Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Netconsole help

Posted by balanga 
Netconsole help
November 08, 2017 04:51AM
I would like to use netconsole to monitor the boot process on my GoFlexHome unit but am unsure as to how to run it. I've read:-

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14

but am unclear as to how to run the commands mentioned, eg

fw_setenv serverip 192.168.1.2
fw_setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.100
fw_setenv if_netconsole 'ping $serverip'

Where do I enter these? Do they need to appended to /boot/uEnv.txt on the USB stick I use for booting?
Re: Netconsole help
November 08, 2017 05:05AM
balanga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to use netconsole to monitor the boot
> process on my GoFlexHome unit but am unsure as to
> how to run it. I've read:-
>
> https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14
>
> but am unclear as to how to run the commands
> mentioned, eg
>
> fw_setenv serverip 192.168.1.2
> fw_setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.100
> fw_setenv if_netconsole 'ping $serverip'
>
> Where do I enter these?

These commands are Linux shell commands. So you would enter them after booted into Debian (or Arch,...).

>Do they need to appended
> to /boot/uEnv.txt on the USB stick I use for
> booting?

Not need. fw_setenv set these u-boot envs permanently to flash.

uEnv.txt is a temporary way to set envs during u-boot booting. After you booted into LInux, these setting are no longer there (the u-boot envs are reversed to orginal values in flash).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Netconsole help
November 08, 2017 05:20AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> balanga Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I would like to use netconsole to monitor the
> boot
> > process on my GoFlexHome unit but am unsure as
> to
> > how to run it. I've read:-
> >
> > https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14
> >
> > but am unclear as to how to run the commands
> > mentioned, eg
> >
> > fw_setenv serverip 192.168.1.2
> > fw_setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.100
> > fw_setenv if_netconsole 'ping $serverip'
> >
> > Where do I enter these?
>
> These commands are Linux shell commands. So you
> would enter them after booted into Debian (or
> Arch,...).
>
> >Do they need to appended
> > to /boot/uEnv.txt on the USB stick I use for
> > booting?
>
> Not need. fw_setenv set these u-boot envs
> permanently to flash.
>
> uEnv.txt is a temporary way to set envs during
> u-boot booting. After you booted into LInux, these
> setting are no longer there (the u-boot envs are
> reversed to orginal values in flash).


Also, if you have serial console then skip this netconsole stup. Wait until you have booted successfully with new u-boot, into Debian/Arch, then worry about it.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Netconsole help
November 08, 2017 01:53PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> balanga Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I would like to use netconsole to monitor the
> boot
> > process on my GoFlexHome unit but am unsure as
> to
> > how to run it. I've read:-
> >
> > https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14
> >
> > but am unclear as to how to run the commands
> > mentioned, eg
> >
> > fw_setenv serverip 192.168.1.2
> > fw_setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.100
> > fw_setenv if_netconsole 'ping $serverip'
> >
> > Where do I enter these?
>
> These commands are Linux shell commands. So you
> would enter them after booted into Debian (or
> Arch,...).

What would I enter if wanted to get my ipaddr via dhcp?
Re: Netconsole help
November 08, 2017 08:36PM
> What would I enter if wanted to get my ipaddr via
> dhcp?

You will need static IP to get netconsole working. And these 2 are u-boot envs to tell u-boot which computer (serverip) is listening to it, and then how that computer can connect to it (ipaddr).

serverip 
ipaddr

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Author:

Your Email:


Subject:


Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Message: