Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No access after flashing default env img

Posted by iamauser 
No access after flashing default env img
October 03, 2016 11:49AM
Hi,

I flashed default uboot environment image following instructions from here http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381. (B: flashing uboot env image).
Now, I can't access the pogo-E02. It blinks rapidly. Please help.

Thanks

* EDIT
Now it has a solid green, but still no access. Neither on netconsole or ssh (well ssh was never working on the first place to let me go and do this)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 12:10PM by iamauser.
Re: No access after flashing default env img
October 03, 2016 02:40PM
Ok. Here is how to recover.

1) Try booting with Debian rootfs 4.4. If it can not be booted, then try number 2.

2) Booting with uEnv.txt:

- Plug in your Debian (not Arch) USB rootfs to another Linux box. I am assuming that you have Ubuntu or another Linux Desktop/Laptop.

- Umount it and do a file system check (if it was mounted as /media/sdb1).

umount /media/sdb1
e2fsck /dev/sdb1

- Mount it and go to the boot folder

mount /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
cd /media/sdb1/boot

- Copy the env text file in the new u-boot tarball that you have downloaded

cp -a uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment uEnv.txt

- Sync the drive and unmount

sync
umount /media/sdb1

Take it to the Pogo E02. Plug it in. Power up, and observe the front LED behavior. Record it (and post it here in case it did not work). Wait about 2 minutes to ensure the system running. See If you can see it in the network and can SSH in. Or SSH in with its host name:

ssh root@debian.local

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
October 03, 2016 08:33PM
Hi Bodhi,

I will give these a try. I don't have a linux box at home, so I need to create VM on my MA and try on those.. I will reply back with findings when ready. THanks for help.
October 05, 2016 12:06AM
Hi Bodhi,

I installed Debian on the new USB. I could now see the host. I am using systemd to boot as I understand that I don't need uBoot at this point, is this correct ?

I will give the old USB a try with the same procedure. On the old USB, I have two partitions, one for the OS and other as data. Do you know if the same procedure will work, if I repartition the OS as a single ext3 and write the Debian installer and configs there and try to boot ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
October 05, 2016 02:32AM
iamauser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Bodhi,
>
> I installed Debian on the new USB. I could now see
> the host. I am using systemd to boot as I
> understand that I don't need uBoot at this point,
> is this correct ?

No, systemd has nothing to do with u-boot. systemd is a new init system (and more). u-boot boots the kernel and terminates itself doing that. sysvinit mounts the rootfs and does other init functions. systemd replaces sysvinit.

>
> I will give the old USB a try with the same
> procedure. On the old USB, I have two partitions,
> one for the OS and other as data. Do you know if
> the same procedure will work, if I repartition the
> OS as a single ext3 and write the Debian installer
> and configs there and try to boot ?

2 partitions would work if you make sure that:

1. The rootfs partition is partition 1. (use fdisk to see if this is true).
2. And the rootfs is labeled as rootfs.
3. And the data partition must have no kernel files on it, only data.

During installation, one Ext3 partition ensures booting successfully without complication. Once you got that working, you can start using another drive to reppartition as you like, as long as you follow the 3 rules above.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 07, 2016 12:10AM
Hi Bodhi,

For some reason, after a recent reboot, ssh service has crashed or something, I can't ssh into the system. I don't have a console to see what's going on ! Any suggestions ?
I have ordered a couple of USB-TTL cables to hook up so that I can have a USB console.

Thanks
October 07, 2016 03:22AM
iamauser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Bodhi,
>
> For some reason, after a recent reboot, ssh
> service has crashed or something, I can't ssh into
> the system. I don't have a console to see what's
> going on ! Any suggestions ?
> I have ordered a couple of USB-TTL cables to hook
> up so that I can have a USB console.
>
> Thanks

Ussually, when this happens the most likely problem is the rootfs has errors (if you did not change u-boot envs). So take it to another Linux box and run e2fsck to check and fix error.

If that does not help, use a different USB thumb drive and create a new rootfs from the Debian 4.4 tarball like you did in the beginning. Boot with that and set up netconsole. You might see a little more info if the error occurs before rootfs mounting.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 07, 2016 08:51PM
Hi Bidhi,

I forgot to reply. I figured it out last night mounting the disk on a linux box and looking at the /var/log/syslog. I had made some changes to sshd_config that caused it to crash...

Thanks
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.