Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what is 'boota' in uboot env?

Posted by kwagjj 
what is 'boota' in uboot env?
March 31, 2016 08:54PM
I'm looking at the envs in my uboot and here it is:

baudrate=115200                                                                 
bootargs=console=ttymxc0,115200 init=/init video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,M
bootcmd=boota mmc1                                                              
bootdelay=3                                                                     
ethact=FEC                                                                      
ethaddr=00:04:9f:03:ef:39                                                       
ethprime=FEC                                                                    
fastboot_dev=mmc1                                                               
fdt_high=0xffffffff                                                             
initrd_high=0xffffffff                                                          
loadaddr=0x12000000                                                             
splashpos=m,m

I don't understand what "bootcmd" values mean. Especially what is 'boota'? I've searched on google and it doesn't give me any meaningful results.

Another question that i have, is that once uboot executes bootcmd, does it automatically execute a kernel initiaing command with 'bootargs' by itself?
Re: what is 'boota' in uboot env?
April 01, 2016 05:01AM
kwagjj,

> I don't understand what "bootcmd" values mean.
> Especially what is 'boota'? I've searched on
> google and it doesn't give me any meaningful
> results.

bootcmd is what the boot command will execute. To start u-boot execution, you run
boot
And if you don't interrupt u-boot it will automatically execute boot.

There is no such command as boota in mainline u-boot. So the fact that it is in bootcmd indicating that boota is a new command defined by the author of this u-boot image. It probably replaces bootm, bootz, ... which are the normal types of boot command.

>
> Another question that i have, is that once uboot
> executes bootcmd, does it automatically execute a
> kernel initiaing command with 'bootargs' by
> itself?

Usually, that's not the whole story. The kernel image has to be loaded into memory before the boot command can boot it. bootargs is what will be passed into the kernel command line (therefore it contains whatever arguments that the kernel can understands, e.g. root device, root delay,...)

What device do you have?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 05:02AM by bodhi.
April 01, 2016 12:36PM
write "help" in the u-boot console and see if there is some explanation about it.

If that is your whole envs, it is probably a binary that loads stuff as defined in the other envs with addresses and/or with hardcoded addresses.

To boot it needs 2 addresses, the flash address (where is kernel in flash memory) and the ram address (where the kernel is loaded before being executed).

It's weird as fdt and initrd envs are zeroed.
Moreshwar
October 10, 2018 06:05AM
boota is boot android, I guess your uboot allows booting android. and bootcmd means uboot will boot into android
bobafetthotmail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> write "help" in the u-boot console and see if
> there is some explanation about it.
>
> If that is your whole envs, it is probably a
> binary that loads stuff as defined in the other
> envs with addresses and/or with hardcoded
> addresses.
>
> To boot it needs 2 addresses, the flash address
> (where is kernel in flash memory) and the ram
> address (where the kernel is loaded before being
> executed).
>
> It's weird as fdt and initrd envs are zeroed.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.