Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug v3 Networking

Posted by echowarrior108 
Pogoplug v3 Networking
August 15, 2018 12:50PM
Here is my situation, I am now setup at home to run my network tethered to my cell phone as the cable provider I was using was unreliable at best, that being said I have found no way to connect my network to my router which was my plan and if i run my cell as a hotspot my phone provider charges the data differently than if ran as a usb tether which is unlimited, so my new plan, if i can actually do this is to run the usb tether to my pogoplug directly then use the ethernet port on the Pogoplug to run data to my router. I know this is backward but I spent days trying to do this with the router which has a usb but the network will not port from it. I am going to try this on a fresh installed Pogoplug running Debian as I bought 2 just in case I would ever have an issue and I guess now is that time. My first attempt is to actually just plug it in and maybe it will just work but as I have very little luck with that kinda thing I am sure there is a lot I will have to do to make it work even if it will. Any input about this would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

Echowarrior108

device: pogoplug-pro v3

Currently running:
Debian GNU/Linux Bullseye 12-9-22
Linux 5.4.224-oxnas-tld-1 armv6l GNU/Linux 11-27-22
Re: Pogoplug v3 Networking
August 17, 2018 07:37AM
echowarrior108 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is my situation, I am now setup at home to
> run my network tethered to my cell phone as the
> cable provider I was using was unreliable at best,
> that being said I have found no way to connect my
> network to my router which was my plan and if i
> run my cell as a hotspot my phone provider charges
> the data differently than if ran as a usb tether
> which is unlimited, so my new plan, if i can
> actually do this is to run the usb tether to my
> pogoplug directly then use the ethernet port on
> the Pogoplug to run data to my router. I know this
> is backward but I spent days trying to do this
> with the router which has a usb but the network
> will not port from it. I am going to try this on a
> fresh installed Pogoplug running Debian as I
> bought 2 just in case I would ever have an issue
> and I guess now is that time. My first attempt is
> to actually just plug it in and maybe it will just
> work but as I have very little luck with that
> kinda thing I am sure there is a lot I will have
> to do to make it work even if it will. Any input
> about this would be greatly appreciated!!
> Thanks

echowarrior,

If I understood you correctly. The USB 3G dongle is plugged in the Pogo USB port?

What you want to do is running run your Pogo NIC in bridge mode.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
August 17, 2018 09:14AM
Its actually a samsung j7 which is 4g which I plan to tether, but it should work just the same, I will try that:) Thanks!
August 20, 2018 06:29PM
Well, Before I end up slowing my pogoplug down to a screeching halt and mess it up completely i am going to opt to just tether a router, my old routers were not working with networking in this manner so I got a wrt32x and am going to set it up instead, so really i have no working setup for this to share. Didn't want to waste everyone's time trying to do this when a router is simply a better option:) Thanks!!
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.