Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bricked pink pogoplug after installing uboot

Posted by elementz 
elementz
bricked pink pogoplug after installing uboot
May 27, 2011 09:04AM
hi all,

it seems that i have bricked my pink pogoplug (v2).
I have followed this guide http://plugapps.com/index.php5/Official_install_on_Pogoplug_V2_Pink

When running
./install_uboot_mtd0.sh
I got the following error message:

# Validating existing uBoot...
Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 64
Dumping data starting at 0x00000000 and ending at 0x00080000...
Connecting to jeff.doozan.com (69.163.187.226:80)
## Unknown uBoot detected on mtd0: 188602682dada4308e3d9945c3f6b6ed
##
## The installer could not detect the version of your current uBoot
## This may happen if you have installed a different uBoot on
## /dev/mtd0 or if you have bad blocks on /dev/mtd0
##
## If you have bad blocks on mtd0, you should not try to install uBoot.
##
## If you have installed a diffirent uBoot on mtd0, and understand the
## risks, you can re-run the installer with the --no-uboot-check parameter
##
## Installation cancelled.

So, I reran it with
./install_uboot_mtd0.sh --no-uboot-check
, as suggested in the error message.

After that I followed the guide, and all seemed to have went fine. The installation script exited with success.
I then ran
/sbin/reboot
, and after some time force rebooted the device by unplugging it, since i could not ssh into the device.

Now when trying to boot the device, the LED does not light up anymore, the device seems to not obtain any IP from the router, nor is it visible on the network.
I've tried to reboot with the usb-key plugged in, and without, but the device remains dead.

Where in the process could I have messed up the installation procedure?
And, if this device is actually bricked, I would be happy if someone could point me to resources on how to build a serial cable for the pink pogoplug.

Thx in advance for your help!
Re: bricked pink pogoplug after installing uboot
May 27, 2011 02:38PM
May 28, 2011 10:30AM
I did the same to mine yesterday :-(
Receivd in in the mail, powered up, enavle ssh, install same as you, also bricked :-(

I've taken it apart and to my surprise, it's a pogoplug pro on the inside, not a v2 as would be expected from a pink unit.
So that would also explain why it got bricked :-)
Only question now is how to get it working again.
I've been working on a serial cable, but I get no output, whatever I try.
May 29, 2011 02:12PM
I think you'll have to reprogram the Bootloader via JTAG.
Brad
February 22, 2012 12:03PM
Same exact thing happened to mine. Can't find help anywhere!
February 23, 2012 09:43AM
Commes this unit with a SATA port inside???
February 27, 2012 12:16PM
Brad ... if you've got a SATA port inside then you've got a pogoplug v3 (ox820 based) and not a pogoplug v2 (kirkwood based).

You can't 100% brick the v3 units because the rom on the CPU will boot from SATA even if the NAND is trashed.

Go to the archlinuxarm.org forums and ask for help there.
Murali
March 03, 2012 11:18PM
Exact same thing happened to my pogoplug v3 . I managed to build a SATA boot following WarheadsSE instructions. The question I have is how do I revert to my original. I have dumped my original mtd0/1 & 2; so can I restore them back, if yes how? Thanks for any help.
March 04, 2012 10:30AM
Do NOT do that using your full backup of the NAND or you will totally trash you pogo.

Use the files from the message in the ArchLinuxArm forum thread ...
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1172&start=50#p10187

He's even provided a small script in there to make it easier.

Explanation:

When you installed the wrong u-boot using the install_uboot_mtd0.sh you've overwritten the first 512KB of you NAND.

You should only try to write the first 512KB to fix things, and not use a complete NAND image.

If you use the files from the message above then you should get a working system again. Not perfect, but working.

The problem is that the first 512KB contains the stage1 boot loader and the 1st 2 copies of u-boot.

The current linux kernel does not understand the ECC format used by CE for the u-boot images and will write out versions that the stage1 loader thinks are corrupt. Lucky for you, the stage1 loader will then look at the backup u-boot images on NAND that you didn't overwrite when you installed the wrong u-boot.

This will get you working again, but it is still only a band-aid until we can actually write images that the existing system thinks are valid.
Murali
March 08, 2012 09:59PM
Hi Telzey,

Thank you for your attention and response. You give me fresh hope. I will have to try this tomorrow and if everything works out OK, I will, thanks to you, have a nice weekend. will keep you posted about my results. Cheers!
March 09, 2012 12:25PM
Hi Telzey ,
Does your workaround to restore a bricked pogo work for any unbricked pogo ? I got mine (B01) bricked while running a procedure to install SqueezePlug server using Jeffs install script. Would following your above ..
"Do NOT do that using your full backup of the NAND or you will totally trash you pogo.

Use the files from the message in the ArchLinuxArm forum thread ...
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1172&start=50#p10187

He's even provided a small script in there to make it easier."

Also work for this though this wasnt bricked while Installing the ArchLinux ?
Thanks very much.
March 09, 2012 07:55PM
Sorry, I don't know what the SqueezePlug server install script does so I can't answer.

I can tell you that it might work for you, and certainly won't make anything worse (as long as you only write the 1st 512MB).

Good luck!
March 09, 2012 09:34PM
Hi Telzey,
Thanks once again. Apparently it did not help, although as you surmised it did not hurt too. I can still boot to the SATA drive, but unplugging it renders the pogo unbootable. I am still hoping there is some hope to make the pogo boot on its own sadly I have no clue how.Thanks very much.
Andy1001
February 08, 2013 07:59AM
telzey
i tell you cant't trash your pogo and then in the next post "Do NOT do that using your full backup of the NAND or you will totally trash you pogo"???
So what now?
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.