Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GoFlex Net bricked - Forgot fw_setenv arcNumber 3089

Posted by pek 
pek
GoFlex Net bricked - Forgot fw_setenv arcNumber 3089
June 29, 2012 03:48PM
Hi All,

I've just bricked my GoFlex Net and I need help. I tried to find something on google and here but, nothing was relevant for me. I'm using Linux since few years but I'm not familiar with bootloader and this kind of installation.

What I did :
  1. I followed the instruction on the SqueezePlug wiki here:
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlug#SqueezePlug_GoFlexNet_Image
  2. Everything was fine until
      /usr/sbin/fw_setenv arcNumber 3089
    Stupidly, I skipped this previous line and ran directly
      /sbin/halt
    ... too late ... stupid guy, yes you're right ... It's for challenge you know...

I tried to boot my GoFlex without the USB key and the led was flashing orange. With the USB key plugged, it's start flashing green and then the LED turns off. The GoFlex is not connected to my network and I can't ping it (I created a rule to assign an IP to the MAC address of the GoFlex).

Could somebody help me?
Thanks in advance

pek

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 03:49PM by pek.
Re: GoFlex Net bricked - Forgot fw_setenv arcNumber 3089
June 29, 2012 10:05PM
You need to go to Varkey's site and get rootfs for GoFlex Net.
http://www.varkey.in/2011/06/boot-debian-from-sata-seagate-goflex-net/

I'm not sure if Varkey still hosts this rootfs at his site, though (I downloaded it once long ago). But the idea is that if you can put a GoFlex rootfs on a USB flash drive, then recovery is painless.

Format your USB flash drive, and untar that rootfs to it, and boot with the USB flash drive. After that you can set the arcNumber env to 3089.

Let us know if you can find it there or not. Varkey visits this forum frequently so hopefully he will notice this thread.

We usually made this type of mistake in the beginning, so don't beat yourself up :-)

Further thought: since your arcNumber is still 2097 (default). You can boot with quite a few Debian rootfs on these devices, too: Dockstar, Goflex Home, Pogoplug E02.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 10:25PM by bodhi.
pek
June 30, 2012 07:16AM
Hi Bodhi,

Thanks for your help :)

I found the rootfs in a link given by the SqueezePlug wiki, here:
http://www.squeezeplug.eu/?page_id=52

I formated a usb key (ext3 partition of 3Gb), copied the files on it (in root) and plugged it in my GoFlex Net. The led starting flashing in green at boot and after one or two minutes turns off. I can't see new client on my DHCP.

I tried with another USB key (2Gb Kingston) and I got an amber led flashing few seconds after power up.

Could you confirm the rootfs I used is the correct one? Could it be a problem with my USB key?
pek
June 30, 2012 08:04AM
I understood, I nead the rootfs from Varkey, the one from SqueezePlug doesn't seem to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 08:15AM by pek.
June 30, 2012 12:12PM
@bodhi - I didn't have a rootfs for the GoFlex Net. It was for the Pogoplug Pro I believe! ;)

The guide you followed also uses the jeff's uboot installer so you should be having the latest uboot. This rootfs will be fine -- http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,7806
June 30, 2012 04:48PM
varkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @bodhi - I didn't have a rootfs for the GoFlex
> Net. It was for the Pogoplug Pro I believe! ;)
>
> The guide you followed also uses the jeff's uboot
> installer so you should be having the latest
> uboot. This rootfs will be fine --
> http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,7806

Really? I remember it wrong then :-) it must have been your kernel that I downloaded. Sorry pek! the Davy's rootfs mentioned above should help you just fine like Varkey said. Try that and if you still have problem, try a Sandisk USB flash drive (any Sandisk USB model will work).
pek
July 01, 2012 06:24AM
Hi all,

Thanks for your help, I could connect to my GoFlex Net again using the rootfs for the Zyxell NSA320 :)

I have few questions for my understanding:
  • What is the purpose of fw_setenv arcNumber 3089?
  • There isn't any place to put a "complete" debian on the NAND, so this is why we are using an USB stick and the uBoot to boot on this drive? Am I right?
  • We can install a rescue system in the NAND flash. It's a basic debian useful when we encounter problem with the boot on the USB stick
July 01, 2012 04:38PM
pek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for your help, I could connect to my GoFlex
> Net again using the rootfs for the Zyxell NSA320
> :)

Cool:-)

>
> I have few questions for my understanding:
>
> What is the purpose of fw_setenv arcNumber
> 3089?

This is relevant to the differences between these devices, i.e. SATA, LED controls. For example, LEDs have different addresses, so the arcNumber tells which machine ID the kernel should use to provide LED control. This is on the GoFlex Home:
# ls /sys/class/leds/
. .. status:green:health status:orange:fault status:white:misc

A different leds class files set exists on Dockstar, Pogoplug E02,.... etc.

> There isn't any place to put a "complete"
> debian on the NAND, so this is why we are using an
> USB stick and the uBoot to boot on this drive? Am
> I right?

Yes. People have been successful in "squeezing" Debian into NAND, but it is a barebone system in order to fit into the limited space.

> We can install a rescue system in the NAND
> flash. It's a basic debian useful when we
> encounter problem with the boot on the USB stick
> [/list]

Yes. Much like the stock OS, we can boot without the USB.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.