SATA booting on Kirkwood boxes?
May 29, 2016 06:15AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is WarheadsSE's instruction (the original)
> (using Arch):
> https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&;
> t=2146&sid=f4dc4863e3a93822a4f9e925b3cbda45
>

I quickly browsed through some few posts on the 1st page of the above discussion thread and noticed WarHeadsSE mentioned in this post that the SoC on a PogoPlug V3 has a tiny ROM to read data from SATA, SPI, then NAND, respectively, and to boot without touching the NAND storage. I know I should asked WarHeadsSE but wonder if you and/or anyone here knows a Seagate GoFLEX Home/Net device has a built-in of such an SoC to perform the same thing to allow booting off of an external SATA storage through its original/stock uboot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 03:31PM by bodhi.
Re: Pogoplug PRO Bootloader no start with flash disk
May 29, 2016 03:34PM
habibie,

Yes it does. The Kirkwood SoC 6281 can boot SATA theorically. But GF Home/Net also has UART booting. So SATA is not considered necessary for recovery purpose.

For 6281 devices that don't have UART booting, such as Dockstar or Pogo E02, they don't have SATA but they do have JTAG. So SATA booting was never a subject that worth looking into for those.

SATA booting requires a magic number sequence being stored in one of the first sectors of the disk (raw). WarheadsSE has NDA with OXNAS so he knows a lot more than most of us about the OXNAS SoC (except for kref/navyman, he might have had OXNAS NDA too).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 30, 2016 03:36PM
habibie
Here is the idea why. With a Seagate GoFlex Home/NET still configured to use its original/stock uboot+firmware, I want it to be able to boot off other OS, i.e. LEDE, OpenWRT, etc., when a SATA HDD (installed with either OSes) is inserted. This way, I don't have to replace its original/stock uboot.

You can do all that even with stock u-boot, as long as you keep the HDD formatted as Ext3.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 31, 2016 02:35AM
bodhi Wrote:
>
habibie
> Here is the idea why. With a Seagate GoFlex
> Home/NET still configured to use its
> original/stock uboot+firmware, I want it to be
> able to boot off other OS, i.e. LEDE, OpenWRT,
> etc., when a SATA HDD (installed with either OSes)
> is inserted. This way, I don't have to replace its
> original/stock uboot.
>
>
> You can do all that even with stock u-boot, as
> long as you keep the HDD formatted as Ext3.

That is what I plan to do. However, I will need to know what is the default kernel Image name to put in /boot for a Seagate GoFLEX Home/Net stock uboot to grab.
May 31, 2016 03:28AM
> know what is the default kernel Image name to put
> in /boot for a Seagate GoFLEX Home/Net stock uboot
> to grab.

The default name is whatever you want it to be. u-boot envs determine that, not stock u-boot.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 31, 2016 09:23AM
bodhi Wrote:
> > know what is the default kernel Image name to
> put
> > in /boot for a Seagate GoFLEX Home/Net stock
> uboot
> > to grab.
>
> The default name is whatever you want it to be.
> u-boot envs determine that, not stock u-boot.

Cool. I will try that sometimes later.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.