Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to backup/restore your NAND patitions and full device

Posted by ElMariachi 
Re: how to backup/restore your NAND patitions and full device
August 30, 2016 03:16PM
here is result
Attachments:
open | download - cat _etc_fstab.odt (12.6 KB)
August 30, 2016 04:15PM
Chuck99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> running sudo gtkterm with Ubuntu trying to cp -a
> uImage.orig uImage and cp -a
> zImage-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1 zImage.fdt it says
> "read-only file system". tried chown and chmod.
> what now?

Boot into Debian on the Pogo V4, and do this in the live system.

What you did was on Ubuntu itself, so the system prevented you to mess up its own kernel files. If you want to do this on Ubuntu, then the USB drive is mounted at some place else, such as /media/sda1, /media/sdb1, ....

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
August 30, 2016 05:24PM
No, if you look at top of attachment you will see I was logged into root@debian:/boot#. I was going to say that may be the case sometimes. It is confusing. If you would tell me in your replies it would help. I am slowly learning.
Which uboot should I use to replace one in Pogoplug? Do I have to compile one first?
August 30, 2016 06:20PM
Ah. I see.

1. Here is the reason you can't write to the rootfs: the rootfs was mounted as RO:

root@debian:/boot# mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=14202,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=24188k,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on / type ext2 ro,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl)

This was because of the internal default envs in the Pogo V4 u-boot image did not specify the rootfstype as ext3, it was coded as ext2. There is a historical reason why. You did not do anything wrong on your part. Since we are still using the kwboot booting method here, this env needs to be adjusted so that the system will use Ext3:

To correct this: kwboot as before, but before booting into Debian, interrupt and set this env at the console prompt, and then boot:
setenv set_bootargs_usb 'setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$rootdelay rootfstype=ext3  $mtdparts'
boot

After you've booted into Debian, the mount command should show the rootfs was mounted as ext3, rw.
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl)

2. Regarding u-boot installation:

Look in the u-boot installation thread:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

This is the u-boot image that you need

uboot.2016.05-tld-1.pogo_v4.bodhi.tar
md5:
0a16cbc707312d03b07094e4884be48b
sha256:
bb3b36527fdd76f3ddc130954d5aa47f53dc2f1b387ed623ddd15e33b0ef4c25

Post if you have questions about any part of the instruction,

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 30, 2016 09:36PM
Sounds good, thank you!
August 31, 2016 01:33PM
Did kwboot as usual. Stop at PPV4> prompt. Did copy paste this: setenv set_bootargs_usb 'setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$rootdelay rootfstype=ext3 $mtdparts'
boot

no errors. also did a saveenv. Since uboot was running in RAM I suppose that did not make any difference?? Is that a bad idea?
Anyway sda1 is still read only.
August 31, 2016 03:45PM
Chuck99 Wrote:
> Did kwboot as usual. Stop at PPV4> prompt. Did
> copy paste this: setenv set_bootargs_usb 'setenv
> bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root
> rootdelay=$rootdelay rootfstype=ext3 $mtdparts'
> boot
>
> no errors. also did a saveenv. Since uboot was
> running in RAM I suppose that did not make any
> difference?? Is that a bad idea?

Usually it's a bad idea! you have not installed new uboot, and saveenv has written the new set of envs to a location in NAND! but it's ok in this case it wont hurt the installation.

> Anyway sda1 is still read only.

kwboot again, interrupt serial console and get the listting of envs

printenv

pls post the entire serial console log here.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 01, 2016 12:39AM
Having trouble with USB to Serial converter. It has been flakey. Caused non boot of kwboot sometimes. I am going to work on hardware awhile. Thanks for help. I will let you know. Chuck
September 01, 2016 12:52PM
I got kwboot going again. I am going to install stereo phone jack on side. Stop wiggling wires and breaking them. have current dmesg attached. I believe printenv is good too. I need to set MAC address and cesvcid too. Any way to skip doing kwboot to get debian running would be nice as a temporary measure. Is there a remount command in debian? Thanks, Chuck99
Attachments:
open | download - V4-A1_Debian_Dmesg.odt (25.2 KB)
open | download - V4-A1_ca83_printenv.odt (16.1 KB)
September 01, 2016 02:17PM
Was rootfs still mounted as RO? if it was, shutdown and bring this USB drive to your Ubuntu and check for error (if it was assigned sdb1)

umount /media/sdb1
e2fsck /dev/sdb1

Also, pls attach serial console log while Linux is booting (entire serial console log is better). dmesg only shows the kernel messages, not everything. IOW, hacking Linux, there are things you can only see in serial console.

You can now proceed to install u-boot if you feel like doing. But if the rootfs is RO then you need to copy u-boot image and uboot env image to the USB drive first, offline.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 02, 2016 06:46PM
Here is the printenv file. what uboot can I use to get rid of the kwboot startup as a temp measure.
Attachments:
open | download - V4-A1_00:25:31:05:CA:83.odt (17.9 KB)
September 03, 2016 12:55AM
bodhi Wrote:

> You can now proceed to install u-boot if you feel
> like doing. But if the rootfs is RO then you need
> to copy u-boot image and uboot env image to the
> USB drive first, offline.

Chuck, install new u-boot for real. No need for any temporary measure.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 04, 2016 11:36AM
I'm afraid you are talking over my level. The uImage and env are from the result of the compile. Where do you copy it to on the USB stick? I'm thought I had to compile the uImage on the Pogoplug.

The Pogoplug I thought was bricked is ok with kwboot again but has bad block at address 0000000 in nand. Any way to fix bbt? I can not nandwrite over it.

I started over on Debian USB stick. Now it is r/w. attched is console log. I reviewed the linux proc. and I don't understand it. I assume it has to run inside Pogoplug. I will try again.

Ubuntu is a pain. I guess for free you get what you pay for. What do you use?

Can I make a backup copy of the USB stick now? I don't want to start over again. I have finished note1 and don't want to screw it up. Note2 is next.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2016 04:04PM by Chuck99.
Attachments:
open | download - Console Log Debian V4-A1 mac CA83.odt (23.5 KB)
September 04, 2016 04:31PM
Chuck,

> I'm afraid you are talking over my level. The
> uImage and env are from the result of the compile.
> Where do you copy it to on the USB stick? I'm
> thought I had to compile the uImage on the
> Pogoplug.

You don't need to compile anything. The rootfs 4.4 that you have created is a complete, basic Debian Linux system. The rootfs already contain these kernel files. Just like you have installed Ubuntu on USB. The important thing is to install new u-boot after you can boot into Debian, and you have booted into Debian.

And ignore Note2, it is not needed at all. Once you have a system running, then come back to this topic in Note2.

>
> The Pogoplug I thought was bricked is ok with
> kwboot again but has bad block at address 0000000
> in nand. Any way to fix bbt? I can not nandwrite
> over it.

This might be OK. Again, this is why I always recommended flashing u-boot inside Linux. The Linux mtd-utils is very robust and will handle bad blocks easily. Use kwboot to boot this box into Debian, and list the bad blocks
cat /proc/mtd
dmesg | grep -i bad

If there is no other bad blocks, you can install u-boot. But do capture the entire serial console log and post here. So I can verify that u-boot was installed successfully. Along the way, if you like stop at each step and ask question if you see some error (I'm sure you will because of the bad block at 0x0000).

>
> I started over on Debian USB stick. Now it is r/w.
> attched is console log.
> I reviewed the linux proc.
> and I don't understand it.

Ignore it. It is an advance topic. When you do a mount, you should see the disks that were mounted (i.e. sdxx, sdxx, mmc,...), where they were mounted. In your case sda1 is mounted at / (rootfs).

> Ubuntu is a pain. I guess for free you get what
> you pay for. What do you use?

Linux Mint. It's a Ubuntu-based distro.

>
> Can I make a backup copy of the USB stick now? I
> don't want to start over again. I have finished
> note1 and don't want to screw it up. Note2 is
> next.

Yes back up now is a must.

You will need to back up rootfs again, once you installed u-boot and boot into Debian correctly. Right now there is still some adjustment needed, but I don't want to burden you with more things to do until after u-boot is installed.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 05, 2016 01:54AM
Please point me to the correct Uboot procedure. I don't want to mess this up. I did backup the Debian to Ubuntu with Disk create image and restored to another USB stick. Worked fine with kwboot. Debian now works pretty good with all the up grades and up dates. Eventually I want to install Samba for a NAS. I now have a mobile and a V4-A3 running Debian. Just need to get them to boot without kwboot.
September 05, 2016 02:51AM
Look at this thread:

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

Starting from here:

6. Erase mtd0
flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0 4
Expected output:
Erase Total 4 Units
Performing Flash Erase of length 131072 at offset 0x60000 done

7. Write image to NAND

Among the nandwrite commands below, be extra careful and execute only one nandwrite command corresponding to your platform that you are installing to, using the kwb file that you have extracted in step 5. Please double check to make sure the file is for the correct platform. Especially the similar sounding names (e.g. nsa310s and nsa310 are different u-boots).

nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.dockstar.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.goflexhome.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.goflexnet.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.iconnect.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.netgear_ms2110.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.pogo_e02.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.pogo_v4.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.sheevaplug.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.nsa320.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.nsa325.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.nsa310s.mtd0.kwb
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.nsa310.mtd0.kwb

Expected output:
Writing data to block 0 at offset 0x0
Writing data to block 1 at offset 0x20000
Writing data to block 2 at offset 0x40000
Writing data to block 3 at offset 0x60000

8. Flashing default u-boot envs image:

As described in step 1, u-boot envs must be defined in etc/fw_env.config as

# MTD device name Device offset Env. size Flash sector size Number of sectors
/dev/mtd0 0xc0000 0x20000 0x20000

A special section (B. Flashing default u-boot envs image) about flashing default u-boot envs is included at the end of this installation procedure. Please follow the instruction in this section B to perform this step before continuing with step 9.

9. For sanity check, print out uBoot envs to see if they look OK.
fw_printenv
and then double check the ethaddr env again to be sure. Don't reboot if there is error while listing U-Boot envs.

10. Set up netconsole. It's important to set up neconsole if you don't already have serial console connected. If you've flashed the default environments in step 8 then activate netconsole with the following envs:

fw_setenv preboot_nc 'setenv nc_ready 0; for pingstat in 1 2 3 4 5; do; sleep 1; if run if_netconsole; then setenv nc_ready 1; fi; done; if test $nc_ready -eq 1; then run start_netconsole; fi'
fw_setenv preboot 'run preboot_nc'
fw_setenv ipaddr '192.168.0.xxx'
fw_setenv serverip '192.168.0.yyy'

where the 192.168.0.xxx is this plug IP address, and 192.168.0.yyy is the IP address of the netconsole server where it will monitor the output from the this plug (adjust them to the real values in your own local network settings).

11. Reboot. Upon reboot, in either serial console or netconsole, uBoot banner should show:

U-Boot 2016.05-tld-1 (Jun 12 2016 ….)
<your box name>

B. Flashing default u-boot envs image

This default envs image supports booting with multiple disk drives (and hubs) attached. The disk drives could be any type (usb, sata, sd card). The scanning logic and default envs were set to automatically boot the box with the following required configuration:

For whatever reason, if you can't set up your configuration to satisfy the following 4 requirements, then don't flash this defaut envs image. It might not boot properly. In this case, section C below can be used to tailor the envs to your specific configuration.

r1. There must be only one partition among all partitions from all drives that contains the kernel files. The 2 kernel files are /boot/uImage and /boot/uInitrd.
r2. The partition that contains the 2 kernel files must be partition 1 in a disk drive
r3. The partition that contains the rootfs must be labeled rootfs
r4. The rootfs partition is recommended to be type Ext3 (this is not a hard requirement, ext4 should boot OK, but Ext3 will ensure no problem).

So the bottom line is if you have only one rootfs in a single Ext3 partition, which is labeled as rootfs, then you're all set.

a. Download the default u-boot envs at Dropbox:

uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.bodhi.tar
md5:
3823eef10011b864859d31a76470e0e3
sha256:
c8db95a4225e8d78bdaaaa372bd5a87e4b98f3448dd9c62fc96c72b2df1a997c

This tarball includes 3 files:

uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.img (the default envs image to be flashed)
uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment (the content of the default envs in text format)
uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.64K.img (small envs image to be flashed on HP T5325 only).

b. Extract the archive to /tmp
cd /tmp
tar -xf uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.bodhi.tar

c. Save current envs with fw_printenv, or just copy/paste the listing into a text file.
fw_printenv > current_envs.txt

d. Flash u-boot envs to NAND location 0xC0000.

Be extra careful with the next 2 commands, you should see output that look like below. If there is error, then do not reboot, post your problem here so we can help.

/usr/sbin/flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0xc0000 1
Expected output:
Erase Total 1 Units
Performing Flash Erase of length 131072 at offset 0xc0000 done

/usr/sbin/nandwrite -s 786432 /dev/mtd0 uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.img
Expected output:
Writing data to block 6 at offset 0xc0000

e. Modify the following u-boot variables using fw_setenv:

Note that setting arcNumber and machid are not necessary if you are booting with FDT kernel 3.17+ in the latest kernel and rootfs thread. But it's required for non-FDT kernel.

Also note that only some boxes need machid, some don't (so the command fw_setenv machid below clears them).

for Pogo V4/Mobile:
fw_setenv arcNumber 3960
fw_setenv machid f78

for iConnect:
fw_setenv arcNumber 2870
fw_setenv machid

for Stora:
fw_setenv arcNumber 2743
fw_setenv machid

for Dockstar:
fw_setenv arcNumber 2998
fw_setenv machid

for Pogo E02:
fw_setenv arcNumber 3542
fw_setenv machid dd6

for GoFlex Home:
fw_setenv arcNumber 3338
fw_setenv machid

for GoFlex Net:
fw_setenv arcNumber 3089
fw_setenv machid

for Sheevaplug:
fw_setenv arcNumber 2097
fw_setenv machid

for NSA325:
fw_setenv arcNumber 4495
fw_setenv machid

for NSA320:
fw_setenv arcNumber 3956
fw_setenv machid

for NSA310S/320S:
fw_setenv arcNumber 4931
fw_setenv machid

for NSA310:
fw_setenv arcNumber 4022
fw_setenv machid

Then for all boxes, restore these 2 envs using the saved envs text in step c (replace xxx with the real saved values)
fw_setenv mtdparts 'xxxxxxxxx'
fw_setenv ethaddr 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'

Note: for boxes that boot with SATA as rootfs. Please make this adjustment if your boot drive is SATA:
fw_setenv bootcmd_uenv 'run uenv_load; if test $uenv_loaded -eq 1; then run uenv_import; fi; sleep 3'
(This will help the "ide reset" to work properly. There seems to be a bug in u-boot that if you do "ide reset" too quickly in succession, the SATA drive might have problem spinning up).

f. Adjust the DTB name to boot with a rootfs that has FDT kernel (this is the normal case):

Find your box DTB file in the rootfs /boot/dts directory and adjust the env to it. For example, if the box is the Dockstar
fw_setenv dtb_file '/boot/dts/kirkwood-dockstar.dtb'

In the special case when you are booting with a non-FDT kernel, or if you have appended the DTB to uImage. Remove the DTB file env. If not sure please post question before continuing.
fw_setenv dtb_file

h. List you envs again to make sure you've not missed any of the old envs that you might have adjusted to your box. Now is the time to restore those box- specific u-boot envs. Hint: if you changed u-boot envs while in Debian with fw_setenv, fw_printenv will list the modified envs at the end of the output.
fw_printenv

If there is error in listing u-boot envs, stop here and post your problem so we can help.

Remember to save away your old envs text file created in step c for future reference in case more need to be restored.

i. Done.

If this seems overwhelming, just compile the commands that you think is relevant to your box (Pogo V4), post them, and I'll look it over.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 05, 2016 02:17PM
I can get the nandwrite tools downloaded to Ubuntu but when I log into Debian and get past the certificate problem I end up with one file. 1RdYW8S. What is that? How do I get the tools to Debian Pogoplug?
September 05, 2016 04:00PM
Chuck,

The basic 4.4 rootfs already has these tools binaries, so you don't have to download it. Just need to make sure you have the u-boot image and u-boot envs image on the USB drive before you plug it in the Pogo and boot up.

In a running Debian system (or any Linux distro), to verify a command is available or not, use the which command.

which nandwrite
which flash_erase
which fw_setenv
which fw_printenv

Or use the autocomplete feature of the shell: start typing a few chars and use TAB to complete it. If you can complete a command this way, it means this command was installed.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 05, 2016 10:42PM
I have a question about mtd0-mtd4 sizes. In your download of pogo v4 originals why are mtd3 and mtd4 to large for the space allocated? I.e. Mtd3 is suppose to be starting at 0x800000 and is 0x800000 in size. The mtd3 file is 8.2 in size. Is not the entire file loaded into the nand? Do you know of any write up on the design of the Pogoplug v4? May be schematics. Thank you, Chuck
September 05, 2016 11:57PM
Chuck,

This was because the mtd was dumped with OOB. So there are more in it. And the instruction in that thread go in pair. Depending how you dumped the NAND, it has to written back that way:

# this has OOB written to the file, so it is greater than 2MB
nanddump -nf usb/mtd0 /dev/mtd0      

# this has OOB so it was written back to NAND differently   
nandwrite -on /dev/mtd0 mtd0

So that's why the instruction below is preferable if the NAND file is going to be written to a different box.
# this does not have  OOB written to the file, (it's 2MB for the Pogo V4 if you obmit the length -l)
nanddump --noecc --omitoob -l 0x80000 -f mtd0 /dev/mtd0             

# this did not mention OOB, because the default is no-OOB
nandwrite /dev/mtd0 mtd0

So the rule of thumb is: if NAND mtd was dumped without OOB then it is always the same size, otherwise it is slightly larger.

OOB stands for out-of-band area where the NAND system store information which is used to manage the flash chip. So simply put, it is similar to a file system storing file information header, not the actual content.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2016 03:43AM by bodhi.
September 06, 2016 02:08AM
Where do you find this in writing? The -on, the -nf. Documentation seems so hard to find. Just for fun I tried loading Archlinux using their web site. Cut & paste and double checked each line. Found a typo and fixed it. Install went perfect. Except for last part. Downloading and installing new Uboot. Went error free but had to use kwboot to bring it half way alive. Tried vinnymac.org also. Same result. Installs error free but uboot fails. Your site is much better. I have 6 Pogoplugs, Half V4-A1 & half V4-A3. I will keep trying. I may try Linux Mint 18. Not happy with Ubuntu. .
September 06, 2016 03:27AM
Chuck99 Wrote:
> Where do you find this in writing? The -on, the
> -nf. Documentation seems so hard to find.

Google it. There are many sites that describe what MTD is about. And Linux commands always have help features:

nandwrite --help
flash_erase --help

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 06, 2016 11:18PM
Is that where the bad bit table is kept for nand ? Seems bad bits are popping up on 2 plugs now. These chips don't appear to be very reliable. I wonder if the write timing is too fast for them?
September 07, 2016 12:08AM
Chuck99 Wrote:
> Is that where the bad bit table is kept for nand ?

Yes

> Seems bad bits are popping up on 2 plugs now.

This is very rare. Not very often that you see no bad block and all of a sudden you see them popping up. If you're see new bad blocks, it is bad news.

Do you have a dmesg log (bootlog) before with stock OS, and can compare it with the new bootlog so see they are actually new, or you just did not pay attention to them before?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 07, 2016 01:51AM
V4-A1 was after mtd0 nand erase and it had been used at least twice before. That was address 0x0. Now I get a report of one I the high end of the V4-A3 model. I don't have current log. It may not be a problem. I am going to get with the new Uboot now. Booting with kwboot is not hard to do but it will be nice when Debian loads directly. Thanks again.

I started the uboot procedure. Concerned about what I see. Attached is console log.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 11:41AM by Chuck99.
Attachments:
open | download - debian uboot.odt (26.3 KB)
September 07, 2016 02:05PM
how do you install the linux-tools from dropbox? 1RdYW8S. Or did I download it wrong?

install is going good on mobile device but V4-A3 has problems noted above.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 03:35PM by Chuck99.
September 08, 2016 02:29PM
Now to get my V4-A3 working. Mobile is booting without error and no use of kwboot. Thank you.

I would like to backup this USB hard drive. OK to plug into ubuntu and create a restore file?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 02:31PM by Chuck99.
Attachments:
open | download - debian finish log.odt (26 KB)
September 08, 2016 08:19PM
Yes. Use a backup program such as Windows Acronis. Or any Linux tool that create a disk image that is small enough to be restorable to a USB thumb drive or SD card.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 08, 2016 09:53PM
Is there a way to dump a directory tree so I can find where files are? How to download from Dropbox with Debian.
September 09, 2016 02:05AM
Chuck,

I guess you have never used link shortening before? When you use Ubuntu browser to click on the link, bitly.com redirects your request to a real Dropbox link. And you have no problem. When you wget (at command line) using that shorten link, wget stores the file using the shorten link name as the file name, even if it was redirect to the real file. So whatever you are downloading, just rename that shorten file name to that real name. But always check the hashes that I post here (md5 and sha256), to ensure you have download the correct file.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.