Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pink Pogoplug will not boot unless I listen with NC [SOLVED]

Posted by Berklee 
Pink Pogoplug will not boot unless I listen with NC [SOLVED]
November 15, 2010 04:07AM
Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks Jeff for all your hard work!

I bought the Pogoplug for hacking, so I didn't even wait until I had unpacked it to reflash it with Jeff's uBoot. I followed the tutorial on Plugapps.com and now have the following situation:

1. If I boot the Pogoplug without a USB drive attached, it boots into the old Pogoplug distribution fine.
2. If I boot the Pogoplug with a USB drive containing a kernel image attached it will simply hang in uBoot until I connect with nc to it from my computer. Then it will not reliably boot into Linux on the USB drive.
3. If I boot the Pogoplug with a USB drive containing a kernel image attached, but run nc on my computer first, it will boot into Linux on the USB drive reliably.

This behaviour started when I added your start_netconsole mods to uBoot's environment, with one small change: I don't bother pinging my computer and simply 'run start_netconsole' in the preboot.

If I remove the start_netconsole from preboot, it will not boot into the Linux on the USB drive, nor will it boot to the normal Pogoplug Linux, it will just hang with the orange led on, accessing the USB drive as if it's booting and remaining unavailable on the network.

I've tried removing the preboot start_netconsole, and simply setting the stdin, stdout, stderr to nc, but that just lost me nc access.

My question is: what can I do to have it boot without my interaction?

Thanks!

Update:

Turns out that when I activated start_netconsole in uboot, it wouldn't boot unless I interacted with it. If I use the plain method without nc, it will successfully boot, but I couldn't reach the Pogoplug because DHCP didn't work correctly. So I edited rc.conf and resolv.conf on the drive using my computer and that solved it. It now boots perfectly!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 06:45AM by Berklee.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.