my configuration is incorrect, why debian can completely boot off of a USB storage while OpenWRT can't? That said, I wonder if this problem will also happen on both your PogoPlug Pro devices. In other words, if the /dev/mtd1 partition on your PogoPlug Pro device already has an OpenWRT firmware and has no problem to boot OpenWRT from a USB storage, what makes you think the rootfs isn't booted from the USB storage but rather from the /dev/mtd1 partition when you have a USB storage installed with the same OpenWRT firmware in one of its USB ports? That's why I asked if either and/or both of you can please try my firmware on a USB storage to see if your PogoPlug Pro device can completely boot off of your USB storage.
May 12, 2015 03:45PM
habibie,

If you are still having problem, you could pastebin your .config file. Perhaps I will spot something you've missed in there.

And also the latest u-boot envs.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 03:47PM by bodhi.
May 12, 2015 04:35PM
habibie Wrote:
> That's why I
> asked if either and/or both of you can please try
> my firmware on a USB storage to see if your
> PogoPlug Pro device can completely boot off of
> your USB storage.

I tried that a few weeks ago and I didn't get it to work. I realize you have updated things. I just gave up on it OpenWRT because even after I got OpenWRT to boot from NAND following g4h's instructions, I couldn't figure out how to get wireless working in AP mode either with my mPCIe Atheros card OR even with a Edimax EW-7811UN (rtl8192cu driver) which is like the most generic of USB wifi adapters you can find. So I more or less figured what was the point, I might as well stick with hostapd, samba and Webmin which actually work pretty well as a combo. I wanted to use OpenWRT to set up a seemless solid access point with file serving capabilities. Unfortunately I couldn't figure it out and am not willing to invest any more time into it. I do truly hope you succeed though as the Pro would be a great platform for OpenWRT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 04:36PM by LeggoMyEggo.
May 12, 2015 06:00PM
TBH, I would prefer Emdebbian over OpenWrt if I want to run from NAND only. To bad that they have discontinued development of Emdebian distro.

The last time I tried building OpenWrt as an experiment, I was not too impressed with the code quality and the build process (nothing wrong, just rough edges). It is indeed a wealth of info for embedded Linux and great for small devices ("smaller" than a typical pogoplug, in a specs sense) without peripheral storage attached. OTOH, with the pogoplugs, there is really no need to run OpenWrt unless we want to keep everything in NAND (since the rootfs can be on a USB port). Note that we can always rely on OpenWrt code base get the patches that we don't have and use them in Debian for these pogoplugs.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 19, 2015 02:23PM
Another big thanks to you two though, for the idea - openWRT is a seriously cool project for the Pogoplug. I'll leave my one installation for a while, though DavyGravy's Mac/AFPD or Windows/SMB + Print services in a flash/NAND image project is tugging at my sleeve concerning the other PogoPro.

There's things to love and loathe about OpenWRT and truth be told I haven't given up on it. Some of these things eventually beg a Linux app to host them as demos. No I don't want to create any more work for the busy bees, but wouldn't it? Like an app called PogoWINE where you could load OpenWRT and use it as a demo before committing it to NAND.

Maybe that's why OpenWRT pushes alcohol recipies, to quell brainstormers like me from ideas like that lol

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.